「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #66,436 of 177,745
Buy some plywood and stain it.

Do they make plywood that's only a few millimeters thick?

Maybe it's just me loving vintage stuff.

I like vinyl records too btw. (even though I can't afford them....)

I used to like thermionic valves too..... until I designed a few valve amps....

Yay! Hipsters unite!
Btw, vinyl records themselves generally aren't that expensive if you buy used, it's the stuff required to play them that is :wink:

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #66,438 of 177,745
Damn... shipping costs more than the nixie tube itself..

Awww.... to hell with this.... I'm making myself a LED wrist watch to reflect my starving student electronic hobbyist status

Wozniak has a Nixie tube wrist watch, only two tiny little tubes. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #66,439 of 177,745
Quote:
Wozniak has a Nixie tube wrist watch, only two tiny little tubes.
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah saw it on wiki. Hipsters...

I prefer analog quartz watches.

Dad bought a ton of automatic watches when he was in China but was too cheap to buy a winder -_-

And he complains how his watches lose minutes every few weeks...

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #66,441 of 177,745
I did a version of the graphic EQ test tones for 23 bands
http://www.mediafire.com/?h7ulxyi0sdoxwwu

But there's no graphic EQ out there with 23 bands.  So what gives?

I think these tones can be used to calibrate a multiband parametric EQ like Electri-Q and using these 23 tones will yield results that are indistinguishable from the method I've been using all along with pure tones (and that I tried to explain in my never-finished beast of an EQ tutorial thread...)

With testing using pure tones (especially with full size headphones) one can hear countless peaks and dips in the 6-12kHz range, such that one can never hope to EQ them all out.  Never mind that the peaks and dips would shift each time you put on the phones differently.  And to top it off, our pitch perception in this range isn't that good, and in music there is rarely pure tones in this range such that even if the EQ could be made that precise, it probably can't be heard.  I'd experienced this myself, replacing the precisely sculpted peaks and dips of the SHE3580 EQ with a gentle curve approximating the loudness level of the general range of frequencies, and the difference in the perceived sound is minimal.

Using these files to calibrate a parametric EQ like Electri-Q is simple:
1. Download Electri-Q and George Yohng's VST wrapper and install them for foobar2000
2. Put Electri-Q into foobar's DSP chain
3. Load the group of test sounds into a playlist in foobar
4. Make 23 control points in Electri-Q with frequencies and BW settings corresponding to the filenames of the test sounds: e.g. 60 1.8.wav stands for making a point at 60Hz with BW=1.8
5. Play the 1000 1.5.wav tone and adjust the volume until it matches the volume at which you listen to music
6. Go through the list of test sounds and adjust the corresponding control points on the EQ (hold down shift while clicking on a point to change the gain / cut of each band by dragging up and down without changing the frequency by accident) until all the sounds sound equally as loud as the 1000 1.5.wav sound.  Make sure that the whole EQ curve stays below the 0dB line.  If boosting above 0dB is needed, create a "gain only" control point (right click on a new point->Basic->Gain only) to drag the whole curve down and increase the playback volume to compensate (so that 1000 1.5 plays as loud as before)

That's it!  No need for VST hosts, audio loopback or anything and less than a quarter of the steps of the previous method!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #66,442 of 177,745
Quote:
I did a version of the graphic EQ test tones for 23 bands
http://www.mediafire.com/?h7ulxyi0sdoxwwu

But there's no graphic EQ out there with 23 bands.  So what gives?

I think these tones can be used to calibrate a multiband parametric EQ like Electri-Q and using these 23 tones will yield results that are indistinguishable from the method I've been using all along with pure tones (and that I tried to explain in my never-finished beast of an EQ tutorial thread...)

With testing using pure tones (especially with full size headphones) one can hear countless peaks and dips in the 6-12kHz range, such that one can never hope to EQ them all out.  Never mind that the peaks and dips would shift each time you put on the phones differently.  And to top it off, our pitch perception in this range isn't that good, and in music there is rarely pure tones in this range such that even if the EQ could be made that precise, it probably can't be heard.  I'd experienced this myself, replacing the precisely sculpted peaks and dips of the SHE3580 EQ with a gentle curve approximating the loudness level of the general range of frequencies, and the difference in the perceived sound is minimal.

Using these files to calibrate a parametric EQ like Electri-Q is simple:
1. Download Electri-Q and George Yohng's VST wrapper and install them for foobar2000
2. Put Electri-Q into foobar's DSP chain
3. Load the group of test sounds into a playlist in foobar
4. Make 23 control points in Electri-Q with frequencies and BW settings corresponding to the filenames of the test sounds: e.g. 60 1.8.wav stands for making a point at 60Hz with BW=1.8
5. Play the 1000 1.5.wav tone and adjust the volume until it matches the volume at which you listen to music
6. Go through the list of test sounds and adjust the corresponding control points on the EQ (hold down shift while clicking on a point to change the gain / cut of each band by dragging up and down without changing the frequency by accident) until all the sounds sound equally as loud as the 1000 1.5.wav sound.  Make sure that the whole EQ curve stays below the 0dB line.  If boosting above 0dB is needed, create a "gain only" control point (right click on a new point->Basic->Gain only) to drag the whole curve down and increase the playback volume to compensate (so that 1000 1.5 plays as loud as before)

That's it!  No need for VST hosts, audio loopback or anything and less than a quarter of the steps of the previous method!

TL:DR

Just gonna throw money at my audio system instead.

tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #66,444 of 177,745
LOL

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #66,445 of 177,745
Quote:
I don't see the appeal at all.

What people find appealing is that they display numbers that are actually shaped like numbers, not forced into a squared off segmented display like digital readouts.

What does this divergence counter do? Does it just cycle numbers quickly? A lot of clock kits have a feature that does that to prevent cathode poisoning. You'd have to settle for 6 tubes, though.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #66,450 of 177,745
nice computer, stats?
As follows:
Case: Antec LanBoy Air Red (White Fractal deign R4 with side panel coming in around 5 days from now :D)
CPU: Intel I5-3570K
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3
GPU: EVGA GTX 480
Boot SSD: Intel 330 60GB
Game HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 64mb 7200 RPM
Storage HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 64mb 7200 RPM
CD: LITE-ON IHAS 624B (Flashed from 424B)
Sound Card: Creative X-FiTitanium HD (For sale)
PSU: Corsair TX750v2
RAM: G-Skill Sniper 4x4GB 2133Mhz
WiFi: Rosewill 300Mb/s card (Doesn't support 5.4GHz)
CPU Cooling: Thermal Water2.0 Pro

God, my mother just got a fine for bad parking in the post today.

Except it's from 2008...
LOL! I don't even know... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back