1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #2,236 of 9,124
@Tim Tse, Thanks for advising on the manual modules. My U8s shipped today and should be here by the end of the week. I'm excited, and went with the warmer U8s, as I wanted to complement other IEMs, but am regretting not having made the jump to the U12s or even the U6s. Those Kickstarter prices are not coming back.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #2,237 of 9,124
So, my u8's arrived earlier. A random assortment of photos below... Really do need some different tips for these, apart from the SpinFits, anyone else know what would fit the 5mm nozzle? Is there a tip guide somewhere on Head-Fi that lists different tips and their diameters? 

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #2,238 of 9,124
Hey there,

Has anyone had experience with the A3? I am debating between the A3 and the equally priced V6-S, wondering whether or not the ADEL technology justifies the 3 driver difference... I have heard great things about the V6-S, but a service representative from 1964 Ears recommended the A3 instead, suggesting that "even if you have to settle for less drivers, the way the ADEL technology improves the clarity and sound stage of the earphones makes the A-Series a better buy," -- making my decision very difficult!

I am a jazz drummer and my main focus is on precision and clarity for the purpose of transcription and playalong. Being able to clearly distinguish the (upright) bass notes is very important to me for transcribing harmony and walking bass lines, while still having a balanced sound and clearly distinguishing between harmonies in the horns. As a drummer, I of course am looking for crispness and cleanliness in that regard as well.

I have never had customs before. My only previous experience with high quality IEMs has been the Heir 4.Ai universal, which I found lacked bass. I was intending to buy customs with this purchase, but seeing the A3 + V6-S for $699 each vs the U6 for 899, I am now debating coughing up a bit more cash for the universal... What are your opinions on the custom vs universal debate? I have read some other threads on this but would love some feedback relating to my specific situation.

TL;DR - A3 vs V6-S vs U6? (ADEL vs more drivers vs both, but universal and pricier)

Thanks in advance; really appreciate your time and this large knowledge base!

EDIT: Here is an example of some of the music I frequent:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uwdb38cseod4dn5/AADROuZJk80pdAW2Lor_8Yvla?dl=0

The types of walking bass lines I am talking about are exemplified well in: Delfaeyo's Dilemma, Freddie Freeloader, Moment's Notice, and This Is For Albert.

Also worthy of note, I listen to most of my music in mp3 320kbps directly from my iPod Classic 240GB (I believe it is a 160GB, just modded).

Thanks again!

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #2,239 of 9,124
My U6 looks exactly like that, except it has transparent cable so there probably no point in me posting potato quality pictures of my U6.

So far I really like the sound of the U6 (not sure if it's still the honeymoon period or whatever).

Other tips I have found that fit the nozzle are the Sony hybrid tips and the JVC spiral dot tips. The spiral dot tips seem to be too wide bore and just slide all the way down the bottom of the nozzle so don't work well for me.

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #2,241 of 9,124
  My U6 looks exactly like that, except it has transparent cable so there probably no point in me posting potato quality pictures of my U6.

So far I really like the sound of the U6 (not sure if it's still the honeymoon period or whatever).

Other tips I have found that fit the nozzle are the Sony hybrid tips and the JVC spiral dot tips. The spiral dot tips seem to be too wide bore and just slide all the way down the bottom of the nozzle so don't work well for me.

These tips?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA

Or the foam filled ones?
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOACS-46164

I'm pretty sure they'd be the same diameter anway. Might pick some up.

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #2,242 of 9,124

These tips?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA

Or the foam filled ones?
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOACS-46164

I'm pretty sure they'd be the same diameter anway. Might pick some up.

I'm pretty sure both will fit because both of them came with my XBA-H3. I didn't really like the foam filled ones with the H3 because it made the already bassy H3 waaay too bassy (and have since lost them).

Might be okay for the U6 though (which I think sounds faster and tighter and has less mid-bass compared to the H3).

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #2,243 of 9,124

I'm pretty sure both will fit because both of them came with my XBA-H3. I didn't really like the foam filled ones with the H3 because it made the already bassy H3 waaay too bassy (and have since lost them).

Might be okay for the U6 though (which I think sounds faster and tighter and has less mid-bass compared to the H3).

Based on some other comments here, I made an order a couple pairs of the spinfit tips. I'm hopeful they're as comfy as long-lasting as some others have said. We'll see...

But I'll agree that it would be good to have a tip-guide for the U-series to get a feel for what others are using and liking the most.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #2,244 of 9,124
  Hey there,

Has anyone had experience with the A3? I am debating between the A3 and the equally priced V6-S, wondering whether or not the ADEL technology justifies the 3 driver difference... I have heard great things about the V6-S, but a service representative from 1964 Ears recommended the A3 instead, suggesting that "even if you have to settle for less drivers, the way the ADEL technology improves the clarity and sound stage of the earphones makes the A-Series a better buy," -- making my decision very difficult!

I am a jazz drummer and my main focus is on precision and clarity for the purpose of transcription and playalong. Being able to clearly distinguish the (upright) bass notes is very important to me for transcribing harmony and walking bass lines, while still having a balanced sound and clearly distinguishing between harmonies in the horns. As a drummer, I of course am looking for crispness and cleanliness in that regard as well.

I have never had customs before. My only previous experience with high quality IEMs has been the Heir 4.Ai universal, which I found lacked bass. I was intending to buy customs with this purchase, but seeing the A3 + V6-S for $699 each vs the U6 for 899, I am now debating coughing up a bit more cash for the universal... What are your opinions on the custom vs universal debate? I have read some other threads on this but would love some feedback relating to my specific situation.

TL;DR - A3 vs V6-S vs U6? (ADEL vs more drivers vs both, but universal and pricier)

Thanks in advance; really appreciate your time and this large knowledge base!

EDIT: Here is an example of some of the music I frequent:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uwdb38cseod4dn5/AADROuZJk80pdAW2Lor_8Yvla?dl=0

The types of walking bass lines I am talking about are exemplified well in: Delfaeyo's Dilemma, Freddie Freeloader, Moment's Notice, and This Is For Albert.

Also worthy of note, I listen to most of my music in mp3 320kbps directly from my iPod Classic 240GB (I believe it is a 160GB, just modded).

Thanks again!

Earlier in this thread I did a comparison over most of the Adel line. IMO, you'd be best off with the A3. The custom fit really, really helps with clarity (IMO, of course) and also, the universal versions tend to have emphasized mids, and slightly recessed bass and treble, in comparison to the custom versions (That's coming directly from someone who works at 1964). If I recall correctly, the universal version of the A3 was a very good earphone, I'd say it was probably better than the universal V6-s.

I am a very happy owner of the A6, and I love it. I got mine for $900, since I was a bit early to the party, but I would happily have paid full price for them, they are that good.

That being said, if all you're looking for is clarity with bass, and you're okay with recessed mids, then I would suggest the A4 custom. It's the same price as the U6, but still custom, and the clarity in the bass is ridiculously good. It's something to consider. Especially when playing live, I think that a custom monitor will serve you FAR better than any universal would. The comfort is amazing, and honestly, they're much better than the universal versions (imo) as far as sound quality goes.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,245 of 9,124
This is a tip to anyone with dehumidifier that 1964 provides(the all plastic one) .  DO NOT microwave it for more than 20 seconds and allow it to completely cool before you insert it for another 20 seconds.  Usually mine takes a total of 3 20 second sessions to be all the way orange again.

Also, what do you guys think about using a can of air(held upright of course) to lightly spray out the adel sound tube to remove debris after the module has been removed?

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2,246 of 9,124

Earlier in this thread I did a comparison over most of the Adel line. IMO, you'd be best off with the A3. The custom fit really, really helps with clarity (IMO, of course) and also, the universal versions tend to have emphasized mids, and slightly recessed bass and treble, in comparison to the custom versions (That's coming directly from someone who works at 1964). If I recall correctly, the universal version of the A3 was a very good earphone, I'd say it was probably better than the universal V6-s.

I am a very happy owner of the A6, and I love it. I got mine for $900, since I was a bit early to the party, but I would happily have paid full price for them, they are that good.

That being said, if all you're looking for is clarity with bass, and you're okay with recessed mids, then I would suggest the A4 custom. It's the same price as the U6, but still custom, and the clarity in the bass is ridiculously good. It's something to consider. Especially when playing live, I think that a custom monitor will serve you FAR better than any universal would. The comfort is amazing, and honestly, they're much better than the universal versions (imo) as far as sound quality goes.

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely leaning toward the A3 right now -- just tough to cough up $1000 CAD before hearing them myself... My ideal would be the A6 customs, but my wallet says otherwise. I don't think the A4 would be right for me due to the unbalanced sound. At this point it's very likely that I'll go for the A3; I just hope that it has enough bass for my needs!

On another note, any guesses as to when they'll have their next sale? Black Friday, perhaps?

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2,248 of 9,124
I just received my U8's and I'd try to write a review here but I'm too busy being ASTOUNDED by how amazing they sound.  The level of detail and separation blows away anything I've heard to date.  It actually took me several songs to "adjust" because it sounded so clear and distinct that it sounded wrong at first.

I have a certain test track (The Bell - Mike Oldfield) that is my standard test track for speakers/headphones and I thought I honestly knew every tiny detail and every note in that entire song, based on repeated listening over time, but I swear I could hear tiny details that were unclear before.  Amazing.  I'm so happy!

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #2,249 of 9,124
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely leaning toward the A3 right now -- just tough to cough up $1000 CAD before hearing them myself... My ideal would be the A6 customs, but my wallet says otherwise. I don't think the A4 would be right for me due to the unbalanced sound. At this point it's very likely that I'll go for the A3; I just hope that it has enough bass for my needs!

On another note, any guesses as to when they'll have their next sale? Black Friday, perhaps?

I can't say anything for a sale, but I can tell you that all of the Adel series has a very impressive deep bass extension, especially considering that they're balanced armature drivers.
This is a tip to anyone with dehumidifier that 1964 provides(the all plastic one) .  DO NOT microwave it for more than 20 seconds and allow it to completely cool before you insert it for another 20 seconds.  Usually mine takes a total of 3 20 second sessions to be all the way orange again.

Also, what do you guys think about using a can of air(held upright of course) to lightly spray out the adel sound tube to remove debris after the module has been removed?
you should be totally fine, since it's completely a standalone tube, so I doubt it would matter.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #2,250 of 9,124
Spang-a-lang

I am happy with where the bass is at with the U6. As a whole i would say it sounds balanced with some mid sweetness so female vocals sound a bit forward and sweet. But thats not a bad thing (its my preferred balance).

Having said that it has very impressive low end rumble when called for (eg, massive attack's Angel). I also had no trouble following the bassline on Freddy Freeloader (i used to play bass at a very amateur level in my yoinger days) although the balance is biased towards the piano on the sample track you posted, however I think that was intended in the mix.

I hope that gives you a bit of a reference. I think the U6 is easily one of the if not the best universal I have heard for the described sound presentation and a steal at the KS price IMO. If i wanted a darker warmer sound I would choose the Fitears which I auditioned in Japan but those start at double the price of the U6...

I suspect the 3 driver version (A3) would have a very similar balance to the U6 (1-1-1 config rather than 2-2-2). If you can try the 3 versus the 6 I would recommend going to have a listen and if the difference is marginal, go for the custom A3.

Never heard the V6-S so cant comment but my issue with BA drivers has always been that blocked ears feeling after awhile which fatigues the ear and I have to say I haven't had that so far with the U6 so if you have issues with that so of thing I would definitely give the Adel version a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back