Apr 12, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #91 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
I wouldn't expect it for at least another six months. Maynard finished touring with APC not that long ago. I think they'll take their time making an new album. And the production and distribution process isn't lightning fast either. Unless they've been working on songs the entire time APC was on tour, and just have to record them, it could be quite a while before we see it.

I heard that the rest of Tool were working on songs while Maynard was away touring with APC and that he then came in to record vocals seperately. Still it makes you wonder if that's the best way for a band to record new material. The album was slated for an early 2005 release as i'm sure many of you are aware but to be honest if it takes another 6 months to make another awesome album i'm happy to wait..

Apr 12, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #92 of 182
From what I understand, the album can be expected to arrive late summer. It seems like the band is still putting the finishing touches on songs, as well as making some of them more album friendly (length-wise). Until then, I'll be saving up for some HD650's
580smile.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #93 of 182
I have been listening to Tool since I first saw the video for Sober back in 92ish and got the cd it came on. I have heard all of their work since then, and I saw them live in Late 02 and they were awesome live, the screen was too cool.

However, I cannot for the life of me understand where all the Tool worship comes from. I have heard them called the gods of modern rock, the saviors of rock, and others, but when I heard someone call them "The modern day Pink Floyd" I was shocked, being a huge Floyd fan I couldn't fathom that comparison. Tool is nowhere near experimental enough for that label IMO. While I wouldn't call ANY rock band a "modern Pink Floyd" I guess the closest to that label would be Nine Inch Nails, since Trent Reznor made Industrial Rock officially "ok for rock fans to like" and has done a lot for the rock genre the way Floyd made experimentation main stream(I realize they weren't the only ones, but maybe them most popular)

Tool to me has always been just a good rock band, I have listened to Lateralus(sp?) and Aenima(spelling that wrong too :p) without skipping a track a few times but I can't get into them very much. The vauge weirdness/homoeroticism that permiates the whole band is slightly entertaining in a mid-90s kind of way I guess, but other bands have done that to the nth degree(Manson and others). I also respect the fact that they can still walk down the street and not be attacked by fans since they keep a low profile, very commendable.

Their actual music doesn't impress me very much. Sober is still one one of my favorite videos and tracks, but I guess I just "don't get it"

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #97 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
The vauge weirdness/homoeroticism that permiates the whole band

Are you kidding me, i get the weird vibe but the gay vibe? Where did that come from? Im no Tool affiscianado (i butchered that word) but how do you get a homosexual vibe from them and not NiN? There are so many more sexual references (especially violent sexual references) from NiN its ridiculous. If you cant get a little into the cover of "No Quarter" by Tool you better check your pulse. Although if you are a big Pink Floyd fan, i can understand that you might think the heavy and strong instrumentation coming from Tool will sound cluttered, although if you like NiN i dont see the problem. Oh well, to each his own i guess.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #99 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Well to a person that doesn't use their grey matter much (
biggrin.gif
), Prison Sex could be interpretted as homosexual.

eh. I hate these types of things. just ends up being flaming and no one's opinions will change....

But of course, i know i'm right so it's all good.

Oops i forgot about that little song...
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif
oh well (hey i said im not a huge tool fan anyways). The point is they might be singing a song about prison sex, but that doesnt mean Tool is homosexual, just because Stephen King writes about all sorts of horrible stuff doesnt mean he is a murderer and a monster. It just means both are very good writers with a very distorted imagination
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #101 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
My point is the song is NOT about prison sex. I think they're using that word figuratively/stylistically. But AGAIN I digress, since even if i bothered explaining my thoughts on the subject you either wouldn't care or wouldn't understand.
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Note- this is not personal, just my general experience. I used to be member of a philosophy forum, and i spilled many of my most profound thoughts into that forum, usually getting nothing in return. People hate thinking, and hate thinking in new directions even more.

If you wish to discuss Tool a la psychology, philosophy, and linguistics, i'm game. But most people dont
wink.gif

Anyways. What specifically made you mention the H word? I am curious.

Did i step on your toes somewhere along the lines here?
confused.gif
I do care what you interprate the song as, i think it would be an interesting perspective to take other than the obvious perspective, taken at face value. I dont know if tool wrote prison sex as a literal song, or if they meant it as a metaphore as you suggest. I only know what i interperate it as, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt like to hear other suggestions on the matter. EDIT: i thought your comment was directed to me, i now see it was directed at Svperstar. I only mentioned the "H" word because of how Svperstar saw tool's music. He specifically said that they gave him a homosexual vibe, i simply was arguing that while you can mention homosexuality in a song (or mabey not, if it's meant as a metaphore) its different than having a homosexual vibe. The Village people give off a homosexual vibe, i think tool doesnt come close to that(neither does NiN for that matter). I dont mean to offend anyone who is homosexual at all. If i did just tally it up to a miscomunication or me being inarticulate.

Now, what was your theory of what tool meant in "prison sex"? something about child abuse? Do you care to explain more?

EDIT: I see you updated your post a bit, I for one love off the wall theories (as long as they can be backed up by some sort of evidence) . I recently saw the NOVA special on string theory and it blew my mind for a few days. I wont be much of a philosophical match if you've been practicing or have taken classes. Psycology has always interested me very much, i was considering taking that in college as a major but im leaning towards environmental sciences now. Anyhow, im off course. I find that taking away theories and philosophy from songs is very difficult because of how little material is used in one song, compared to say a book or movie. But some songs are easier to get past than others. Again i would love to hear what your ideas are on the subject since i really dont have too many thoughts on this song other than the obvious.

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #102 of 182
The funny thing about Tool is the fact that they are one of the most overanalyzed bands I have ever seen. You know that Maynard is laughing his ass off at most of us
tongue.gif

Profound and powerful, yes, Tool is that. But they are not to the degree that some people make them out to be. They are a driven and have a purpose and message, but they are just a rock band.... a DAMN good one at that.

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #105 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Are you kidding me, i get the weird vibe but the gay vibe? Where did that come from? Im no Tool affiscianado (i butchered that word) but how do you get a homosexual vibe from them and not NiN? There are so many more sexual references (especially violent sexual references) from NiN its ridiculous. If you cant get a little into the cover of "No Quarter" by Tool you better check your pulse. Although if you are a big Pink Floyd fan, i can understand that you might think the heavy and strong instrumentation coming from Tool will sound cluttered, although if you like NiN i dont see the problem. Oh well, to each his own i guess.

Well you and the other guy seem to be under the impression I don't like tool, far from it, they are a good band, but the "they are the greatest thing ever" kind of fan I am not.

I mean degrees, there is more to enjoyment than "I LOVE THIS!" or "I HATE THIS SO MUCH". I don't dislike Tool, I just don't understand the worship of them as the best band around.

I also love heavy instruments, I love dark electronic/industrial, I have Skinny Puppys latest cd(Use Less is a good track) and other less known artists, Brighter Death Now and such.

As for the gay thing.....um...them watching a guy suck himself of on the cover on anema(sp?). Prison Sex, Stink Fist "Sniff my hand" Hmmmmm , Jerk Off Live , The tshirt with a penis shaped tool on it....I could go on I think but its common with a lot of bands in the 90s.

I had this discussion when I was in high school about how I funny I think it is that so many tough kids that hate "fags" listen to bands like NIN/Manson/Tool and others that have so many pseudo-homo references, most people don't even realize it. But I digress :p

So yeah, I listened to Tool today doing my daily rounds and I just can't figure out why out of all the great bands people hail Tool above all. Still this could turn into a flame war so I think I will shut up now, just wanted to give my 2 cents since I saw this massive 5 page Tool thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back