1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 28, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #2,957 of 9,124
Love all the comments about the "realism" of these IEMs. It's really quite amazing how, if aural cues match up to what your brain expects, the feeling that a sound is coming from a physical object in real life is magically enhanced and multiplied. Vertical soundstage wasn't quite the best to my ears (emphasis) when I tried out the U12, but essentially everything else was perfect, so I'm waiting on the next line of IEMs to see if that spot can be taken care of for me. Then I'll have my end game, and I will most likely rarely ever come to these forums again! In the meanwhile, Havi serves me well enough for VR, but I'll come over to the light when the time is right.

The goal is to have a perfectly replicated and simulated reality, at least visually and aurally. Imagine putting on a pair of goggles + earphones and teleporting to your favorite artist's stage or studio, and being able to hear and see everything as if they were right beside and all around you. We're getting there. I look forward to 1964 Audio and ADEL's future advancements. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #2,958 of 9,124
EDIT: not sure what I was thinking about, when writing this post - but these are absolutely not V-shaped. Sorry :wink: Suppose I wanted to express I'm not happy with their signature, and mistakenly just wrote V-shaped :wink: .. their signature is mostly with bass and mids elevated, which results in the feeling there is not much clarity. There surely is, but the lower mids are emphasised, and it can feels like little dark, which is not necessarily bad. Your ears can get used to it after some 'brain burn-in'. But when you switch to the UE Reference Remastered for example, you immediately notice more details in the tracks.

Just got my U12. Sadly I'm not too impressed with the sound signature. Product package, build and their universal fit - this is all perfect. But to my ears they produce V-shaped sound which just doesn't represent what I was looking for. My expectations were somewhere around 'rich reference' .. but this is way too different when compared to Layla / UERR. Details and soundstage is exceptional, there is nothing wrong. But sound signature is changed from how the original recordings should sound. Not sure why 64 Audio does it that way. Why there is not in the first place just reference sound, with all its advantages of TOTL universal in-ear which you can easily 'mess up' to your taste with the EQ, AMP or however...

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,960 of 9,124
Try it with different tips ... most agree the comply tips dulls the sound. The spinfits on the other hand brings a fresh breath of air to the U12.

The U/A10 is the reference monitor of the 64 lineup i believe.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #2,962 of 9,124
I agree with the others in that the U10/A10 would have been more tailored to that neutral sound signature you prefer. At least that's what they've said on Kickstarter and at trade shows. The A5/U5 is also along those lines, but it's only a two way crossover, so I'm not sure how that would compare to other 3-way crossovers.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,964 of 9,124
Just got my U12. Sadly I'm not too impressed with the sound signature. Product package, build and their universal fit - this is all perfect. But to my ears they produce V-shaped sound which just doesn't represent what I was looking for. My expectations were somewhere around 'rich reference' .. but this is way too different when compared to Layla / UERR. Details and soundstage is exceptional, there is nothing wrong. But sound signature is changed from how the original recordings should sound. Not sure why 64 Audio does it that way. Why there is not in the first place just reference sound, with all its advantages of TOTL universal in-ear which you can easily 'mess up' to your taste with the EQ, AMP or however...

Like hell Layla has a rich reference sound signature. IMO they are way more V shaped and changes the original recording more than the U12 with their recessed stuffed tissue mids.
Try changing your comply tips to a silicone/hybrid type. Or maybe your U12 is a bit of a variant as I don't find much emphasis on the highs to make it a V shaped.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2,965 of 9,124
And give it some time to burn your brain in.  You may grow to love it.  Back in Kickstarter days I debated back and forth between the A10 and A12 knowing that the A10 was more neutral which was my preference.  I popped for the A12 almost on a whim and I have grown to love it.  It is not dark or over-emphasized in the bass to the point it colors the mids, it's just that when there's bass in the track the A12 let's you know it with some pretty impactful energy.  It literally surprised me the first time I heard it, i flinched and then smiled.  Give it some time and experiment with tips.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,966 of 9,124
Sorry guys for the confusion..

EDIT: not sure what I was thinking about, when writing this post - but these are absolutely not V-shaped. Sorry :wink: Suppose I wanted to express I'm not happy with their signature, and mistakenly just wrote V-shaped :wink: .. their signature is mostly with bass and mids elevated, which results in the feeling there is not much clarity. There surely is, but the lower mids are emphasised, and it can feels like little dark, which is not necessarily bad. Your ears can get used to it after some 'brain burn-in'. But when you switch to the UE Reference Remastered for example, you immediately notice more details in the tracks.

Quote:
  Try it with different tips ... most agree the comply tips dulls the sound. The spinfits on the other hand brings a fresh breath of air to the U12.

Yes you are right. You have to try the U/A10 as they are tuned to be more neutral.

I agree with the others in that the U10/A10 would have been more tailored to that neutral sound signature you prefer. At least that's what they've said on Kickstarter and at trade shows. The A5/U5 is also along those lines, but it's only a two way crossover, so I'm not sure how that would compare to other 3-way crossovers.

Like hell Layla has a rich reference sound signature. IMO they are way more V shaped and changes the original recording more than the U12 with their recessed stuffed tissue mids.
Try changing your comply tips to a silicone/hybrid type. Or maybe your U12 is a bit of a variant as I don't find much emphasis on the highs to make it a V shaped.

And give it some time to burn your brain in.  You may grow to love it.  Back in Kickstarter days I debated back and forth between the A10 and A12 knowing that the A10 was more neutral which was my preference.  I popped for the A12 almost on a whim and I have grown to love it.  It is not dark or over-emphasized in the bass to the point it colors the mids, it's just that when there's bass in the track the A12 let's you know it with some pretty impactful energy.  It literally surprised me the first time I heard it, i flinched and then smiled.  Give it some time and experiment with tips.

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #2,967 of 9,124
+ the U12 signature really opens up when the Comply tips are changed to silicone tips. This is now different game! Actually all IEMs plays their exact sound signature with the proper seal with foam tips.. but it gets boost in higher mids and highs with the use o silicone tips. So this is little 'fake' U12 signature, but who cares :wink:

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #2,968 of 9,124
There will be more varients coming. The auto is pretty much a done deal, manual will soon be upgraded to having an audible clicking as you dial in the adjuster. This way youll be able to count clicks to get to your desired settings, rather than just knowing when it sounds perfect to you.

Is there really "noticeable" sound changes when tuning the module?

And how will it effect the ambient noise when turned all opened?

Is it possible to hear others talking while playing music? 

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,969 of 9,124
  Is there really "noticeable" sound changes when tuning the module?

And how will it effect the ambient noise when turned all opened?

Is it possible to hear others talking while playing music? 

Yes there is a drastic difference between open and closed, really just think closed back to open back headphones. Much more airy and natural sounding.

All the way open will obviously let in ALOT of ambient noises, it's not really noticeable if you're listening to music (very much depends on the volume however). I leave mine in all day at work and just hit the pause button to carry on conversations. You'll still have the boomy-in-head sound like with air plugs and such, but the noises coming in are very natural sounding and normal volume (or really close to it at least).

If I'm listening to music at a medium volume and somebody approaches from behind me, I still tend to hear them if they're talking, but wouldn't hear their foot steps on concrete. Sorta a weird thing to describe honestly, hope it paints a picture somewhat to what you were hoping to have answered.

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #2,970 of 9,124
+ the U12 signature really opens up when the Comply tips are changed to silicone tips. This is now different game! Actually all IEMs plays their exact sound signature with the proper seal with foam tips.. but it gets boost in higher mids and highs with the use o silicone tips. So this is little 'fake' U12 signature, but who cares :wink:

Pairing the A12 w/the mojo really cleans and focuses the bass-increasing it's resolution-beinging out the mids and highs more. I believe (and others with the same gear have echoed this sentiment) that the mojo turns the A12 into an A10. Mojo is warm-but clinical and insanely detailed, If you want to tame the sub bass Of the A12-it's just what you need.

It's very strange but others have the same reaction to the ADEL equipped units-shock with dissapointed to-but later go on to say it's the best they own. Maybe it takes some getting used to a completely new form of CIEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back