1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Nov 5, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #91 of 9,124
  So there are some new facts and some questions.

Fact (or seems a fact) we will need to open the vent to gain the benefits of ADEL.

questions:
Will the amount we open the valve have any affect on how much ADEL does it's job?
 a. will it be a linear relationship or just the tiniest opening of the valve will allow ADEL to do it's full job?
Will the bass response go down more with the valve being opened more or is it a all or nothing proposition?

Are these being tuned for ADEL and valve being open to sound their best with it in the open possition.
SHOULD WE HAVE TO EQ to get bass back or should it not be bumped up to a point that it sounds RIGHT with the valve open (ADEL enguaged) which is the point of any of us buying this at least as I see it?

Other info:

I asked today whether they were going to retro fit this onto older customs (a refit of sorts) and was given a maybe, they are checking on it tomorrow and I may have something to report on that.

On a personal note I WANT to buy it especially the 12 driver hahaha, but these questions make me hesitant not to get stuck with a BETA product or something which was built with lots of good ideas but not grounded in a well designed product (usability for consumer well thought out, not as in cool ideas merged in product form which it already it :) )

That's actually a good question and one I'm going to e-mail 1964ears about right now. How have they been tuned. Is the sweet spot with ADEL active (port open)? or with port closed?

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #92 of 9,124

$300 is 40% off ($499 MSRP) - The custom quad without ADEL is $549 - so maybe $50 less than a regular custom? Or worst case - the same with the big boys? $699 V6-ADEL - $899 V8-ADEL

EDIT: Hell, the ADEL Ambient Series has a 12 driver universal
Sounds about right

So I know the number of driver isn't any indication of quality but that's weird you can get more in the lower end Ambient series than the 1964 universals. 

The into given out so far seems a bit of a let down. Maybe because of how they sort of drummed up the expectations. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #93 of 9,124
damnit. may go with U6s
  So there are some new facts and some questions.

Fact (or seems a fact) we will need to open the vent to gain the benefits of ADEL.

questions:
Will the amount we open the valve have any affect on how much ADEL does it's job?
 a. will it be a linear relationship or just the tiniest opening of the valve will allow ADEL to do it's full job?
Will the bass response go down more with the valve being opened more or is it a all or nothing proposition?

Are these being tuned for ADEL and valve being open to sound their best with it in the open possition.
SHOULD WE HAVE TO EQ to get bass back or should it not be bumped up to a point that it sounds RIGHT with the valve open (ADEL enguaged) which is the point of any of us buying this at least as I see it?

Other info:

I asked today whether they were going to retro fit this onto older customs (a refit of sorts) and was given a maybe, they are checking on it tomorrow and I may have something to report on that.

On a personal note I WANT to buy it especially the 12 driver hahaha, but these questions make me hesitant not to get stuck with a BETA product or something which was built with lots of good ideas but not grounded in a well designed product (usability for consumer well thought out, not as in cool ideas merged in product form which it already it :) )

Agree with all your questions. Let's see how much those U6's are.

EDIT: btw, they also claim that ADEL gives a fuller, richer sound so.... SQ improvementsts is what they claim as well

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #94 of 9,124
I went and read around a bit about this technology and the stapedius reflex... seems to me it's questionable, the claims made...

Actually turns out Inner fidelity has something on this and they are skeptical: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/inventor-stephan-ambrose-claims-development-safer-ear-tip

I am now not very convinced about this being actually anything other than a protection device that adjust the frequency response for you so you don't kill your ears jacking up the volume. Seems I can protect my hearing by reducing the volume myself. I run at very low volumes anyhow.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #95 of 9,124
  I went and read around a bit about this technology and the stapedius reflex... seems to me it's questionable, the claims made...

Actually turns out Inner fidelity has something on this and they are skeptical: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/inventor-stephan-ambrose-claims-development-safer-ear-tip

I am now not very convinced about this being actually anything other than a protection device that adjust the frequency response for you so you don't kill your ears jacking up the volume. Seems I can protect my hearing by reducing the volume myself. I run at very low volumes anyhow.

So by that do you mean it adjusts the frequency response to sound say clearer via reduced bass response so that you can hear the detail with less volume? or is the response adjusted by some other means?

Does it seem than the pneumatic wave seperate from the sound waves is causing the damage/trauma?

If this is the case then wouldn't ear buds like the crap that ships with the iphone be safe as they do not seal? Same as for over ears? or would those still cause damage over say 80 decibils where sealed IEM's would be at lower volumes or not even in relation to the volume?

yup LOTS of marketing talk, which is saying very little but hints at big things :wink:

Love your take on it and any one elses!

Also a link to the stuff you read even if over PM if for some reason you can not post here, I am always wanting to try new toys but my main reason for this is the superior sound while saving my ears and if this is just marketing and not based in science and EAR health then I would rather open up my options for new toys :wink: that and my wife will certainly not want to buy new customs for herself unless it WILL save her hearing compared to her current V6 stage.

Edit:

How did I not see your link?

reading it now :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #96 of 9,124
An interesting article where the author had the opportunity to listen to prototypes of the ADEL technology. Gives some indication ADEL may have a positive impact on sound quality.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/through-diaphonic-lens

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #97 of 9,124
Stephen Ambrose invented the first In ear monitor, 1964 Ears make some of the best IEM's in the world, I doubt that a company like this would put their entire reputation on the line for a gimmick. I personally spoke to Vitaliy at 1964, from what he said is there is a sweet spot (open vent/ membrane tension) that you hit with the adel, Once you hit that spot you'll never go back. Stephens credibility seems legit since he has news articles to prove it. Kind of sucks for Jerry because 1964 Ears has exclusive rights to this technology. Im pretty sure reviewers will get the prototypes in a few weeks and we can hear it from someone who actually listened to them instead of hashing over the specs.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #99 of 9,124
  Stephen Ambrose invented the first In ear monitor, 1964 Ears make some of the best IEM's in the world, I doubt that a company like this would put their entire reputation on the line for a gimmick. I personally spoke to Vitaliy at 1964, from what he said is there is a sweet spot (open vent/ membrane tension) that you hit with the adel, Once you hit that spot you'll never go back. Stephens credibility seems legit since he has news articles to prove it. Kind of sucks for Jerry because 1964 Ears has exclusive rights to this technology. Im pretty sure reviewers will get the prototypes in a few weeks and we can hear it from someone who actually listened to them instead of hashing over the specs.

Looks like all your 7 posts here is regarding this product, and you spoke to Vitality.  
wink.gif
 Sounds like valve is actually a valve.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #103 of 9,124
Thanks for the link, jumped on the A12 but might shift to A10 depending on how they further compare their signatures to the V series.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #104 of 9,124
On Kickstarter there is a more detailed drawing of the ADEL device and it shows the membrane sits between your eardrum and the "ambient" port. It appears (thankfully) a typical ambient port (direct to the outside world) isn't needed for the ADEL technology to work.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #105 of 9,124
Wow, 4 bore design... not many customs have that so far.. but only 3 way crossovers! :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back