$150 speakers better than $600 headphones
Jun 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #16 of 75
funny

because my DT990's and a average-decent tube amp sounds better than speakers in the $5k range.

your amping/sourcing must be inadequate.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 75
David.M, would you please tell us what a $5,000 speaker sounds like? Are you saying that a price tag makes speakers sound identical? Also, what $5,000 speakers have you listened to? Where did you listen to them and for how long? If you don't mind, please explain why a certain dollar amount represents a certain level of quality. Would raising the price on an item cause it to sound better? What if the raw materials of an item are about $50, but the seller decides to sell it for $2,000. Then there's a 50% off sale, and it goes for $1,000. Would that item sound like a $50, $1,000 or $2,000 piece of gear? Oh, and if someone buys it at $1,000 then sells it for $500 on Audiogon, does it start sounding like a $500 piece of gear? And maybe, ten years on, the item becomes a classic and sells for $5,000 on Audiogon. Would it then sound like a $5,000 piece of equipment?

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 75
Quote:
David.M, would you please tell us what a $5,000 speaker sounds like? Are you saying that a price tag makes speakers sound identical? Also, what $5,000 speakers have you listened to? Where did you listen to them and for how long? If you don't mind, please explain why a certain dollar amount represents a certain level of quality. Would raising the price on an item cause it to sound better? What if the raw materials of an item are about $50, but the seller decides to sell it for $2,000. Then there's a 50% off sale, and it goes for $1,000. Would that item sound like a $50, $1,000 or $2,000 piece of gear? Oh, and if someone buys it at $1,000 then sells it for $500 on Audiogon, does it start sounding like a $500 piece of gear? And maybe, ten years on, the item becomes a classic and sells for $5,000 on Audiogon. Would it then sound like a $5,000 piece of equipment?

Hahahahahahah--phew, lemme catch my breath--hahahahahahahahaha!

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 75
U.Erik:

No, i have not heard $~5k and up speaker set-ups per say. Although, i have heard many around the 1-2 grand territory ranging from Monitor Audio RS6's to the Klipsch HD theatres. And have always favored mid range headphones with proper equipment to scale well with top tier speaker configs for the price/performance ratio.

But wait...   hasn't it always been like this by the books? Headphone set-ups out-doing speaker set-ups ranging in the mid level category, but... speakers winning in the end once the price gets to a certain limit.

That's what it always seemed like to me.  I  thought head-fi revolved around this theory, On paper, it seems agreeable to the majority of people on these forums, but i guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #22 of 75
@OP: I assure you, your logitechs are crap. The denons are known to require an amp for best performance so if you aren't amping them you are doing yourself a disservice.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 75

Quote:
Would raising the price on an item cause it to sound better? What if the raw materials of an item are about $50, but the seller decides to sell it for $2,000. Then there's a 50% off sale, and it goes for $1,000. Would that item sound like a $50, $1,000 or $2,000 piece of gear? Oh, and if someone buys it at $1,000 then sells it for $500 on Audiogon, does it start sounding like a $500 piece of gear? And maybe, ten years on, the item becomes a classic and sells for $5,000 on Audiogon. Would it then sound like a $5,000 piece of equipment?

More $ = moar better sound!!!!!!111 

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #24 of 75

More $ = moar better sound!!!!!!111 

I'm working on a research paper that tracks sound quality along with inflation rates, the monetary supply and the relationship of the dollar to other currencies. My rig, for whatever reason, started sounding better not too long ago. Couldn't figure it out at first, then I realized that the weakening Euro had pushed up the value of my sound quality.

Who knew?

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #25 of 75

Quote:
@OP: I assure you, your logitechs are crap. The denons are known to require an amp for best performance so if you aren't amping them you are doing yourself a disservice.

If he thinks the Logitechs sound better, then they sound better to him.  What exactly are you assuring him of?  Oh hey, look what else isn't completely neutral:

The headphones he doesn't like.  And what headphone is?  I guess they are all "crap" by someone's standards.

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 75
My ESI nEar 05 monitors I got for $230us amaze me just as much as my DT880 600ohm with M3 amp (AD8065 op amp on L and R and OPA627 for Ground). But you can't compare speakers to headphones. Speakers can sound a LOT better than headphones if you have the right setup. What amazes me with speakers is that the singer's voice is right in front of me. Whereas with headphones, their voice is blended between the Left and Right channels. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #27 of 75
I remember I had a talk with Yikes at the NNJ meet last year, and he told me that I'm lucky that I don't like expensive headphones as much as lower end, because that way you can enjoy the music more for a fraction of the price. A real oddity I've found at the NNJ meet were that the HD650 (With HEAVY ampage) and PX100 (Connected to an iTouch) have pretty similar sound, my rig costed $100 through good deals and the HD650's were up somewhere in the $7,000 range. I also discovered that I think the D7000's aren't very good (at least for my music).

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #28 of 75
The D5000's aren't amped and they are a headphone known to benefit greatly from proper amping. Also it does take a bit of time to appreciate the differences between headphones and speakers because coming from speakers initially headphones will sound weird. I still maintain the opinion that all logitech speakers are crap. 
Quote:
If he thinks the Logitechs sound better, then they sound better to him.  What exactly are you assuring him of?  Oh hey, look what else isn't completely neutral:

The headphones he doesn't like.  And what headphone is?  I guess they are all "crap" by someone's standards.

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 75
The higher price tags come with a greater sense of superiority, making them sound better to the listener.  Psychology plays a bigger role in hi-fi than most admit, but I am sure you are already aware of this. Mr. Daivid.M should be careful not to make his own opinions sound like facts.

Quote:
I'm working on a research paper that tracks sound quality along with inflation rates, the monetary supply and the relationship of the dollar to other currencies. My rig, for whatever reason, started sounding better not too long ago. Couldn't figure it out at first, then I realized that the weakening Euro had pushed up the value of my sound quality.

Who knew?

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jun 29, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #30 of 75
If I could find a pair of $150. that sounded as good as a $600. I would drive hours to buy them.
wink.gif

I have a pair of Revel Concerta F12 speakers that rated pretty high in Stereophile matched with an REL R-205 - The speakers are around $1500.(but comparable to higher priced per Stereophile??) and the sub is around $1200. but still my headphones get 95% of the listen time.  I don't know if they compare to any of my phones.... and my Audio Engine A5 don't even come close to any and they were around $350.

I definitely don't have anywhere near the speaker system of many out here so not trying to toot my own horn but the point is, even though the sound is very different, to me, there is just no comparison, headphones per dollar trump speakers for SQ.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back