「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 4, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #177,091 of 177,745
Well you guys are the most terrible influence a lovely bunch, I'll be keeping an eye on Airpods Pro sales. (we get our black friday in about two months time, but some stores have one for the US sale as well)

Maybe I've dodged a bullet because there's some sort of repair program that came out.

I have an ereader (Kobo libra h2o) coming in tomorrow, hopefully it's a lot better than reading on a phone/tablet. I went for this over the Kindle because you can just chuck epubs on there no problem and you don't have to mess around with Amazon's proprietary formats. Kindles are a bit expensive here off-sale and I just missed prime day. =P

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #177,092 of 177,745
Been wearing Airpods Pro pretty much every moment I've been awake (yeee, ear infection is a concern if this keeps up for the next 2 years. I try to alternate one ear at a time). They do feel uncomfortable, especially when doing expressions like smiling, if I've worn them for a while. Seems to be a combination of the hard body that isn't quite the shape of my ear plus the eartips making the buds rest at an uncomfortable angle.

Tolerable and getting used to it with time. I would say that's its biggest con. My 1More 1M301 is more comfortable overall, maybe ear canal gets humid and irritated with it's default silicone tip over time, and sound with Airpods are about the same as Earpods, so pretty meh. Haven't left into that scary place called outside yet to test ANC or such so that hasn't been a big concern for me yet despite being a big selling point. If I turn my head fast, I will get static when ANC and transparency mode is on. Very minor and I assume it's just the wind catching on. I can definitely notice the DSP working full time to compensate for the Airpods Pro's sound deficiency, especially as small artifacts pop up over time. Definitely don't get this for music, if Earpod level performance is low enough to bother you.

APP have been pretty handy over the past few days with voice chats, and battery life is great using one at a time.

Only fell out 3 times unintentionally, first two were when I wasn't familiar with it and third was when exercising. Don't know how often they will fall out in the future as the silicone tip doesn't exactly plug into my ear that much.

Currently solves all the problems that bought it to solve. Still figuring out the particularities but no intention of returning it at the moment.

Strange request but I do hope the case can be magically smaller...if the buds can be a bit smaller, that'll be great too. Thanks Tim Apple.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #177,094 of 177,745
20_11_02_c.png
images

XFqHtXE_d.webp

Nov 5, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #177,095 of 177,745
Strange request but I do hope the case can be magically smaller...if the buds can be a bit smaller, that'll be great too. Thanks Tim Apple.

If there's one thing Apple can do, it's making things smaller, thinner, lighter. Makes you wonder how the Airpods will be in say five or ten years time. Straight outta sci-fi perhaps?

Ereader and e-ink displays are stonks. Can't believe I've gone so long without one, I've had it all for 8 hours and should it explode I would immediately order another one. They are a luxury of course so best to wait for sales (that way it's not toooo bad if you don't like it, just pawn it off to a friend).

My only criticism of the Kobo Libra H2O is that the backlight isn't quite even. There's some tint shift from left to right, but you don't notice it when you're actually reading. This is because it's lit from one edge and uses a diffuser panel to spread the light, it's a bit nitpicky but this is a decently expensive ereader. Contrast is also quite low but ehh that's just how it is with these displays.

I thought the "screen refresh" would be distracting, but apparently modern displays barely need to be refreshed (that's where the screen has to flash completely black, you can adjust it to refresh every x number of pages or by default it's per chapter).

Page turn speed is fantastic, by the time I finish a page and hit the button it feels like it's refreshed by the time my eyes move to the top. Physical page turn buttons are a godsend, it was either the Kobo Libra H2O or the Amazon Oasis. The Oasis is iPad money here which is a bit toooo much and I don't have a library yet.

Don't think it will be very good for manga, best to stick with text IMO. It would be too small, not contrasty enough and it's very laggy to zoom in to a panel for example.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #177,096 of 177,745
Implants that charge by heat when, Apple?

Switched the eartips to the largest ones and they have sounded significantly better, and the issue with the pressure from the hard plastic against my ears are gone as more of the AirPods are held on by the silicone tips. Using the large ones does give me a more stuffed feeling though as I usually use medium to small tips. Will keep trying for long term comfort but so far, I have been able to wear each tip for a full day with less comfort complaints compared to when I first got them, so that's good.
-
My dad used to have an e-reader that I simply kept for myself for a few years, a long long time ago. Don't know where it went honestly.

The flashing back then was horrible and often hurt my eyes after reading for a long time, but still loved it and spent countless hours reading on it.
I should probably get one someday but for now I'm mostly either buying physical books or audio books.

I was quite amused when I saw people playing Destiny 2 on an e-ink tablet via Stadia. 😂

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #177,098 of 177,745
...look ma', expensive audio stuff! I'm an audiophile now! 😁

Implants that charge by heat when, Apple?

Switched the eartips to the largest ones and they have sounded significantly better, and the issue with the pressure from the hard plastic against my ears are gone as more of the AirPods are held on by the silicone tips. Using the large ones does give me a more stuffed feeling though as I usually use medium to small tips. Will keep trying for long term comfort but so far, I have been able to wear each tip for a full day with less comfort complaints compared to when I first got them, so that's good.
-
My dad used to have an e-reader that I simply kept for myself for a few years, a long long time ago. Don't know where it went honestly.

The flashing back then was horrible and often hurt my eyes after reading for a long time, but still loved it and spent countless hours reading on it.
I should probably get one someday but for now I'm mostly either buying physical books or audio books.

I was quite amused when I saw people playing Destiny 2 on an e-ink tablet via Stadia. 😂
Apple supra/circumaurals when?

Still nothing beats 90's anime - Dragon ball, Zenki, One Piece, Ghostfighter, Flame of Recca... :grin: :beerchug:

This says otherwise:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #177,100 of 177,745
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #177,101 of 177,745
I sat on my glasses. ><

Blessing in disguise I guess? It's been 7+ years since I got my prescription checked so I might as well pick up a new pair (and maybe re-lens the old one as a backup).

Airpods Pro were on sale at Costco. Lucky they went out of stock almost instantly or I would have ordered them. I should really wait for next gen because it's just around the corner-ish. =P

Nov 16, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #177,102 of 177,745
Nov 21, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #177,104 of 177,745
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #177,105 of 177,745
The Airpods Pro are divine. (Black Friday sales got me =P)

What a huge quality of life upgrade, I'm floored. I won't even be salty if they released version 2 tomorrow, I'll just upgrade to Airpods Pro 5 whenever these batteries poop out.

They work very well on PC too. I'm using whatever bluetooth is on the Intel AX200 (5 I think) and the audio delay is basically imperceptible for a casual gamer like myself. (but I don't play any FPS)

I'll have to get a dedicated bluetooth card with an external antenna, my current setup is tuned for 5GHz wifi only so it drops out whenever I leave the room...or cover my ears with my hands.

I'm actually considering buying the $45 applecare plan which would mean I'd get a free battery replacement within 2 years if they end up going below 80%. It's probably worth it because I plan on using and abusing these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back