1000$ budget, what to buy?
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #16 of 31
Planars are much more difficult to drive than dynamics. Regardless of the model, I don't think the M/M stack would drive planars that well.

The M/M stack does a great job with the HE-400's.

The HE-400's aren't particularly hard to drive, even lesser Fiio amps do a moderate job with them.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 31
Sorry for the slow reply people.
As for the music genre as many people have been asking for it, i mainly listen to electronic stuff like avicii - you make me and hardstyle. I also commonly listen too rock/metal.
Also one thing i see commonly is ohms, what is ohms?
Also, i would like both a home setup and a portable setup for my stationary pc and my phone!
Thanks for replying guys! :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #18 of 31
Ohms measure the impedance of headphones and amplifiers, which is related to but not completely indicative of a headphone's sensitivity. It's a VERY complicated subject, to say the least.

(And I have little desire to figure it out when none of it really applies to electrostatic equipment. There, it's more about bias voltage output and voltage swing and stuff like that...)

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 31
  Sorry for the slow reply people.
As for the music genre as many people have been asking for it, i mainly listen to electronic stuff like avicii - you make me and hardstyle. I also commonly listen too rock/metal.
Also one thing i see commonly is ohms, what is ohms?
Also, i would like both a home setup and a portable setup for my stationary pc and my phone!
Thanks for replying guys! :)

You actually want Grado/Alessandro for electronic/rock/metal.

Desktop : 
Amp and DAC : Get Magni+Modi combo which will cost 250 bucks with tax and shipping. See this site :http://schiit.com/products

Headphones : I highly recommend either Alessandro MS-2 (Music Series Two) http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones or Grado PS-500 for your music taste, which are probably best bang for bucks. MS-2 will cost 300 bucks (good thing Alsessandro provides free shipping) and PS500 will be about 600 bucks plus shipping.

With Magni+Modi+PS500 combo will leave you 150 bucks or less, which can be used for the portable setup.

For portable setup, I can't say much about IEMS and portable headphones, but Sansa Clip+ will be sufficient music player for pretty much any mobile needs. It's small, yet very good sounding with FLAC support and SD card slot.

Or you can forget about separate media player and use your smartphone if you have it. Apple iphones and high-end Samsung phones have good soundoutput, and LG's G2 has rather exceptionally good stock earphone with good audio part.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 31
Home: Audio-Technica A900X, though buy from somewhere you can return them in case the support system doesn't work for you. Not portable at all though.
Portable: suggest sound quality's less important here. Some good value in-ear headphones are probably the best bet, Sony do decent ones, Ultimate Ears are better, but there's plenty of choice.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #21 of 31
For a home set up the best bet would be something like a Schiit M&M stack that so many have recommended and a nice pair of headphones, perhaps a Mr Speakers Mad Dog or a Beyerdynamic DT770. For most people who aren't obsessed with music on the go, a simple and good pair of earphones (IEMs) is your best bet, I use a pair of Final Audio Design Heaven V's, and I find them quite marvellous for all genres of music, and they do great for stuff like Avicii and EDM. No need to really bother with portable amps and DACs, those are much more expensive and more of a hassle than anything, keep it simple and you will enjoy your gear plenty :)

Oh and "Sorry for your wallet", chances are this $1000 won't be the only $1000 you'll end up spending :wink:

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #22 of 31
What about a fostex th600? Thats an option worth examining as well.

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #23 of 31
A Magni Modi stack with a HE-400 would be a fantastic get at that budget for both electronic and rock/metal. Both are superb value for money and would allow you to budget for a IEM for portable use.

The HE-400 is quick, has really fantastic bass, detail and imaging for a mid fi open can. I liked it a lot with Electronic and pop music. For Rock is was quick and detailed. Not fatiguing with the Velours and you could try the jergpad mod. Not the most aggressive headphone if that is your cup of tea however.

Quote:
What about a fostex th600? Thats an option worth examining as well.

Only if he goes second hand, lest we lead this poor soul down the avenue of blowing his budget by getting an amp and dac
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #24 of 31
i mainly listen to electronic stuff like avicii - you make me and hardstyle. I also commonly listen too rock/metal.

I know EXACTLY what you need!

V-Moda M-100 - $300
Grado SR80i - $100
HRT Microstreamer - $190
Audioquest Forest USB to mini USB - ~$28
Total: ~$620

The M-100 will be your EDM set of cans, and the grados will be for rock! The Microstreamer drives them both beautifully. Yeah, under budget, but if you don't currently have a hifi rig, then start with that. Or, if you can find these, and want only one pair of headphones...

Denon D5000 - ~$700
Schiit Magni - $100
Schiit Modi - $100
Audioquest Forest USB to USB type B - ~$30
Total: ~$930

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #25 of 31
  I know EXACTLY what you need!

V-Moda M-100 - $300
Grado SR80i - $100
HRT Microstreamer - $190
Audioquest Forest USB to mini USB - ~$28
Total: ~$620

The M-100 will be your EDM set of cans, and the grados will be for rock! The Microstreamer drives them both beautifully. Yeah, under budget, but if you don't currently have a hifi rig, then start with that. Or, if you can find these, and want only one pair of headphones...

Denon D5000 - ~$700
Schiit Magni - $100
Schiit Modi - $100
Audioquest Forest USB to USB type B - ~$30
Total: ~$930

For Grado SR80, Alessandro MS-1 is far better value since it is based on SR125 yet same 100 bucks with shipping included.

And what? Denon D5000 costing 700 bucks? since when? Did they reintroduce their old phones with higher price?

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 31
HE-500
AudioGD 15.32

+ ..a USB cable?

Done!

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #27 of 31

For Grado SR80, Alessandro MS-1 is far better value since it is based on SR125 yet same 100 bucks with shipping included.

And what? Denon D5000 costing 700 bucks? since when? Did they reintroduce their old phones with higher price?

Haven't heard the MS-1, but yes, that's a better deal! Forgot about that :p

And the D5k is about $700 used... :'(

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #28 of 31
  Haven't heard the MS-1, but yes, that's a better deal! Forgot about that :p

And the D5k is about $700 used... :'(

Jesus, very funny since I bought it about $350 when it was still selling, and $700 was for D7000. Should had bought more for extra profit. :p

But, I really think there isn't any closed can worth for the money more than $500. It's far better to go for custom IEM or open-back headphones at that price point.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #30 of 31
Please explain what a closed can is :)

The headphone cups do not allow air to pass through them, opposite is true for open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back