1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Jan 31, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #3,272 of 9,124
I am using my U12 with the DPX1. I only have the stock cable and is only able to listen via SE. What I can say about it is that the sound stage is really immense and precise, details of the tracks are just laid out to you but everything is in a laid back manner. It is very relaxing and fun to listen with. My Balanced cable is on it's way now and will be giving a short write-up with the Balanced output when it arrive.

For cable, I can't recommend much as I'm fairly new into this game too but some of my friends recommend the Forza cables.

Thank you. I look forward to your write up when your balanced cable arrives. Which one did you select?

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #3,273 of 9,124
I just got my A8s a few days ago. I want to post a picture to the thread, but my account still hasn't been approved to change my profile picture or upload photos... My account is a year and a half old though?

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3,276 of 9,124
  are there any u12 owners that use it with ak380 and amp

and how does the u12 pair with the ak380 and amp

as I have the shure 846 and pairs very well with that combo

while my sony z5 pairs very bad and sounds so dull with that combo

so is the u12 a great pairing with ak380 and amp, with great dynamics 

i hope it will be not a disappointing pairing especially in the bass department

I spent sometime with my A12 and the amped 380, honestly I didn't think it was any better than the Mojo (but cost MUCH more), while still liking the Hugo & A12 pairing more than the 380 by a good margin.

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #3,277 of 9,124
Listened to the Mojo just recently with my A12. Enjoyed the bass & soundstage and was disappointed with the softness of the treble. Some of the comments on the A12 signature that didn't match my experience make a bit more sense now.

Granted I don't own a DAP to compare against. This is in contrast to my desktop rig of an MHDT DAC and Project Ember amp (at a combined cost ~20% more than MJ).

If you don't need a portable aetup (I know, I know, we're talking iems and many of you are on the go) the Ember is very much worth consideration. Great product, sound, value for $, and exemplary customer service.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #3,278 of 9,124
I listened to the Mojo and the DP-X1 with my U6 (unbalanced in each case) and to be honest, based on this pairing, I couldn't really understand what the hype about the Mojo is about.

I preferred the DP-X1. 

But this was 20 - 30 mins of listening in e-earphone Akihabara in less than ideal conditions so take this with a pinch of salt.

To my ears I felt the DP-X1 indeed had better soundstage, layering and separation and was noticeably cleaner and less warm than the Mojo. Mojo had a warmer punchier sound, but I don't think the A6 is lacking in the warmth department and ended up with just a less appealing sound with a "greyer" background ... maybe no synergy?

Having said that the DP-X1 UI is a bit annoying. It doesn't have file view. Some people say the streaming and apps other than the default Onkyo app does not make use of the dual amps as well as it should and is noticeably noisier (didn't get a chance to try), and putting my own uSD card into the slot cause the DP-X1 to glitch and fail to find any files if I let the auto-indexing do its thing (I had to restrict the DP-X1 to indexing specific folders I wanted to audition). My gut feel is that all this would be fixable if Onkyo bothered to keep pushing out firmware updates. So buyer beware for now, it feels a little half finished.

Having said that I haven't heard a better sounding Android based DAP for that price and I would have bought it outright except it was out of stock in the Xmas period in Japan :frowning2:

Maybe by the time I get organised enough to buy it there will be an MQA enabled firmware that fixes or the glitches or a DP-X2 in the market already ...

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #3,279 of 9,124
DP-X1 is constantly being updated at the first week of each months, so far there have been 2 maintenance updates with MQA still not on sight.

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,280 of 9,124

Having said that the DP-X1 UI is a bit annoying. It doesn't have file view. Some people say the streaming and apps other than the default Onkyo app does not make use of the dual amps as well as it should and is noticeably noisier (didn't get a chance to try), and putting my own uSD card into the slot cause the DP-X1 to glitch and fail to find any files if I let the auto-indexing do its thing (I had to restrict the DP-X1 to indexing specific folders I wanted to audition). My gut feel is that all this would be fixable if Onkyo bothered to keep pushing out firmware updates. So buyer beware for now, it feels a little half finished.

Having said that I haven't heard a better sounding Android based DAP for that price and I would have bought it outright except it was out of stock in the Xmas period in Japan :frowning2:

Maybe by the time I get organised enough to buy it there will be an MQA enabled firmware that fixes or the glitches or a DP-X2 in the market already ...

Do you mean one cannot navigate via folders then play entire folder content?

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #3,283 of 9,124
I listened to the Mojo and the DP-X1 with my U6 (unbalanced in each case) and to be honest, based on this pairing, I couldn't really understand what the hype about the Mojo is about.

I preferred the DP-X1. 

But this was 20 - 30 mins of listening in e-earphone Akihabara in less than ideal conditions so take this with a pinch of salt.

To my ears I felt the DP-X1 indeed had better soundstage, layering and separation and was noticeably cleaner and less warm than the Mojo. Mojo had a warmer punchier sound, but I don't think the A6 is lacking in the warmth department and ended up with just a less appealing sound with a "greyer" background ... maybe no synergy?

You can't form a proper judgement based off that sort of exposure. I was initially put off by mojo but after giving my brain a chance to get accustomed to the sound I am gleeful every time I get to listen to it. Even mo3's sound incredible. I know I'll never buy another dac/dap unless it's a chord product. Rob watts said something like after many months of listening he still hears new things with mojo-I agree, you have to give your brain time to adjust. So glad I didn't sell mine, love it.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #3,285 of 9,124

Yep. It only indexes based on tags/metadata.

Which is a bit of a nightmare for my collection of poorly tagged music collected since the late 90s ...

A negative for me as well...best case scenario is it will be fixed in a DP-X1 firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back