Mar 2, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Hmmmm most systems I play Aenima on, it sounds pretty bad. I'm a bit confused here. Actually I would list Aenima under one of the crappiest sounding CDs I have, along with anything by Dream Theater. You wouldn't believe the work it takes me for tones to sound natural and drums to have a normal kick on these types of albums. Don't even get me started about cymbals....

I thought "compression" was supposed to be a bad thing, but it seems people use the term in opposite contexts. I don't get it.

To quote the site
"Aenima - Tool
Mastered by Bob Ludwig. Engineered by David Bottrill. An example of a progressive metal CD for the 90’s that is not smashed to the wall. The squashing is for artistic effect rather than absolute loudness or mastering volume. A very large dynamic range makes it very attractive. Can be harsh when loud, but that is the sound. Volcano Entertainment, 61422-31087-2, ©1996."

And it sounds fine over here with a lack of compression quite apparent and that is what is being cited in the article. No it isn't audiophile grade but it is pretty good. Cymbals are good too. Frankly I wish more CDs were like this.

evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

product_img_right.jpg

Mar 3, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #17 of 182
LOL@ Eyeteeth
600smile.gif

Sduibek: I wholeheartedly agree with you. MANY albums that could be GOLD, but marred by terrible production. I like lots of dynamics, perhaps that is why I like Awake so much. Opeth are, IMO, very good examples of godlike talent, but Blackwater Park just does not have the power and dynamics like MAYH and Still Life.

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #19 of 182
Well you guys have encouraged me to get "tool"ed so to speak just to find out what they are about. Nice, a bit heavier than I expected but its rapidly growing on me.

Sound quality is for me good. In fact, some of the deep bass in track two is exceptional. Very clear upper highs. The dynamic range is a welcome change after the "Norah Jones" albums. I would rate this as better than most in production (TMCE: to my cloth ears).

And the more I listen the more I appreciate the "artistry"...

Thanks again head-fi.

TonyAAA

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #20 of 182
On the subject of tool anyone who hasn't seen this before should take a look..

I really like the reorganised sequence and with a bit of editing of the gaps between tracks you can make the whole album flow incredibly well. its the weirdest experience hearing an album you think you know off by heart but in an order that means that there are now far more natural transitions between songs (that somehow you've never noticed before) and the 'random' tracks (eon blue apocalypse, mantra and faaip de oiad) all now seem to make a lot more sense
smily_headphones1.gif

I've known about this for a fairly long time now and apologise if this has been posted before but with the new album release hopefully being imminent then it makes me wonder what maynard will do next..

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by rOAdeh
On the subject of tool anyone who hasn't seen this before should take a look..

I really like the reorganised sequence and with a bit of editing of the gaps between tracks you can make the whole album flow incredibly well. its the weirdest experience hearing an album you think you know off by heart but in an order that means that there are now far more natural transitions between songs (that somehow you've never noticed before) and the 'random' tracks (eon blue apocalypse, mantra and faaip de oiad) all now seem to make a lot more sense
smily_headphones1.gif

I've known about this for a fairly long time now and apologise if this has been posted before but with the new album release hopefully being imminent then it makes me wonder what maynard will do next..

Ah yeah the alternate track listing, I forgot about that! I guess it should be easy to put that on my Karma, since it has gapless.

Also, here is another awesome read on Tool. I found the content to the Toolshed.down.net forums, and the link as well. This will probably be quite long, so I'll use a few posts
smily_headphones1.gif

The link in question can be found here .

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 182
Note: I did not type this, I merely found it on a Tool forum. The link in question is in my above post
tongue.gif

1. Torus (The Grudge) - "The first shape to emerge out of the genesis pattern. It governs many aspects of life including the human heart with its seven muscles that form a Torus. The Torus is literally around all life forms, all atoms, and all cosmic bodies such as planets, stars and galaxies. It is the primary shape in existence."
sacred1.gif

I believe Freud said that the first emotion humans feel is anger towards being separated from the mother's womb, and since this song is the opener about removing hatred and resentment from one's self, it seems to fit. Also the part about planets and stars reminds me of "Saturn ascends, the 1, the 10".

3. Flower of Life (The Patient) - "The geometric power symbol, which activates energy coding in the mind, helping one to access their “light body.” It is the primal language of the universe—pure shape and proportion. This interlocking circle design has the ability to unlock memories that are deep within our being because it is a primary energy/language pattern that has a resonance with all things within us and around us. Shown here with a harmonic overlay:"
sacred2.gif

The patient is about maturity through self-realization, and that seems to coincide with the message of the flower of life. Also the music's "primal energy" or crashing guitars seems to "unlock" these self-realizations from Maynard, as he knows he must be patient in order to achieve this status.

6. Electro Magnetic Field of the Human Merkaba (Parabol) - "The Star Tetrahedron (a three dimensional Star of David) is the sacred geometry at the center of this form and is the pattern of the ether-like light grid that surrounds each human being. This grid is called the Merkaba and it is an interdimensional vehicle used initially to incarnate spirit into human bodily form. The Universal energy of Love is the fuel for this vehicle."
sacred10.gif

With lines like "this body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone", it is fairly certain that Parabol is about feeling love and a sense of purpose from others. The "universal energy of love" is definitely the inspiration behind Maynard writing this song.

8. Decagon with a Pentagonal Star (Ticks and Leeches) - "The Decagon emerges from the pentagon and shares its self-generating divine proportion, the golden mean. At the center of this design is the Pentagonal Star, a powerful psychological icon symbolizing excellence, authority and uprightness."
sacred4.gif

I believe that this song was written to spite their record company, or at least "the man". The record company I guess would represent authority and uprightness, at the center of the symbol.

9. Golden Mean Spiral (Lateralus) - "The Golden Mean Spiral is the ideal and correlates to Source. It is the symbol of life’s unfolding mysteries. With each revolution the spiral reveals a complete cycle of evolution. It offers a wiser and more all-encompassing perspective gleaned from growing by “learning all angles” of each experience. With their continuous curves, spirals are feminine in nature. Logarithmic spirals, like cochlea of the inner ear, reveal the intimate relationship between the harmonics of sound and geometry."
sacred11.jpg

I think this definition fits Lateralus perfectly. I mean, this was my dead give away that 9 on this list and 9 on the album fit perfectly. And we all know that Lateralus was written using the Fibonacci sequence, and contains the line "Spiral out, keep going..."

10. Harmonics of Music and Thirteen Chakras (Disposition) - "Like the Golden Mean Spiral, this geometric progression has no beginning and no end. It is from the Harmonics of Music that all the laws of physics can be derived, reveling the potent nature of this form. Music is a powerful tool for opening the charkas. This geometry artistically symbolizes this relationship, and as such, may be a particularly good focus for meditation when listening to Enos Dream."
sacred5.gif

This definition also fits this song perfectly. I believe that this song is absolutely incredible in its ability to harmonize and completely engage the listener, taking him into another world. Just like the description says, music is a powerful tool, and this song certainly displays the true power it can hold. Also, this song really doesn’t have an end, since it flows directly into Reflection.

11. Endless Knot (Reflection) - "One of the eight sacred emblems of Tibetan Buddhism, this geometry forms ten enclosures and symbolizes the endless cycle of death and rebirth until illumination. (The core Buddhist insight underlying this symbol is: addiction and aversion lead to delusion, which is the ongoing source of all suffering.)"
sacred12.gif

Once again, this fits the song to a tee. The song begins by describing Maynard's "self-indulgent pitiful hole (delusions)" and leads to his illumination, discovering "we are of one mind, and capable of all that’s imagined and all conceivable".

12. Sacred Heart (Triad) - "Is said to be primary source of spiritual intuition, and the seat of true wisdom. The purpose of which is to illuminate, inspire and lead the mind, rather than be controlled by the mind."
sacred6.gif

The song contains no lyrics, so cannot be controlled by the mind. As well the tribal beat and raw energy of the song are (at least to me) very inspiring and energizing.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 182
No one knows when the album is going to be released. It is a matter for constant conversation over on ToolArmy. www.toolarmy.com

Anyone else here a member?

I personally enjoy listening to Tool's albums on either my Grado 225. The forward nature of these phones really makes the music come alive.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #25 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
That's cool Thaddy.
I had a link in the past The Correlation Between Lateralus and the Qabala,
which was in an anti-Tool thread about overrated albums. Mine is #12-I was polite.
I came to see that some people have an overrated opinion of their own opinion.

Thanks for the link, I'll give that a read right now. The first thing that popped into my head seeing those illutrations was the part in "The Grudge" when Maynard sings "Saturn ascends, choose 1 or 10." Kinda lines up nicely with the Self and Body/Sensations
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 182
Quote:

I don't consider those tracks random. They work perfectly as transition tracks.

Agreed, especially Mantra Eon Blue. Those tracks are excellent, even if Mantra is Maynard Siamese cat
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #29 of 182
Quote:

You should use some... uhhh... "herb" as a system tweak. That makes Tool simply mind-blowing to behold
biggrin.gif

Tool is good enough to listen to sober, I don't need any "enhancers" to heighten the experience.

Plus, I'm a collegiate runner
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back