100$ or less
Aug 7, 2010 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

theddj

New Head-Fier
long story short:

1. Tight budget, no more than 100$
2. Comfort, as these will be used a lot
3. Durability, as these will be used a lot
4. Sound Quality (must be pretty decent, not looking for the best, just something to carry around with me)

oh, and I dont want buds, real over the ear or on the ear 'cans'

Pretty demanding, but what are your suggestions?

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Off the top of my head, there's a few that people here recommend for under $100.  Some of these are open, some are closed, and some are portables.  But I always see these recommended.  What kind of music do you listen to?  This will help narrow it down..

Koss Porta Pros ($30)
JVC HARX700 ($40 on amazon)
Koss UR-55 ($50)
ATH-M50 (~$100)
ATH-AD700 ($89 currently on amazon)
Grados SR60i ($80 on amazon)

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, considering the range of music I listen to, that shouldn't really narrow it down. The PortaPro seems to be the best rated headphones of these, and I kinda like them. I wish they were a little bit more stylish :p

As for the open air design, I don't really mind it, and I would love to have people listening along with me, but sometimes I think people would get partially annoyed. Since I want to take these around with me a lot, this isn't really optimal.

I hear the Grados are extremely delicate (at least this model), is this true?

I'm likin the UR-55's at the moment though.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 8
PortaPro's are great because they are just so small. They take very little room when storing or traveling, and they don't "engulf your head" when you wear them. Not only that, they are only about $30, and you can upgrade to the PX200 ear cushions for only $10 more, to improve comfort/bass/isolation. To top that off, all things made by Koss have a Lifetime Warranty, so you will never have to worry about abusing them too much. Besides, they have got great flexibility, with their Comfort Zone system, and also the ability to transform into a ball. Excellent headphones on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back