~$1500 Audio Setup (Headphones + Amp + DAC)
Aug 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

MasterDood

New Head-Fier
Hi there, this is my first post on this forum, i came here because i need some advice
Let me explain:
Finally i managed to save up some money for a good audio setup
I can spend around $1500 (even a little more if it's worth) for a pair of headphones, a headphone amp and a dac
And i need some suggestions

I like neutral and clean audio

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 37
Hi there, this is my first post on this forum, i came here because i need some advice
Let me explain:
I can spend around $1500 (even a little more if it's worth) for a pair of headphones, a headphone amp and a dac

Audio-GD NFB-11 external DAC/amp, $400
Audio Technica ATH-W1000X closed headphones, $520

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 37
I'll second the Audio-GD NFB-11.

Then for headphones, see these reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 37

Let me explain:

Are you looking for a portable set-up or a home unit?

I'm no expert in the home set-up side but portable I can help with.

For neutral and clean sound if you want in ears I highly recommend the Shure SE846 ($1,000) with either the blue (neutral) or white (bright) filters. These are my personal favorite headphones I've ever listened to bar none. Now in terms of your dac the Astell and Kern AK100 (500ish) I haven't personally used this but I've heard numerous good things about plus it hold your music as well so that'll be two birds in one stone though you do sacrifice your amp. If you definitely want the amp and dac I've been looking into the Fiio X3 ($250) and it has really great reviews and ratings plus that's 250 bucks more in your pocket.

If you want over ear I really love the Beyerdynamic T5p (1400) everything else in my recommendation would be the same. But these are absolutely amazing completely clean bass with no decay the mids are exact and the high are unfiltered which is exactly what you'd expect from a reference class headphone to this degree.

Again I reiterate this is more of the mobile set-up which is what my profession entales I don't want to recommend anything to someone that I haven't been able to experience myself. So if it's a home or hard set-up you're looking for then hopefully this is at least an idea of brands to look into. Hope I helped best of luck to you in your search.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 37
The HiFiMan HE-560 is one to consider, most are saying it's quite neutral.  For whatever headphones you're looking at, I advise looking in the appropriate thread in it for amp/DAC recommendations, such as this thread for the HE-560:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 37

Audio-GD NFB-11 external DAC/amp, $400
Audio Technica ATH-W1000X closed headphones, $520

While the ATH-W1000X is a nice for what it does, it is hardly a neutral headphone.

HE-560, like mentioned above. With the alternate pads it is neutral and clean. Otherwise also consider the HD800, though it takes a little work to tame it's treble.

The Audeze has a very laid back presentation, leaning towards dulness. It is non-fatiguing but also not neutral.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 37
While the ATH-W1000X is a nice for what it does, it is hardly a neutral headphone.

HE-560, like mentioned above. With the alternate pads it is neutral and clean. Otherwise also consider the HD800, though it takes a little work to tame it's treble.

The Audeze has a very laid back presentation, leaning towards dulness. It is non-fatiguing but also not neutral.

Is the Audio-GD NFB-11 ok for the HD800?
I heard it's picky about amps

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 37
What kind of music u listen to?

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 37
That's the problem, i listen to a lot of different kinds of music
List it anyway. If there's enough of a "concentration," you might be able to pinpoint a model that gives you the most versatility. If not, consider Cel's suggestion and pick up a couple pairs and maybe a couple of cheap amps (depending on the headphones) to get an introduction to each.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 37
Is the Audio-GD NFB-11 ok for the HD800?
I heard it's picky about amps

I don't prescribe to the whole amp synergy thing. Look at it this way: get an amp with a decent reputation to start out with and you can always sell it or upgrade later.

Then you might want two sets of headphones.

What? How does that make sense? Get a pair of good, neutral headphones and they'll be fine with everything/

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 37
What? How does that make sense? Get a pair of good, neutral headphones and they'll be fine with everything

No. What doesn't make sense is how anyone who has been a member on Head-Fi since 2008 would need an explanation as to why many people have more than one headphone.

Obviously, many people find that one headphone may create a more enjoyable headphone for some genres, and a different one for others. For instance, there are a lot of people here that like having a neutral headphone and a colored bassy headphone that is more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back