1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Jan 26, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #3,226 of 9,124
so... question for the ADEL owners..
I have been considering upgrading - I'm a serious "weekend-warrior" musician with a set of 1964 Qi's (CIEM), who played more than 75 gigs last year - and that doesn't include my Sun am church gigs - where I also use my Qi's.
Other than that, the only time I really use them is on business trip flights across country.

I understand the "audio" benefits of using the ADEL's + the associated expense, but here's one concern I have.
The + side of CIEM's is that they need remolding to be used by someone else.
That means - from what I've seen/heard - there's not a lot of theft of these devices.

Since the ADEL's cartridges "slide" into the space in the shell, once Asius releases their user-adjustable (click?) units I see the potential for the cartridge to become the theft target. If you play bass (as I do, along w/ guitar) the removal of the cartridge means there's no bottom end and the CIEM's are essentially rendered useless.

At $400~ to replace both sides, has anyone brought up or addressed the theft potential? Laying them down, and finding the cartridges gone, when one returns?  Anyone considered this, or am I being overly paranoid???

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,227 of 9,124
I have been considering upgrading - I'm a serious "weekend-warrior" musician with a set of 1964 Qi's (CIEM), who played more than 75 gigs last year - and that doesn't include my Sun am church gigs - where I also use my Qi's.
Other than that, the only time I really use them is on business trip flights across country.

I understand the "audio" benefits of using the ADEL's + the associated expense, but here's one concern I have.
That means - from what I've seen/heard - there's not a lot of theft of these devices.

Since the ADEL's cartridges "slide" into the space in the shell, once Asius releases their user-adjustable (click?) units I see the potential for the cartridge to become the theft target. If you play bass (as I do, along w/ guitar) the removal of the cartridge means there's no bottom end and the CIEM's are essentially rendered useless.

At $400~ to replace both sides, has anyone brought up or addressed the theft potential? Laying them down, and finding the cartridges gone, when one returns?  Anyone considered this, or am I being overly paranoid???

Where did you get 400 to replace both sides? I dont believe thats an accurate number. Its more along the lines of 1-200.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #3,228 of 9,124

I thought you were paranoid before you got to the part about having the cartridges stolen. :) 

Why would someone steal that cartridges or even know to steal the cartridges? I would assume they would steal the whole IEM.

With regards to not having a CIEM stolen, I would assume that no one would know its a custom and so I doubt that would deter them.

With all of that said, I wouldn't worry about having these stolen.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,230 of 9,124
I agree that you shouldn't have to worry about having the modules stolen. I'd imagine if anyone around you knew about the ADEL modules enough to want them for themselves, that very fact would out them as the culprit, and they'd know it, too...if it ever happened.

I think it's not very likely.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,231 of 9,124
i am so eager to get the promised impressions of egguy comparing the u12 to shure 846

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #3,232 of 9,124

Where did you get 400 to replace both sides? I dont believe thats an accurate number. Its more along the lines of 1-200.

I believe (I read in this thread?) that the auto models are $199 each..  that's ~$400 for both sides.
If that's not the price, then I stand corrected.. 

https://www.1964ears.com/product/ADEL-Auto-Modules

Auto modules are $99 for a pair. Manual modules are being targeted for $199 a pair.
Just jump in, do not over think.

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #3,233 of 9,124
While it is probably true that there's someone who will steal anything, it's a low probability event.  If you're really worried about it there are two things you can do.  The first is to not lay your IEMs down where anybody can snatch them. You can put them in a pocket or drape them around your neck or whatever.  The second is buy insurance for them.

My guess is that nobody will bother to steal your modules, they'll take the cIEMs without even knowing what they have....

Don't overthink it, just get them and live a little.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #3,235 of 9,124
Possible U10/12 owner here coming from IE800. I'm going to CanJam Singapore to audition some IEMs and this one intrigues me especially with the ADEL technology. I kinda dislike warm-ish sound, I prefer flat-brighter sound with clear separation of layering. Which one would suit me better? I heard U12 has even more emphasis for bass than U10. I'm going to use it through 2.5mm port of my Onkyo.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #3,236 of 9,124

...if you insisted on taking out your modules (for whatever reason), why wouldn't you just put them in your pocket?

Manual Adjustable Modules (MAMs) will be priced at $199 for THE PAIR. There's alot more that goes into them than building the auto modules. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #3,238 of 9,124

In other news, my U10 should arrive on Monday.  Looking forward it!

...and straight it went to FS section 
wink_face.gif

You didn't like to sound if I assumed correctly?

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #3,239 of 9,124
  I am still in the midst of testing and comparing my u12 vs the competitors...personally, the u12 is amazing. It is hitting every single aspect of sound I could ever desire. It is neutral to my ears while still having a personality. Amazing soundstage and imaging. I am not new at all to the iem game, and I will say I catch myself with instances of paranoia, thinking I am hearing sounds that are really from the u12, rather than my home. 

I have the same feeling mate 
bigsmile_face.gif
 it puts everything else I have to shame...the seperation and transparency, especially the midrange, is just breathtaking...

I am using a silver cable with mine (Beat Audio Titan), and the sound is one step better than the standard cable 
wink_face.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #3,240 of 9,124
...and straight it went to FS section :wink_face:

You didn't like to sound if I assumed correctly?

There is a difference between RAW flat measurements and COMPENSATED flat measurements.  Indeed a flat RAW measured IEM would sound quite bad. This is because an IEM is missing the effects of the outer ear and torso.  This is what compensation is for. There are 2 main competing compensation methods in the industry: diffuse field compensation and the harman target (which is still under development and research). And of course there are a few others that are really hybrids of diffuse field and the X-room curve. Those linked IF articles are great for understanding the basics of measurements. As if all that isn't complicated enough, people are posting measurements in a vacuum of unknown measurement rigs with unknown parameters,compensation methods and tools; which, quite frankly, do more harm than good and cloud interpretations and preconceptions, making it murkier for deriving accurate and useful information. 

In other news, my U10 should arrive on Monday.  Looking forward it!

I was also surprised how fast your U10 made it to FS thread. Is it that bad? :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back