Mar 14, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #47 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Forgive me for being stupid, but what exactly is the benefit of HDCD?
confused.gif

HDCDs are encoded at 20 bits (rather than the standard 16). But only some players can read the extra 4, most players will just read the regular 16. You probably have a bunch and don't even know it. Their publicity is pretty much non-existent most of the time. Anyway, it's not a gimmick, but to answer your question, unless you have a compatible player (it would have an indicator light that tells you when it's playing one, and most likely would have the HDCD logo somewhere on it), there really is no benefit. But if you have a player they sound great. More in depth info here:

http://hdcd.com/

Mar 14, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #48 of 182
Can't say I heard much of a difference for hdcd's when I had an hdcd player. The thing is they are usually great recordings already so no big deal.

Biggie.

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #50 of 182
Microsoft bought HDCD and it is supported in Windows Media Player, so you can see the HDCD logo appear when playing a compatible CD.

My friends NAD C542 has the MS logo printed on the front LOL!

Back on topic, here's a recent news post from Toolband.com which has some info on the next album.

Quote:

CAMELLA HAS MY RADIO SHACK VOICE RECORDER

Evidently, the golden bowl of Jelly Belly’s in Tool’s rehearsal space is running low, because while dining on Indian cuisine the other night at the Bollywood Café, Danny told me that they’d knocked out another song that very afternoon. In describing it, he mentioned something or other about Maynard’s vocals – something that he seemed excited about, although to be perfectly honest, I really don’t remember what it was. At the time I was content with my papadam and glasses of Taj Mahal. From what he said about the timing and chord structure, however, this piece sounded like the song Adam played unplugged for Vidal last March in Havana as we sat on the balcony of a casa particulare (after eating those mysterious hamburguesas near Cementerio de Colon). I could have asked AJ, who was sitting at the other end of the table, but, at the time, he appeared to be enjoying his papadam and various exotic condiments as well, so, instead, I changed the subject and talked to Danny about Collodi’s Pinocchio.

After sampling several curries and another large Taj Mahal, I popped a green opal (an Icelandic pastille) and headed with the others to a nearby pub that we’ll call the “Slug and Lettuce” for some pints of Old Peculiar ale. While sipping the treacley stuff (molasses?), Camella mentioned something about the song being “heavy” – either that or she was talking about the Theakstons. You might be as horrified as a puffin at Porrablot (even if not among the delicacies on the menu), but I really don’t remember which it was. So, perhaps I should pay a visit to the loft tomorrow to have a listen for myself, and to see exactly how many of those new-fangled jelly beans are left in the golden bowl.

Some Tool enthusiasts might be happy to know that, in order to meet their self-imposed deadline for finishing material for the new record, the members of the band will be working on Valentine’s Day and the more heathen Roman Feast of Lupercalia, with writing/arranging sessions going well into what Milton called “the palpable obscure.” So, while some of you ladies are picking through your beribboned boxes of confectionery, Godiva or otherwise, with strawberries enrobed in chocolate and flutes of sparkling French champagne to be sipped ‘neath the waxing crescent - all because Claudius the Cruel had Saint Valentine beheaded - remember who is working hard to create more of those “chromatic tortures” that pierce the aeythrs in your bedroom. Therefore, any sightings of band members tonight only proves that their Doppelgangers also have lady friends and don’t suffer from, what has been called, the deficiency of Venus.

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #52 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Hooray for progress, albeit wrapped around a nutty story
tongue.gif

From what recall of the Lateralus rumours, Tool won't give away one iota of straight info.
It's all red herrings.
cool.gif

And it seems they've hired scrypt to be their spokesperson.
600smile.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #54 of 182
Quote:

Therefore, any sightings of band members tonight only proves that their Doppelgangers also have lady friends and don’t suffer from, what has been called, the deficiency of Venus.

Funny, doesn't this last line negate all they were saying about working over the holidays?
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #55 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Funny, doesn't this last line negate all they were saying about working over the holidays?
tongue.gif

Hey, you have to take a break from work at some point! With all that thinking and brain power, it's ok to think with the "other white meat" for a night or two
eek.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #57 of 182
I guess he didn't get the joke. Chicken of the Sea. Other white meat. Make the connection.

As for the alternate order, I'm not buying it. Tracks that segue from one to another instead make an awkward jump to the new track following it (which isn't mentioned in the article) and he makes some rather strange connections ("I hope you choke" --> dry heaving on Mantra). I think in the fervor to find hidden messages, people are creating things in their mind that aren't there, especially this guy. You only hear it if you want to hear it. I paid special attention to the transition between tracks and I couldn't get it. And then he gets really weird and starts going on about CDA vs mp3 making an essential difference and that's why people immediately go out and buy a replacement for a broken or scratched disc. I figured people just replaced it because it was a good album, unlike my copy of Metallica's "St. Anger" that accidentally met it's unfortunate demise colliding with a road sign at 60+mph. I hardly believe everything Tool puts on an album has a hidden meaning. And yes I do believe some of it is drug induced.

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #58 of 182
I finally bought Lateralus today. I was planning on buying Aenima first, but Lateralus was the only Tool album they had at the store.

This afternoon I read Pitchfork's review of it, and wasn't sure what to think. The guy gave it a 1.9, but the only part of the review that mentions the album is written buy a Crispin Fubert who loved it. Does anyone have any insight on what the reviewer was trying to accomplish?

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...ateralus.shtml

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #59 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I finally bought Lateralus today. I was planning on buying Aenima first, but Lateralus was the only Tool album they had at the store.

This afternoon I read Pitchfork's review of it, and wasn't sure what to think. The guy gave it a 1.9, but the only part of the review that mentions the album is written buy a Crispin Fubert who loved it. Does anyone have any insight on what the reviewer was trying to accomplish?

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...ateralus.shtml

Who cares what the reviewer thought of it, we're more interested in hearing your thoughts!

edit: I just read most of that review, he should at least get most of the lyrics right when quoting them
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #60 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Who cares what the reviewer thought of it, we're more interested in hearing your thoughts!

edit: I just read most of that review, he should at least get most of the lyrics right when quoting them
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, I meant to mention this, but I have not yet had time to take a listen. As of yesterday I had six new albums that I hadn't heard yet, so I will probably get around to Lateralus tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back