1 Awesome Headphone or Multiple Good headphones?
Feb 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #46 of 68
I would chose the 900 as for everything I listen to without blinking. It just have a magical mid range. But for rock metal hard to say particularly since I doesn´t own the 750s anymore and have never run them on my current setup either.

So can´t do a straight A-B. the 900 have a wider soundstage and are slightly darker in tone which make them a bit more laid back. But they are very accurate so you seldom feel they being articially wide.

The 900 is the better headphone overall though at least after KeeS modding it.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #47 of 68
Ok thanks for your advice.

Well I already have a laid back headphone with a massive soundstage - the DT880. I need an agressive "front row" headphone just for rock music. I think maybe the 750 will be the answer?

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #48 of 68
that's also something I fail to understand...what is the point to own zillions of cheapo phones when you only have 2 ears? one or two pairs of killer phones and you're all set.

DT880 massive soundstage? Pro750 is indeed agressive though...if that's what you're after
tang.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #49 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's also something I fail to understand...what is the point to own zillions of cheapo phones when you only have 2 ears? one or two pairs of killer phones and you're all set.

DT880 massive soundstage? Pro750 is indeed agressive though...if that's what you're after
tang.gif

I agree 2 good pairs should be enough. The DT880 has got a unique soundstage, the vocals seem to be boxed in but the instruments are spaced out nicely. In any case I would say it's a bigger soundstage than a closed headphone like the Pro900.

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #50 of 68
I've pondered this myself, from the perspective of wondering why people have multiples, when they could have had one of the real deal, whatever that might happen to be for their specific taste....

I say buy one of the most bestest cans for your taste. then enjoy them, and know that they are top dog as far as your budgetary limits, and aesthetic judgment.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #52 of 68
I'm more of a "one great headphone" kind of guy. For me, that headphone – thus far anyway – is the HD600. But, I love trying new ones, even if they disappoint me.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #53 of 68
I have most of the budget phones mentioned here. I like variety. Plus I'm too scared to go all out on an uber pair. Terrified of being disappointed and I really don't want to go into amplifier territory. I am quite satisfied with the phillips 910, jvc rx700, sr60's, and cal!'s though.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #56 of 68
I buy used stuff almost exclusively, save for my shiny new D7000's, but they are available new right now for less than most folks want for them used. I like buying and selling to get a feel for different cans. The D7000's and my dearly departed ESW10's are the highest end cans I've had to date.

My goal is an outstanding pair of closed cans and a nice dac and amp (currently the D7000's, MF V-Dac and a Dynalo), a nice iem rig (currently W3's, iPhone 3GS and a Pico Slim if it ever ships). Perhaps a great pair of open cans for the airiness that good classical and acoustic requires, but closed cans suit my needs better.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #57 of 68
I am fortunate enough to own one top of the line headphone and a former top of the line IEM plus a low fidelity headphone. I say to buy the best that you can afford and forget the rest.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've pondered this myself, from the perspective of wondering why people have multiples, when they could have had one of the real deal, whatever that might happen to be for their specific taste....

I say buy one of the most bestest cans for your taste. then enjoy them, and know that they are top dog as far as your budgetary limits, and aesthetic judgment.

Two reasons here: variety and curiosity.

I like changing headphones (and speakers, for that matter) every so often so I can hear new things in them and rediscover "old friends."

It's a quick way off the upgraditis treadmill, as well. When people get bored or used to a piece of gear, they usually decide to upgrade. Sometimes that's productive, but a lot of times that's just churn with dollars attached.

If you keep a few good ones around, you can switch when the upgraditis bug nibbles and not have to buy anything. I've been very good about audio spending for nearly a year. I've spent a few hundred on DIY parts, but I've spent 95% of my audio money on more music. New black and silver discs keep the gear rotation fresh since you never know which headphone/amp combination will bring out the best until you've switched up several times.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #59 of 68
As Uncle Erik nailed it I own multiples due to curiosity, variety and if I may, aesthetics which can be sub-classified under variety. I do rotate 'em to get the most outa my money spent but I don't have any buyer's remorse w.r.t. audio gear.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #60 of 68
I don't have the money to support this hobby being a college student. But I found all I need is a closed can (D7000) and a medium tiered open cans (HD595 maybe a further upgrade to HD650 but its not in my headphone priorities). Also need a good IEM (looking at the CK10/CK100s) and a good portable headphone (ESW9/ESWjp10...I WISH) and that is it.

One for each occasion. I do want to try Grados since they said it sounded different than both opened and closed cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back