~$1500 Audio Setup (Headphones + Amp + DAC)
Aug 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #16 of 37
No. What doesn't make sense is how anyone who has been a member on Head-Fi since 2008 would need an explanation as to why many people have more than one headphone.

Obviously, many people find that one headphone may create a more enjoyable headphone for some genres, and a different one for others. For instance, there are a lot of people here that like having a neutral headphone and a colored bassy headphone that is more fun.

It doesn't make any sense contextually. You have a newcomer looking for a good pair of neutral headphones and instead you suggest that they get two pairs with presumably different tuning.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #17 of 37
 It doesn't make any sense contextually. You have a newcomer looking for a good pair of neutral headphones and instead you suggest that they get two pairs with presumably different tuning.

It does make sense contexually. The OP said, in the post I replied to,

That's the problem, i listen to a lot of different kinds of music

As you should know, newbies often come to head-fi seeking one thing, and in the "context" of getting advice, end up finding that something else/something more better suits their needs. My suggestion is certainly a reasonable one to consider given the concern that the OP expressed with that comment and given that we know so little of the "context" of his experience with headphones and audio equipment or why he has decided on neutral headphones.

So it would be much easier to let the OP say "I hadn't thought of that" or "No, I definitely want to stick with neutral headphones" rather than starting a disagreement because the only solution you can imagine is one set of neutral headphones.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #18 of 37
List it anyway. If there's enough of a "concentration," you might be able to pinpoint a model that gives you the most versatility. If not, consider Cel's suggestion and pick up a couple pairs and maybe a couple of cheap amps (depending on the headphones) to get an introduction to each.
What kind of music u listen to?

Mainly i listen to IDM, but i also like prog rock, post rock, jpop, chiptune, breakcore and "Bemani music"

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #19 of 37
So it would be much easier to let the OP say "I hadn't thought of that" or "No, I definitely want to stick with neutral headphones" rather than starting a disagreement because the only solution you can imagine is one set of neutral headphones.

I like neutral and clean audio

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 37

Hi there, this is my first post on this forum, i came here because i need some advice

Let me explain:

Finally i managed to save up some money for a good audio setup

I can spend around $1500 (even a little more if it's worth) for a pair of headphones, a headphone amp and a dac

And i need some suggestions

I like neutral and clean audio

Are you looking for a portable set-up or a home unit?

I'm no expert in the home set-up side but portable I can help with.

For neutral and clean sound if you want in ears I highly recommend the Shure SE846 ($1,000) with either the blue (neutral) or white (bright) filters. These are my personal favorite headphones I've ever listened to bar none. Now in terms of your dac the Astell and Kern AK100 (500ish) I haven't personally used this but I've heard numerous good things about plus it hold your music as well so that'll be two birds in one stone though you do sacrifice your amp. If you definitely want the amp and dac I've been looking into the Fiio X3 ($250) and it has really great reviews and ratings plus that's 250 bucks more in your pocket.

If you want over ear I really love the Beyerdynamic T5p (1400) everything else in my recommendation would be the same. But these are absolutely amazing completely clean bass with no decay the mids are exact and the high are unfiltered which is exactly what you'd expect from a reference class headphone to this degree.

Again I reiterate this is more of the mobile set-up which is what my profession entales I don't want to recommend anything to someone that I haven't been able to experience myself. So if it's a home or hard set-up you're looking for then hopefully this is at least an idea of brands to look into. Hope I helped best of luck to you in your search.

I may be missing something, but I for one wouldn't want a headphone with bass with no decay.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #22 of 37
Mainly i listen to IDM, but i also like prog rock, post rock, jpop, chiptune, breakcore and "Bemani music"

It can be fun to have some bassier headphones like the HE-400 for listening to EDM and other bass heavy genres. Grados are fun for rock when you want that kind of sound that creates a more aggressive response from the guitars.

What kind of audio setup do you have right now?

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 37
Thanks for your help guys, you are awesome

I forgot to specify that i'm looking for

an over ear home setup, and the audeze look very nice

Someone mentioned the ATH-5000 In headphone terms look into this mans review it was INCREDIBLEY informative and detailed to every minute detail (Couldn't find the share button or a way to hyperlink the page so you'll have to copy and paste in the search bar).

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #24 of 37
It can be fun to have some bassier headphones like the HE-400 for listening to EDM and other bass heavy genres. Grados are fun for rock when you want that kind of sound that creates a more aggressive response from the guitars.

What kind of audio setup do you have right now?

Mdr v6, a cheap stereo receiver, a pair of very old sony bass reflex speakers and a ps1 modded as a cd player

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 37
You might consider upgrading your whole setup. Even a $400 pair of headphones is a big improvement over the Sony MDR-V6, and then it's easy to improve on Sony speakers.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #27 of 37
You can take my Decware Taboo Model3 for $1100.  (perfect shape)

SOLD................ Or my Schiit  Gungnir and Mjolnir with USB for $900 (perfect shape)

Or my Koss ESP-950 electrostatic head speakers for $500 (perfect, but too big for my head.)

Or my Vincent Tube line stage preamp Not really head phone relater, but why not. (perfect condition. and $1750 new) for $800

Whats the deal?

I'm in a hospice in Oakland and need to get rid of this stuff so I have some money for services once  I'm gone (a "Silent Headphone')

That adds up to $2900, but if someone would take the whole pile, I'd be greatful and let it all go for $2500.

I'm in downtown Oakland and can't leave the facility. Neither am I able to ship so the lucky person will have to live within driving range of my nursing home.

Thanks for reading;

Ms. Kim E.

One more piece that must go... Mcintosh MC 2505 Stereo Amp w/meters and headphone jack. Asking $1000 obo.

Kim

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #28 of 37
Originally Posted by Kim Kiddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for reading;

Ms. Kim E.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you have a happy life and a peaceful passing.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #29 of 37
  You can take my Decware Taboo Model3 for $1100.  (perfect shape)

Or my Schiit  Gungnir with USB for $500 (perfect shape)

Or my Koss ESP-950 electrostatic head speakers for $500 (perfect, but too big for my head.)

Or my Vincent Tube line stage preamp Not really head phone relater, but why not. (perfect condition. and $1750 new) for $800

Whats the deal?

I'm in a hospice in Oakland and need to get rid of this stuff so I have some money for services once  I'm gone (a "Silent Headphone')

That adds up to $2900, but if someone would take the whole pile, I'd be greatful and let it all go for $2500.

I'm in downtown Oakland and can't leave the facility. Neither am I able to ship so the lucky person will have to live within driving range of my nursing home.

Thanks for reading;

Ms. Kim E.

It is a path everyone in here takes....prepared or unprepared;
i wonder who will inherit my gears,  once in a while when i let my tots travel.
So far my hobby has been a "secret" of sorts....
my family might give away my decware as scrap !?!

Back on topic...what is IDM???  lol

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #30 of 37
If the receiver has a digital in, I'd use the receiver for both amp and DAC and spring for a used HE-6 and mod them. Give us your receiver model number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back