1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 4, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #3,301 of 9,124
Wonder if they're not swamped with NAMM orders, I know Empire Ears told me they were...

Quick questions to those who ordered universals at 64 audio recently : is the delay announced on the website accurate (says 1 week)?
Thanks!

Sorry to bump this, I have sent an email yesterdat morning to get the confirmation of delay but had no reply yet... what is your experience with 64 audio customer support?

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #3,303 of 9,124
I've received a couple of PM's to get more impressions of the U10, so I thought I'd share some of those thoughts here:

The housings are really tiny. Frankly I'm surprised how small and I had to get my reading glasses out to read the model and serial number engraved in it to be sure it was the 10 driver model! The nozzle is pretty small too considering it has 4 bores. I don't see fit being an issue for the average person. Reversed Comply tips work pretty well. 

From what I can tell, the Adel modules makes it sound different from a normal multi-ba. It sounds more organic, more dynamic driver like. There is a sense of air all throughout the frequency response, so when I speak of the U10 having an airy presentation, it's not about how it presents treble. 

Also regarding the Adel feature, I've definitely noticed that I don't pressure build up over long listening periods. But the whole thing about listening at lower levels seems silly. The U10 has different sensitivity, so the volume clicks on my daps may be more or less depending on that. Otherwise I still listen at the same volumes, depending on mood and song. 

Bass is a pretty prominent feature. It has a rise into deep bass and extends to about 24hz before rolling off. Bass is full, rich and plentiful. Lower mids are also full and forward as well.  This works really well for male vocals and I'd say this is their specialty. Upper mids have dip, so female vocals don't have the same energy male vocals carry. Treble picks back up after the laid back upper mid but is never harsh or piercing. It's easy going treble but provides good sparkle. 

The airiness previously mentioned lends itself towards a very open ended sound. While staging doesn't come across as grand or huge, it definitely doesn't sound boxed in and head confined. It's a natural and easy going openness. Again this is more reminiscent of how dynamic drivers present the musical package than a multi-ba, so it doesn't have the separation like a typical high end multi-ba design but again presents things more organically or holistically.

So the overall presentation isn't really close to neutral, which is what I had thought when making the purchase. It's a male vocal oriented monitor with plentiful bass, and an airy, open ended presentation. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #3,304 of 9,124
  From what I can tell, the Adel modules makes it sound different from a normal multi-ba. It sounds more organic, more dynamic driver like. There is a sense of air all throughout the frequency response, so when I speak of the U10 having an airy presentation, it's not about how it presents treble. 

The airiness previously mentioned lends itself towards a very open ended sound. While staging doesn't come across as grand or huge, it definitely doesn't sound boxed in and head confined. It's a natural and easy going openness. Again this is more reminiscent of how dynamic drivers present the musical package than a multi-ba, so it doesn't have the separation like a typical high end multi-ba design but again presents things more organically or holistically.

Interesting feedback on the U10, I wouldn't have figured from the intended sound sig...

About ADEL making it sound organic and holistic, I ordered for the U12 for that reason, but it confirms that I shouldn't be disappointed, I like this kind of presentation :)

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #3,305 of 9,124
  @Canyon Runner
How's the development on the manual modules?
They haven't posted an update for almost a month,
I'm starting to worry that we won't get the manual modules

Hey man, there's currently a batch of MAMs waiting to ship up to 64. We're waiting on the boxes to arrive that they will be sold/shipped in.

I've sent out 2 pairs to reviews this last week and would have sent more but frankly, I bought up all the jewelry boxes that were available in a 20 mile radius of our town (which wasn't many at all).

As I had mentioned before, the actual hold up with the MAMs was a few people wanted them to click, not just click but CLICK loudly. Loudly enough that they could be heard over the volume of a song. That's a very very tall order when you consider the space in the actual module. About a month ago, we all discussed it at CES and decided to let the non-clicking MAMs to be offered until a louder clicking module was perfected and then offered as a version 2. But to be honest with you, a clicking function isn't really needed, it's just an added detail one of the guys thought would help a few people and it might. I use the pressure on my ear drum to tune by (closed and dial it forward until the pressure is gone), I had a friend over two night ago who isn't much into music but I walked him through tuning the MAMs and he actually found it easiest for him to just turn on music and dial until it sounded to his liking. Neither of these methods require clicking, so don't be put off by a lack of clicking the MAMs about to launch.

Also regarding the Adel feature, I've definitely noticed that I don't pressure build up over long listening periods. But the whole thing about listening at lower levels seems silly. The U10 has different sensitivity, so the volume clicks on my daps may be more or less depending on that. Otherwise I still listen at the same volumes, depending on mood and song. 

Yeah the lower volumes thing really seems to only be a thing on the Active ADEL, I listen to my A12s at the same volume as I would any other IEM, you aren't alone in that.

With the bubble, lower volumes is absolutely a thing, my hugo rarely leaves the pink zone (lowest volume) when listening to the pairing.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,306 of 9,124
New DP-X1 firmware allows browing and playing by folders?
Sorry to stray off topic but that wasn't noted at all in the DP-X1 forum.
Thanks vtkc!,  Enjoy your U12's!

Only the playing of songs by Albums is fixed as it does not further filter by artist. The folders function is yet to be updated but based on the update frequency by Onkyo, I expect it to be rolled out soon.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3,307 of 9,124
  Hey man, there's currently a batch of MAMs waiting to ship up to 64. We're waiting on the boxes to arrive that they will be sold/shipped in.

I've sent out 2 pairs to reviews this last week and would have sent more but frankly, I bought up all the jewelry boxes that were available in a 20 mile radius of our town (which wasn't many at all).

Thanks for clarifying :))
Really wish they could just tell us with an update or e-mail whatsoever
Just tell us what your doing or where your stuck at and I think people can understand

If the CLICK is audible while playing music, won't it be TOO LOUD if we were NOT playing music?

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,308 of 9,124
  Thanks for clarifying :))
Really wish they could just tell us with an update or e-mail whatsoever
Just tell us what your doing or where your stuck at and I think people can understand

If the CLICK is audible while playing music, won't it be TOO LOUD if we were NOT playing music?

YES!!! That's been our running comment the whole time during development. But if that's what is requested, we do our best to meet that request, Vitaliy/Bogdan/Vlad call the shots, it's not our job to tell them it's not needed. If they want a loud click, they get the loudest click we can possibly do! 

As time goes on and a few more MAMs trickle their way out to users before the official launch, clicking is becoming less and less important to the majority of users. I think it's going to end up being a quieter click, which has been attained a number of times in different ways. So we're looking at the best of those normal volume options and implementing that for the Version 2.

I agree and can understand your frustration about not being kept in the loop. Honestly, after CES and NAMM in the same month the 64 guys are so busy filling those orders that I'm not sure if there's really time to juggle one more ball. They literally ran out of impression material by the 2nd day of NAMM because so many people were placing orders and Westone was kind enough to give us spare material to help out. The Westone guys are top notch.

Plus, since the modules are all done down here in Colorado, they email or call Stephen or I about the status as people ask them. So it's really mostly on me to relay those updates on here to people. But again, if the people aren't on head-fi an email would probably be ideal to keep them in the loop as well, I agree. I'll look into trying to make something like that happen for those customers.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,309 of 9,124

Listened to the Mojo just recently with my A12. Enjoyed the bass & soundstage and was disappointed with the softness of the treble. Some of the comments on the A12 signature that didn't match my experience make a bit more sense now.

Granted I don't own a DAP to compare against. This is in contrast to my desktop rig of an MHDT DAC and Project Ember amp (at a combined cost ~20% more than MJ).

If you don't need a portable aetup (I know, I know, we're talking iems and many of you are on the go) the Ember is very much worth consideration. Great product, sound, value for $, and exemplary customer service.

Find yourself a decent pure silver cable mate, it will take care of it - it adds some sparkle into the lower treble/upper mid, makes it sound much, much better

I am using Beat Titan at the moment, and am waiting for Ted's pure silver balanced cable.

TWau Reference OM - oh, my!!!  Starting to test it right now.  It's pricey due to gold-plated pure silver wire, but it elevates A12 to a whole new level!!!

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #3,310 of 9,124
I got news from 64 Audio about the U12 orders, FYI they don't have it in stock and build them per order.
Mine should ship next week :)

Originally Posted by twister6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TWau Reference OM - oh, my!!!  Starting to test it right now.  It's pricey due to gold-plated pure silver wire, but it elevates A12 to a whole new level!!!

Nice to know, I am looking at cables for the U12, already had TWspc and TWcu from Whiplash, good cables...
Looks like something like Rhapsodio 2.98 SG cable, must be great!
Much more expensive though...

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #3,311 of 9,124
  I got news from 64 Audio about the U12 orders, FYI they don't have it in stock and build them per order.
Mine should ship next week :)

Originally Posted by twister6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nice to know, I am looking at cables for the U12, already had TWspc and TWcu from Whiplash, good cables...
Looks like something like Rhapsodio 2.98 SG cable, must be great!
Much more expensive though...

This one is brand new TWau reference with a new 2pin Over-mold connector - very soft: http://www.whiplashaudio.com/new-flagship-twau-reference-gold-plated-silver-with-new-om-over-mold-2pin.html

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #3,312 of 9,124
  I've received a couple of PM's to get more impressions of the U10, so I thought I'd share some of those thoughts here:

The housings are really tiny. Frankly I'm surprised how small and I had to get my reading glasses out to read the model and serial number engraved in it to be sure it was the 10 driver model! The nozzle is pretty small too considering it has 4 bores. I don't see fit being an issue for the average person. Reversed Comply tips work pretty well. 

Bass is a pretty prominent feature. It has a rise into deep bass and extends to about 24hz before rolling off. Bass is full, rich and plentiful. Lower mids are also full and forward as well.  This works really well for male vocals and I'd say this is their specialty. Upper mids have dip, so female vocals don't have the same energy male vocals carry. Treble picks back up after the laid back upper mid but is never harsh or piercing. It's easy going treble but provides good sparkle. 

So the overall presentation isn't really close to neutral, which is what I had thought when making the purchase. It's a male vocal oriented monitor with plentiful bass, and an airy, open ended presentation. 

Thanks for the review! How does the sound signature and sound quality of the U10 compare to the Empire Zeus? For example, I heard the Zeus has even more bass & mids..

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #3,313 of 9,124
Thanks for the review! How does the sound signature and sound quality of the U10 compare to the Empire Zeus? For example, I heard the Zeus has even more bass & mids..

The U10 has more bass quantity than Zeus but Zeus middle mids are much more forward. Zeus has more treble sparkle as well but without direct a/b I can't say if it's due to brighter treble or just not being as bassy, so that treble is perceived as brighter.

Zeus doesn't sound open and airy like the U10 but sounds taller and much deeper. Zeus has the best layering and front to back imaging I've heard.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #3,314 of 9,124
can anyone tell me which is the most bass heavy one out of them all

u12-u10-u8

I am not into clarity or transparent sound sigs, I am more of an analogue sound sig lover, warm layered and must be a forgiving iem

some iems that are very detailed with bad recording to me sound bad not because of the iem because of the songs and how they have been recorded

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #3,315 of 9,124
From what I have read U8 would be it but I'll let the owners of U8 confirm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back