「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #66,421 of 177,744
What's wrong with using a relay in the first place?
tongue.gif
Educate us

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #66,424 of 177,744
Quote:
It clicks.

It's annoying.

Jokes aside, relays tend to draw lots of power making them impractical for portable amps.

Just did some tests on my new volume control method, not looking good.
I might just call off this project since both of my ideas were not as successful as I'd hoped.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #66,426 of 177,744
Cardboard.
very_evil_smiley.gif

MDF with oak veneer

Eh, I was thinking something like this:
www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/320054d1354748992-active-monitors-some-vintage-speakers-amp-dbx_ii_speaker.jpg

My friend asked me to make a divergence meter (the one from Steins;Gate)
Gave up as soon as I saw the price of nixie tubes.... even the cheapest ones will go for $8 each, excluding shipping.
And the divergence meter has 8 digits!!! :frowning2:

being poor sucks.

I wanna get a job.

Tell him to pay you in advance?
I know that feel.

Jokes aside, relays tend to draw lots of power making them impractical for portable amps.

Just did some tests on my new volume control method, not looking good.

I might just call off this project since both of my ideas were not as successful as I'd hoped.

:frowning2:

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #66,427 of 177,744
Damn, after looking at all the different Nixie tubes, I really wanna waste some money on some of these, if only to make a really freaking awesome clock that doubles as a divergence counter...

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #66,429 of 177,744
Quote:
hmm... $40... Will get after monitor or dac.
frown.gif
what's the plot? (no spoiling)

Well the original Alan Wake is the only one you really need. American Nightmare you don't really have to worry about. But plot is kinda similar to the movie Secret Window, where main character is a writer and things begin happening making him question if his book is somehow coming to life or if he's going crazy. But gameplay is fun, not too cluttered but looks great on a good pc.
Found the xplay review to be closest to how i feel:

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #66,431 of 177,744
@my amp
I've just decided to call this off because with my current R&D budget, a O2 with output muting is about as good as it gets.
Sure, the O2 has DC offset is a few mV which is audible and the volume control is crap at low levels.... but solutions to those problems will cost more than I'm willing to pay.
In fact, it would be ridiculous if a student like myself was able to cook up something that out performs what the big guys out there made with their extensive R&D and expertise.

It was fun exploring some of these less conventional designs but I think I'm done here.

One of the volume control methods made its way into the beta22 I'm building since inaudible distortion doesn't seem to be a problem there.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Moving on.

I'm tempted to make myself a nixie tube wrist watch.......
I can use those cheap $3 tubes and I only need 2 of them
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #66,434 of 177,744
Quote:
I don't see the appeal at all.

Maybe it's just me loving vintage stuff.
I like vinyl records too btw. (even though I can't afford them....)

I used to like thermionic valves too..... until I designed a few valve amps....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back