10 amps for HD 600: First elimination
Feb 14, 2009 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

inF

Head-Fier
Hello,

Let me summarize my situation.

Right now I have HD 25-1 (w/ HD 25-13 OFC cable) and HD 600 > Corda 2Move > Audigy 2 ZS > mp3's varying between 192 and 320 kbps.

The thing is, when I bought last week my HD 600's, I was sure that they wouldn't perform much better than my HD 25-1's in these conditions, mentioned above. Indeed they didn't, while in some respects I liked them very much (airiness, bass impact), the overall sound signature, detail and most importantly satisfaction factor to my ears are almost same as HD 25-1's (though my mom liked them very much over HD 25-1's
darthsmile.gif
).

Now, my only wish is to get some amp, not exceeding 500$, which will make a significant difference between them and make me eventually say "oh, now I'm getting a sight of one of the world's best headphones" for HD 600's.

If that can't/won't happen, then I really wouldn't want to spend that much on a new toy and rather sell HD 600's, as I am actually very happy with my HD 25-1 & 2Move.

After a very thorough search, I came up with that list (price + shipping in $):

1. Little Dot MkIVse (400 + 50)
  2. Darkvoice 336SE (290 + 75)
  3. Darkvoice 3322 (450 + 75)
  4. WooAudio 3+ (496 + 60)
  5. M^3 (375 + [200 for Sigma-11?] + ???)
  6. Audio-gd C-2C (335 + 80)
  7. Gilmore Lite (450 + 40)
  8. KICAS Caliente (400 + ???)
  9. Graham Slee Novo (335 total)

Now,

- Tube or SS, doesn't really matter. But the most important fact is: no tube rolling, which means if I'll go for tubes, I'll need an amp which is almost perfect with its stock ones.

- My music preferences include almost everything except metal.

- I like neutral sound and want it as detailed and clear as it gets.

- Actually I want best out of my HD 600.

I don't expect my research to be completed in this thread (though would be perfect if it would) but I need to do some sifting to be able to give a more accurate decision.

I need your opinions such as "you can eliminate this one because that one is already a much better amp" or "eliminate this as it is not for you, it needs better tubes", etc.

By the way, as for the DAC issue, I will get it after if I feel I need it.

Last but not least, in that list, the price gap between the Novo (335 $ total) and, let's say, WooAudio 3+ (560 $ total) is very, very large for me. So please bear in mind that I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for very subtle differences; I'm seeking for bang for the buck.

Your suggestions and feedback are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

And

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 16
From my 1st run of owning the hd600, I liked the gilmore lite with it more than the heed.

However I did not have the same DACs hooked up, so it isn't exactly the most balanced comparison. The heed sounded far happier with my k701, whereas with the hd600 it seemed a bit slow on the decay/attack--also thick/syrupy on the bass. (Not fart cannons or like when people mod their cars to extreme amounts of tasteless bass, but just a bit on the heavy side)

The gilmore really seems to be more in line with the detailed/neutral setup than the heed is to me.

As for the other amps, I cannot offer much without hearing them, and also knowing very little about them..

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 16
Replace the Little Dot MKV on your list with the Audio-gd C2C. I've found it to be a great combination with HD-600s and isn't a lot more expensive.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 16
neutral solid-state = Gilmore Lite + DPS
tube = WA3+
warm solid-state = M^3+Sigma-11

I'm personally very happy with my M^3+sigma and likely won't be upgrading my amp for a long time.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 16
Heed CanAmp and LD MkV out, Audio-gd C-2C in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
neutral solid-state = Gilmore Lite + DPS

In addition of 225 $ for DPS awfully exceeds my budget :/

Thanks for the inputs.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 16
Tube rolling IS the fun in owning a tube amp....and the Woo's are much better built and sounding than the other offerings on your list.

The M3 w/upgraded PSU is the best of the solid-state! The Gilmore is more sterile than neutral in my opinion.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 16
On your list, I like the Gilmore Lite and the M^3. I think the Gilmore Lite has slightly better synergy than the M^3 does.

I haven't priced one lately, but would a Bijou fit your budget? And have you considered a used amp?

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 16
I have the a DV 3322 on the way, it will be my first amp (aside from the AV receiver's headphone out I am currently using) and that may be a possible option. From my impressions on the few members that do have it, it should provide a good synergy with the HD600. I will try to post a few impressions of it.

I have a mid-fi 2.1 system (~3000ish) so I believe I can make some insightful comments regarding how it sounds..but take my comments with a grain of salt as this will be my first venture into tube amps, and amped headphones in general.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 16
I'ma bit concerned you think the 25's and 600's have similar sound signatures, I own 650's and 25's and I'd never use the 25's for anything other than mixing as their quite frankly terrible at music imo. And this is regardless of amp!

And why no tube rolling? seems like your discarding the most important part of a tube amp, the ability to change it's sound signature for $20. If you are set on that though then I'd definately concentrate more on a solid state amp, I haven't heard the Woo, but the LDIV and the DV 336 definately need new tubes in my experience and opinion.

And just to add a couple more considerations have you looked at the little country III hybrid and the Travagans series of amps?

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blast8180 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the a DV 3322 on the way, it will be my first amp (aside from the AV receiver's headphone out I am currently using) and that may be a possible option. From my impressions on the few members that do have it, it should provide a good synergy with the HD600. I will try to post a few impressions of it.

I have a mid-fi 2.1 system (~3000ish) so I believe I can make some insightful comments regarding how it sounds..but take my comments with a grain of salt as this will be my first venture into tube amps, and amped headphones in general.

I'm looking forward, enjoy them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On your list, I like the Gilmore Lite and the M^3. I think the Gilmore Lite has slightly better synergy than the M^3 does.

I haven't priced one lately, but would a Bijou fit your budget? And have you considered a used amp?

Does your comment about Gilmore Lite include its DPS?

I'm not experienced enough to build it myself, is Bijou available completed? I also couldn't find its price.

I spent a few hours in sales forum but most of the products are shipped CONUS and I think it would be difficult to find someone who accepts shipping to Turkey, and that I get my amp here without any issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timreeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'ma bit concerned you think the 25's and 600's have similar sound signatures, I own 650's and 25's and I'd never use the 25's for anything other than mixing as their quite frankly terrible at music imo. And this is regardless of amp!

And why no tube rolling? seems like your discarding the most important part of a tube amp, the ability to change it's sound signature for $20. If you are set on that though then I'd definately concentrate more on a solid state amp, I haven't heard the Woo, but the LDIV and the DV 336 definately need new tubes in my experience and opinion.

And just to add a couple more considerations have you looked at the little country III hybrid and the Travagans series of amps?

I think it's about what you use them with. In my setup above, my ears can not get any clear differences.

Here in Turkey, I have to pay very high shipping costs and there is also a serious possibility that any package is 'stuck' in our customs, unfortunately. So for me getting a tube would not be as easy as yours. Plus, I don't think I want that, I just want to pay (which is already a very big amount for me) and listen to it.

I didn't consider Little Country III and Travagans, I'll look for them.

I'm about to eliminate the tube ones and decide between SS's. Thank you all!

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blast8180 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm looking forward, enjoy them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by inF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your comment about Gilmore Lite include its DPS?

I'm not experienced enough to build it myself, is Bijou available completed? I also couldn't find its price.

I spent a few hours in sales forum but most of the products are shipped CONUS and I think it would be difficult to find someone who accepts shipping to Turkey, and that I get my amp here without any issue.

I think it's about what you use them with. In my setup above, my ears can not get any clear differences.

Here in Turkey, I have to pay very high shipping costs and there is also a serious possibility that any package is 'stuck' in our customs, unfortunately. So for me getting a tube would not be as easy as yours. Plus, I don't think I want that, I just want to pay (which is already a very big amount for me) and listen to it.

I didn't consider Little Country III and Travagans, I'll look for them.

I'm about to eliminate the tube ones and decide between SS's. Thank you all!

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Although I don't currently own it, I keep hearing the gilmore lite is a great way to balance the HD 600s. I just purchased the 600s recently and am eyeing the gilmore lite like nobody's business...now all i need is the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back