$100 AMP that matches a $1,000.00 amp!!
Jan 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

goorackerelite

100+ Head-Fier
Why is it in every review of low end amps, theres always that lines that says " this amp easily matches other models that cost 2x as much!!!" ?

I'd like to know the names of the unfortunate amps that fall flat to amps that cost 1/2 or 1/3 less

Ready, Set, GO!!!!

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 74
The M3 isn't a budget amp, it's a midrange model that happens to be done at a lower profit without lots of fancy overheads.

And I'd like to know how the $899 Gilmore GS-1 is any better than a Lite with a nice internal power supply. Because they physically have identical amplifier sections, the GS-1 just saws the board of the Lite in half and puts the 2 boards next to each other. I don't think an $899 GS-1 is worth the price premium over the Lite, while the $375 M3 I do feel is a lot of amp for the money. So if my M3 is at least as good as Lite, then it probably isn't much worse than a GS-1 which is more than twice the price - and at $600 for the M3 with external power supply, I'm pretty sure for $300 less than a GS-1 it would give it a beating.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado RA1 - $600 for $2 worth of electronics and a fancy wooden box.

I agree. Probably the biggest rip-off in audio

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 74
The DIY route always yields amps that far outperform their price range. I've heard amps that retail for 2 or even 3 times as much as I paid for the parts of my balanced beta 22 (mind you, I kept a really tight budget), and i think the sound of the beta 22 matches the others or bests it.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado RA1 - $600 for $2 worth of electronics and a fancy wooden box.

Have you heard one?

I hate to use the word synergy, but it does synergize extremely well with the RS-1. I wont say if its worth it or not, since everyone has their own value of worth, but it does sound much better then its parts cost leads you to believe.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. Probably the biggest rip-off in audio

No, I would say that that would be upgraded cables, hands down. They are at least a 5-10x markup and much of the time a lot more. Have you ever looked at the prices for actual wiring/cables similar to what cardas or any other recabling company uses?

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 74
If it sounds like the best amp made, referring to the Grado amp, doesn't give rise to pricing it for the unsuspecting at 300 times the hard cost. Please, it may sound good as has been reported but it is a pure and simple rip-off at cost vs end price. As are many IC's, I will agree.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I would say that that would be upgraded cables, hands down. They are at least a 4-5x markup and much of the time a lot more. Probably nearing 1000% or more price increase in many cases.

Your right. So the RA-1 is the second biggest rip-off in audio.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DIY route always yields amps that far outperform their price range. I've heard amps that retail for 2 or even 3 times as much as I paid for the parts of my balanced beta 22 (mind you, I kept a really tight budget), and i think the sound of the beta 22 matches the others or bests it.

Some pictures would be nice.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it sounds like the best amp made, referring to the Grado amp, doesn't give rise to pricing it for the unsuspecting at 300 times the hard cost. Please, it may sound good as has been reported but it is a pure and simple rip-off at cost vs end price. As are many IC's, I will agree.

So, your SR-71A is worth 450$ in electronics, right?

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it in every review of low end amps, theres always that lines that says " this amp easily matches other models that cost 2x as much!!!" ?

I'd like to know the names of the unfortunate amps that fall flat to amps that cost 1/2 or 1/3 less

Ready, Set, GO!!!!

Mostly marketing.

Though there are some amps that are dramatically overpriced considering their parts cost and performance. However, naming names ignites flame wars and leads to moderator involvement.

If you really want to know, build your own amp. Learn how they work and how to price out the parts. You'll learn to draw your own conclusions. You'll get a high-end amp at the lowest possible price, too.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, your SR-71A is worth 450$ in electronics, right?

Like a laptop, he paid for the portability and the quality of the product, versus just quality.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like a laptop, he paid for the portability and the quality of the product, versus just quality.

Well, for what it's worth, a Mini^3 should be about the same size as a SR-71A and cost less than 100$ in parts. My point was not about DIY vs commercial amps though, I just thought it was unfair from Jamato to pinpoint a precise product (Grado RA-1) while most commercial audio amps cost way more than the sum of the individual parts, not just the Grado.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've personally noticed that in at least several of those reviews, the reviewer, when pressed, does not have quite the experience with more expensive amps as initially implied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back