$100-$200 range?
Oct 3, 2011 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BaLaClavaAa

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get myself some nicer headphones, but really all the choices are just overwhelming. I was suspiciously enough to look past the Beats, and rightfully so, apparently. I've been looking at the Sennheisers as it seems like only good things are said about them, but I'm not really sure what the differences are. And similarly I'm not really sure what too look at with the other brands, or what the difference in quality will be for the price from like $120 vs $180.

Some of what I've looked at are:
Beyerdynamic DT770 pro
Grado Prestige SR225i
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

The kind of music I listen to is:
The Smiths
Arctic Monkeys
Portishead
Joy Division
Amy Winehouse
QOTSA
Nick Cave
Elvis Costello
Jarvis Crocker
And some rock (and Cash like country) and Golden Age rap.

My primary concern is sound quality, and I don't really care too much about portability. I won't be buying an amp, and will be playing mainly through my laptop, zune, and iphone. I think I'd prefer closed over open, but I want to look at both.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 12
I would suggest saving a bit of money and buying the Grado/Allesandro MS1i headphones.  I own them, and I LOVE them.  Exceptional sound quality, great out of a portable iPod or what-have-you.

I've been looking all around the internet, and I honestly can't find one single person who has bought them and hasn't loved them.

$99, free delivery.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 12
I should also warn you that head-fi is a really terrible place to seek advice about headphone purchases.  Everybody here has their favourite headphones, and they'll all recommend something different to you.  I recommended Grado, and now you'll probably get some messages bashing Grados, and recommending Fischer Audio or Beyerdynamics or Sennheiser or whatever.

If you think your head is spinning now, just give this site a chance to do a numer on you.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 12
I like your list you have so far.  Maybe consider the Audio Technica ATH-M50.  They are my least expensive phone, and I still enjoy them...

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I like your list you have so far.  Maybe consider the Audio Technica ATH-M50.  They are my least expensive phone, and I still enjoy them...

I suggest you try a lot of different headphones then...

tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Heya,

You sound like someone who might like:

Fischer Audio FA-003
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone PRO 550

Very best,

OP - this post nailed it ^^

And of the three - bang for the buck for your genres - the SRH840.  If you shop carefully (you may have to ring a few places and ask for a quote) - you should be able to get them for around US 130-140.  Closed.  Sound great.  Don't need amplification.

I see one in the FS section at the moment for $110.

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 12
Mmmm, Agree. I managed to snag my SRH840s at 100 on the button shiped from Amazon used - Like New. They are by far my favorite set of headphones, followed closely by my SR225s.

Quote:
OP - this post nailed it ^^

And of the three - bang for the buck for your genres - the SRH840.  If you shop carefully (you may have to ring a few places and ask for a quote) - you should be able to get them for around US 130-140.  Closed.  Sound great.  Don't need amplification.

I see one in the FS section at the moment for $110.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 12
So on Amazon the 840's are $130 and the Grados 225i are $200. What exactly accounts for this difference in price? Is price not really an indicator for the sound quality? I've tried reading through the reviews, but everything for everything is overwhelmingly positive lol. What's the opinion of the Senheissers? Everyone IRL keeps recommending them.

I kind of like the look of the FA-003's, how do they compare to the 840's, and where exactly can you actually buy them?

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 12
In general, price and sound quality do correlate.  But often the brand, features (like detachable cables), and styling can add to price without sound quality improvements.  

Also, occasionally you run into gems which are way too cheap for their price for whatever reason.  So yea, it could be that the cheaper cans are better than the more expensive ones, at least in certain characteristics if not all characteristics.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 12
Consider the Denon AH-D1100.

Comfortable, no need for amp, great bass and soundstage, considered portable.

Will suit your preferred musical genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back