$1000 system for my pops 50th[UPDATE: Moderate hearing loss compensation!]
May 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 28
Be aware VP530 is a tube phono stage plus have headphones amp with volume control. I have ATLP120USB but i upgraded stock cartridge with Shure M97xe my arm is stock. Instead of Debut III i would recomend Debut Carbon which comes with 2M Red Cartridge

May 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #17 of 28
Be aware VP530 is a tube phono stage plus have headphones amp with volume control. I have ATLP120USB but i upgraded stock cartridge with Shure M97xe my arm is stock. Instead of Debut III i would recomend Debut Carbon which comes with 2M Red Cartridge

Good to know I will check that, as for the Bellari, the VP130 is the same as the the VP530 without the USB. Which saves me $130.

Also would you say the shure or the ortofon is better, for the Denon?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

May 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #18 of 28

Good to know I will check that, as for the Bellari, the VP130 is the same as the the VP530 without the USB. Which saves me $130.

Also would you say the shure or the ortofon is better, for the Denon?

The pro-ject debut carbon is nice but lacks 78rpm

Edit: lol none of the others have it. How important is it anyway?

May 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #19 of 28
Well it seems 78rpm is useless unless your playing really really old records.

May 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 28
Anyone got anything to add? Or am I on the right track?

May 31, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #22 of 28
I'm a little wary of the Grado recommendation, it's not that I don't like Grado's, the RS-1 is one of my all-time favorites and I'm also a big fan of the HF-2 and the Allessandro MS-2's as well. But for me I've found that, more easily than most other phones, they can aggravate the usually slight tinnitus I have in my left ear, making the ringing much more noticeable for a period of time after. That's part of the reason I gave up on Grado's. I had a pair of RS-1's here at the same time I had the HD650's and I'd take the RS-1's over the 650's if it weren't for that issue.

If you're determined to go the Grado route I'd suggest doing a little research into the line and find out a bit about your fathers preferences. Grado's with their stock pads can be very bright and the 325's are supposed to be the brightest of the lot. The SR225's are supposed to be the sweet spot in the line up but I've never been a fan of their overly plasticky construction. The Allessandro Music Series versions are tuned to be a little more neutral, personally I'd say the MS-2 is the real sweet spot.

Another thing I'd highly recommend if going the Grado route is to get flat pads from Todd The Vinyl Junkie. Pad swaps take a couple of seconds but dramatically change the sound of the phones, personally I can't use a Grado without flat pads, the stock bowls make them too bright and thin sounding for my tastes.

Going back to your original thinking of the HD650, they tend to like a beefier amp, that's where the recommendation for the vintage 70's receiver comes from. Most of these receivers headphone amps are the same as the speaker outputs just with a resistor on them as opposed to the headphone amps in the majority of receivers today that typically use separate cheap opamps for the headphone sections. I think going the vintage receiver route would give you the best bang for your buck.

May 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #23 of 28
Thanks, the grados are mainly because my father has limited hearing in the high range and prefers 80s heavy metal, which they are suited for. Comfort is an issue, and its not possible to access ttvj from South Africa for some obscure reason.

Also vintage receivers are not so easy to find and shopping would be expensive because of their weight. Which is why it's not an option anymore.

Also the HD650+amp is just too expensive

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #24 of 28
Right Round 2

done a ton more digging.

This is a system for my dads 50th, his music preferences are 80s heavy metal, and he has a hearing deficiency in the high range.
so these are the systems I have put together, through all my research.
        1. HP: Grado SR325 $300 
        2. HPamp: Hifiman EF-2A ($190) + Raytheon 6AK5W tubes ($40 ebay)
        3. Phono Stage : Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Preamp $140 (MM only)
        4. TT: Project Debut Carbon $400
        5. TOTAL: $1070
      1. 2
        2. HPamp:-
        3. Phono Stage : Bellari VP130 $250 + Mullard 12AX7 / ECC83  ($23 @ ebay)
        4. TT:MusicHall MMF-2.2: $450
        5. TOTAL: $1023
      1. 3
        1. Intergrated Amp (HPamp): Cambridge Audio Azur 350A Integrated Amp $300
        1. Phono Stage :  Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Preamp $140 (MM only)
        1. TT:Project Debut Carbon $400
        1. TOTAL: $1083
      2. 4
        2. Intergrated Amp (HPamp): Cambridge Audio Azur 350A Integrated Amp $300
        3. Phono Stage : Bellari VP130 $250 + Mullard 12AX7 / ECC83  ($23 @ ebay)
        4. TT:Project Debut Carbon $400
        5. TOTAL: $1213

The reason for the Cambridge amp is its cheap, provides upgrade room, and has treble and bass controls. But I am not so sure of its headphone jack, I have a feeling (from my reading) that the SR325 behave like my AKG K242HD and take on the characteristics of the amp, hence why tube amps are recommended. Taking the Bellari and the Cambridge I think gives the best of both?

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #25 of 28
I'd still suggest going with the Alessandro MS-2 as opposed to the 325's, I think they'd be a safer route for a present. Based on you going a bit above your budget you might also look at the Outlaw RR2150 Receiver it's supposed to have both a good phono input as well as a decent headphone amp. It looks like you can get B-Stock for $625.

That would be:

1. HP: Grado SR-325/Alessandro MS-2 $300
  2. Receiver: Outlaw Audio RR2150 $625
  3. TT: Project Debut Carbon $400
  4. TOTAL: $1325

Probably pushing your budget too much but thought I'd mention it, I have a friend who has the Outlaw and it is one gorgeous piece of audio equipment.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
I'd still suggest going with the Alessandro MS-2 as opposed to the 325's, I think they'd be a safer route for a present. Based on you going a bit above your budget you might also look at the Outlaw RR2150 Receiver it's supposed to have both a good phono input as well as a decent headphone amp. It looks like you can get B-Stock for $625.

That would be:

Probably pushing your budget too much but thought I'd mention it, I have a friend who has the Outlaw and it is one gorgeous piece of audio equipment.

Schiiiiitttt, thats not a bad suggestion.... at all.... and it has great tone control, but it really is over budget... arg. i'll try save some extra and see what I can do

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #27 of 28
it really is just out of my budget...

Any other ideas from other people?

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

That would be:

I just discovered how bad my dads hearing loss is, its at around ~-65dB at 4kHz and up. And he has Siemens Life 501 hearing aids, which I think are Behind the ear. 

Can you please describe the outlaws processor/equalizer effects in more detail? how much can you control it? 

Because many people complain about using over ears with BTE hearing aids, also the Allesandros are not much more expensive so I will get them, with G-Cush pads, it gives my dad the option to go on ear or over ear.

EDIT: can post audiograms
EDIT2: I am thinking a separate processor may be called for, there goes the budget....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back