Apr 8, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #76 of 182
Cyclone: I think you should experience Tool chronologically. It's a fascinating musical evolution. The only exception is that Opiate is virtually unrepresentative because it's *so* hard. It's Tool at a very young age, but it has it's virtues too. For instance, the title track, "Opiate," is a fantastic and compelling song.

But, whether you pick up Opiate or not, I'd advise you to start with Undertow, then move to Aenima, then to Lateralus. You can really appreciate the band's genius by hearing how they mature and change, and how the music follows their progression as people and artists.

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #77 of 182
I thought Aenima sounded good, the mastering actually reminds me of Metallica's And Justice for All, if it had bass in it. Sites actually praise it for having a great dynamic range. Id suggest getting Aenima first, cause it is really tool's "staple" album. I doubt they will make a studio version of You Lied, because its a Peach cover.

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #78 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by unfortunateson
I thought Aenima sounded good, the mastering actually reminds me of Metallica's And Justice for All, if it had bass in it. Sites actually praise it for having a great dynamic range. Id suggest getting Aenima first, cause it is really tool's "staple" album. I doubt they will make a studio version of You Lied, because its a Peach cover.

I completly agree, but throw in Push it Live and No Quarter (Zepp cover) from Salival.

My 2 cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #79 of 182
Yep. Aenima and Lateralus are easily the best Tool albums. They improve with each release. I can't wait for the newest album, I expect it to drop very soon!

If you don't have it already, A Perfect Circle "Mer De Noms" is a great album as well.

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #80 of 182
I wouldn't expect it for at least another six months. Maynard finished touring with APC not that long ago. I think they'll take their time making an new album. And the production and distribution process isn't lightning fast either. Unless they've been working on songs the entire time APC was on tour, and just have to record them, it could be quite a while before we see it.

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #81 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
I wouldn't expect it for at least another six months. Maynard finished touring with APC not that long ago. I think they'll take their time making an new album. And the production and distribution process isn't lightning fast either. Unless they've been working on songs the entire time APC was on tour, and just have to record them, it could be quite a while before we see it.

That would be a really cool show to see. APC is pretty good, and I imagine that Maynard would deliver a good live show also.

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #83 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
If you still use stuff like Kazaa, there are videos of live APC performances available. Not great quality, but the audio was decent.

Good god, dont use kazaa, if your going to use a P2P dont use that one. Use limewire, its sooo much better.

Apr 12, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #87 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
As far as P2P, what's the best these days?? I'm kind of out of the loop. BTW I got tired of Soulseek, it really gets on my nerves after a while.

Hmm well soulseek is a fave of mine, however I am sympathetic to DC++ and emule as well. And there's always bittorent if you can find some links
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #88 of 182
the various newsgroups remain the best places for just about anything. the bittorrent portals aren't bad, though they are filling with garbage. i've been using semi private closed networks a lot, lately.

Apr 12, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #90 of 182
it depends. with newsgroups there are different groups devoted to different formats. with bitorrent you are at the mercy of who ever, but there is usually plenty of decently encoded stuff, including lots of flac and shorten files. the ubernet group, often tagged with "darkside_rg" encodes with EAC using lame alt standard, so the quality is uniform. lots of ubernet stuff is available on the various bittorrent portals. anymore i find myself just buying the cd's used, and just downloading for bootlegs of concerts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back