1 Awesome Headphone or Multiple Good headphones?
Feb 21, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the rest of your system. It's pointless to get an HD800 if you only have a soundcard to drive it. If the rest of your system is weak, I wouldn't even bother with getting multiple mid-fi headphones, I would upgrade the rest of the system. Unless of course you don't like the headphones you've got now - then you should find something you do like, and then build a system around it.

Hi-fi headphones are very revealing of system components and you will want to use them in a system that's as devoid of problems as possible. They're only a part of the equation, and you have to look at the whole.

x2, absolutely.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #62 of 68
ipod is weak as a source so its pointless to use headphones like k701 on it regardless of having expensive dacs, portable amp in between.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #63 of 68
I listen to a wide range of music and found that specific phones are suited for specific types of music. Mine are:

RS1i - rock, progressive metal, some acoustic, jazz and world depending on how bright I want it

D5000 - electronic music, pop, anything with a lot of keys, some acoustic, jazz and world, and when I want a bigger, badder bass

DT880/600ohm - complex, busy and/or psychedelic rock like Porcupine Tree or Pink Floyd, and other instances when I want a wide, amazing sound stage

GR8 IEM - with the T3 they sound great with pretty much anything on the go, extremely versatile and non-fatiguing so I can listen for hours on end

This being said, I sure would like a T1 to add to the collection. lol
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #64 of 68
I have multiple cans as I have not sold any on. Each one does have a specific use. I have a can for in the house alone (full sized open), in the house with others there (full sized closed), travelling (small closed) and holidays (folding with a nice case to also take the ipod and portable amp). So four is the minimum I will ever have.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #65 of 68
I don't own any upper tier cans but I think even if I did, I would still have multiple headphones with maybe two different rigs. If a lot of headphones have different sound signatures than why wouldn't you want to have different ways to listen to music? It just seems like a good thing to me, especially when you like a lot of different genres. I mean, my AD700s are much better than my portapros but I still like to listen to the koss' because they have a totally different sound signature.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a lot of headphones have different sound signatures than why wouldn't you want to have different ways to listen to music? It just seems like a good thing to me, especially when you like a lot of different genres.

because phones like the cd3k do it perfectly in every music style? I can't think of anything that sounds dull on it.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #67 of 68
I only need two headphones.

AD1000PRM: Inside
TF10Pro re-cabled: Outside

Simple.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #68 of 68
If I had to choose between spending $1500 on ONE headphone or buying several different cans I'd choose to buy:

-a great IEM ($400)
-a great desktop amp/dac ($500)
-a great headphone ($400)
-a great PMP ($200)

If I already had an amazing amp/dac I'd still choose the versatility of a pair of IEMs & a good headphone over just ONE killer headphone. Also, the best headphone in the world propably doesn't have the "fun" aspects you sometimes want.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd be bored to death with just having a single sound-signature to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back