1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 12, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #8,191 of 9,124
Quick comparison between adel and apex
Shout out to Vlad of 64audio for providing me with the m15 module free of charge.
Imo, I feel that the apex modules are superior in sq and technical capabilities.the adel modules make u lose too much microdetailing. I only noticed this when I was switching between the m15 and b1 modules. However,I feel that the adel modules are better at relieving fatigue. This is not to say that the apex modules do not relieve fatigue but the adel modules just do a better job.
Comparisons
B1 Vs m15
M15 has wider soundsatge ,clearer bass, better microdetailing and better isolation
Less bass than the m20, s1, g1 modules.
S1 Vs m20
Much wider sound stage, better bass and microdetailing. Better isolation too. Reflects what is supposed to be the original tuning of the iem.
G1 Vs m20
G1 has better punch and rumble but m20 has tighter bass. G1 is airier but m20 has wider soundstage
Overall, I feel that the modules are complementary to each other, with the apex modules offering better isolation and sq for outdoor listening / monitoring but the adel is better for relaxed listening/ listening indoors. The only thing left for 64 to do is to replicate the effect of the g1 module and we r all set to go

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #8,192 of 9,124
The beauty of ADEL IEMs is that you can use so many modules to fine tune your experience. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #8,193 of 9,124
The beauty of ADEL IEMs is that you can use so many modules to fine tune your experience. 

thank god I have the empire spartan adel and the legacy u4se which accepts the adel modules :joy:

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #8,194 of 9,124
Ike,

Yikes, that's not good.  Our stock cables are meant to be gripped by the raised oval details for removal but from experience I know how it's possible to break a cable off in the socket now and then especially when it's already going bad... the worst thing ever is having a pin break off flush in a socket.

When we do recessed sockets, we model a small notch in the shell and then float the socket in place and bond it in during assembly.  It's possible that they end up a bit crooked in relation to the flat edge they're installed on, but sometimes this is even intentional if there's a tight fit or a driver in the way.  If the socket is slightly skewed in relation to that flat edge it shouldn't have any effect on the cable.  The sockets that we use have a very snug fit the first few times two-pin connectors are installed and it can be traumatic for customers that aren't comfortable with swapping cables.  We are looking to transition to a new two-pin socket design that offers easier insertion and more consistent fit.  I have some samples of the standard connector, they're awesome, and will look into the possibility of getting recessed sockets in this newer style.

Also, for anyone that has had problems with our stock cables breaking around the connector, we have basically eliminated that problem by updating the cable ends to glass-filled resin.  So far, we haven't had a single returned cable.  We currently only have them in black, 48" and 64", and are waiting for samples in silver/grey.

- Chris

Cool improvement! I would have loved to grip the cable correctly, believe me I tried everything and the cable was already broken near the entrance anyway. Wish the glass resin was available when I ordered my A12's. Glad to see the improvements.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #8,195 of 9,124
My experience with impedance adapters was not a good one.  Everything sounds dead and compressed.  Only when I installed the M15 and used a balanced amp and cable (no impedance adapter) is when the A12's turned from a good to a great sounding CIEM.

Yes, the impedance adapters SEEM to reduce the dynamism but maybe I'm not volume matched.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #8,197 of 9,124
Thanks for the link @DWbirdseye
!

This this may at least be partly what is behind some people loving impedance adapters with the A12/U12 and others (like me) finding they noticeably degrade the sound quality of the A12/U12.

From the article by @shotgunshane

IIUC, on a phone/DAP/amp that uses digital volume control the sound level is reduced by reducing the bit depth of the digital stream.  With high sensitivity IEMs the volume level can be quite high even at low to moderate volume control settings such that most listening is done via the reduced bit depth.  Adding a impedance adapter reduces gain - so you must turn the volume control higher to reach the same volume level - which means you are much more likely to be listening to your music at its full bit depth (16 or 24).

While I'm pretty sure the headphone out of cell phones use digital volume control, what about the currently popular portable gear (DAPs & amps)?  Is the assumption that higher end units have analog volume controls correct?

Would someone mind summarizing the main points.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #8,198 of 9,124
my cable broke at the connectorl on one side as well. It looks like the plastic just split (bad molding?). I've ordered custom cable from PeterK and
hoping my cable holds till the new one comes in.
I'd say it's probably bad QC on the supplier of the connectors to 64 Audio, and not 64 Audio QC.
I find the stock cable to be quite microphonic so it's no great loss as I was replacing it anyhow.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #8,199 of 9,124
my cable broke at the connectorl on one side as well. It looks like the plastic just split (bad molding?). I've ordered custom cable from PeterK and
hoping my cable holds till the new one comes in.
I'd say it's probably bad QC on the supplier of the connectors to 64 Audio, and not 64 Audio QC.
I find the stock cable to be quite microphonic so it's no great loss as I was replacing it anyhow.

My A12's came with the black cable and the 2-pin side is nice and strong.  Also the cable is nice and flexible and no microphonic issues.  These must be the new cables Chris was talking about.  It sounds like 64 Audio is correcting this known issue.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #8,204 of 9,124

Users who are viewing this thread

Back