100€ headphone reccomendation for a newbie
Jan 27, 2011 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

deji

New Head-Fier
I'm sporting a pair of HD 202 that I love to bits, but I've had them for like 6-8 years now and the earpads are so worn out I simply must get some new ones. No big deal, they've served me really well.

Price range is about 100€. I'm willing to go up to 130€ if I really have to. Has to be circumaural.

I will be using them on my PC for the most part, mainly for gaming and listening to music (mp3 :/ ) with a bit of mixing, though I have a digital piano and an electric guitar I might use them for. Listen to almost everything really: rock, jazz, funk, etc. 

I'm thinking about going open headphones, but I'm unsure of how the noise level will be - my girlfriend sleeps in the next room and the walls are quite thin, I don't really want the noise to reach the other room. How loud can I expect open headphones to be? About the same or louder than headphones that are playing on the table?

I'll be plugging the cans into a Mackie Onyx Satellite, you could also let me know whether it should be able to drive the phones well with it or whether I should think about getting an amp for them.

If open fit my needs, I found the Sennheiser HD 518 (and the semi-open AKG K-240) are about 100€, though I found no reviews of the HD518. the HD 558 and the HD 595 are 130€, the maximum I'm willing to put in, but I would rather not go for something that expensive at this point unless the price/value is much better.

The selection I have to go on is on http://www.thomann.de/gb/ as everything sold in local stores is hugely overpriced (like seriously, there were some AKG phones that are 180€ in the local store, but are 90€ online) and I have some friends ordering from that site so I can split the shipping costs.

Cheers in advance.

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 6
Jan 28, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, Thomann is a totally awesome online store for Europe.. I've bought a guitar and all my recording equipment and microphones there, they have good prices, good service and have this far taken care of any product defects no questions asked. So Europeans that don't know about that store yet, take note :p

Would you recommend the K240 over the HD558?

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 6
Creative Aurvana Live. Amazon, 60 euros.

Check on reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back