「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 10, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #176,761 of 177,744
I rewatched Prisma Illya + the movie (for the first time), and I must say, even more oofs than expected

Mar 10, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #176,762 of 177,744
Speaking of oofs, Re:zero season 2 is delayed another season because of you-know-what (human malware).

I fixed the HP X360, the shorted cap on the AC input line made the angry pixies flow and kill the input MOSFET. I replaced it with something similarly rated and it works fine.

Mar 10, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #176,763 of 177,744
Needed a new 3 feet cable for my iPhone so got one.
...accidentally misread and ordered a 3 meter one.
I am questioning why I haven't done this sooner.

Mar 11, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #176,765 of 177,744
Needed a new 3 feet cable for my iPhone so got one.
...accidentally misread and ordered a 3 meter one.
I am questioning why I haven't done this sooner.
Another success story about the metric system helping people.:deadhorse:

WOW! that icon is an absolute unit!(punmaster3000) I expected the microscopic version but I'm glad to see @AxelCloris finally working on improving the important stuff.

Mar 12, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #176,767 of 177,744
@El Melloi II Case Files or whatever it's called

(volume warning)

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #176,768 of 177,744
I'm down to around 10 rolls of toilet paper left for a household of 3....I think that's 5+ weeks or so.

I've never seen supermarkets this empty and depending on what time you go they run out of pasta, meat, eggs even shower gel/soap! Costco has a 2 hour queue before they even open, I almost want to go just to see how it is and get a hot dog.

Hopefully the supply chain kicks in and we'll be good in a couple weeks time, I bet all hell will break loose if we go into lockdown.

Been watching Bofuri and eeehhhhhh it's okaay, sort of cute I guess.

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #176,769 of 177,744
Yeah, heard it's specifically bad in Australia. Can't say how bad it's here - most of the shopping I do myself is small and in the village store. Which doesn't have supply problems knock on wood, but has a max-3-customers-at-once policy in place.

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #176,770 of 177,744
Toilet paper is pretty much like diamonds here's in Montreal Canada.

*Sigh*

I still have a decent amount left so no concern here. I only buy like once every year, when there's a discount on toilet paper, so I guess I was hoarding the paper TP before it was popular? 0.0

Also so many products on sale/free right now in in wake of the pandemic.

Spent the money I've been saving for a new art satchel on a bunch of art training resources.

BTW, for artists, THU TV Vol. 3 is free with the code you can find on their Facebook page. Every volume is genuinely amazing as art training stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #176,772 of 177,744
I see millions of people need TP to mod their headphones/AirPods. Very interesting....maybe I should try it too.
Huh, that's new. I should try it too...

3 meter cable is actually a bit too long and is a tripping hazard now, since I keep my phone near my bed when charging. XD

I never noticed because all my charging cables are white, I immediately identify them amidst the mess of black cables they are in. My new lightening cable is black, so I gotta isolated it for easy phone charging. Never realised how a simple difference in cable colors affected convenience before. 0.0

On a side note, 6 years and the lightening port on my iPhone is still amazing and fully functional. Ignoring the bandwidth and features, lightning is still amazing from a physical durability standpoint. Type C... I've had things constantly fall off/disconnect already on my one year old phone. :/

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #176,773 of 177,744
where I live I have not seen a TP crisis. we had more stocks or maybe France just has a lower number of cornholios? IDK
I'm still suffering a lot as I couldn't find the specific Barilla pasta that I like. it's a different level of crisis, but if we are what we eat, I'm at least 30% pasta. for me this is a fairly serious problem.

on the bright side, with everybody locked in, manga translators are in overdrive:kiss:. it makes staying in my room all day much more enjoyable.

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #176,774 of 177,744
On a side note, 6 years and the lightening port on my iPhone is still amazing and fully functional. Ignoring the bandwidth and features, lightning is still amazing from a physical durability standpoint. Type C... I've had things constantly fall off/disconnect already on my one year old phone. :/
Preach

Type-C ports accumulate debris more readily and are much harder to clean out. By design they also don't have a very good retention mechanism.
B77ECYw.jpg

I personally don't like Type C in phones. Its versatility contributes to its larger footprint, and makes it borderline too big to be used in phones. Lightning is a more viable reversible solution, because the receptacle inside the phone itself only has a single bank of contacts, and doubling up on the cable. Type C doubles up on both the receptacle and the cable connector, effectively making it at least 2x thicker than necessary.
Apple knows what they're doing. The Lightning connector in the dock is steel reinforced and doesn't put stress onto soldered connections, and the Lightning port in the phone is affixed directly onto the chassis using four screws, so the stress is relieved by the whole phone, unlike a soldered Micro USB port found in most Android phones.

30pin-adapter.jpeg

8dPOmXc.jpg

For what it is, the Lightning connector is the most durable mobile device connector on the market right now. People just abuse their Lightning cables and let their ports get stuffed full of crap.

sTU0Y8D.jpg
Yes, by design. The Lightning connector is a whole steel sheath, while the mini jack is a segmented metal connector segregated by plastic bands. The locking mechanism of the mini jack (how it grasps the endmost segment) also makes it prone to snapping off during normal use. The Lightning connector itself doesn't break during normal use, but they break at the strain relief because people either yank it out from the cable or they bend it back 180 degrees and hold it down under the phone to charge because their pockets are filthy, clogging up the dock connector inside the phone and end up being only able to charge at an angle.

Behold! The only connector that I trust to hold up a whole device all on its own.

Almost.

No, he's just kidding. They break at the cable/strain relief or whatever follows the connector, but never the connector itself. But mini jacks break all the time. I have to remove broken jacks for people all the time. I'll let you guys know the next time I do.

This reminds me of this video:

Yep. The next iPhone will definitely have it too; hopefully it will also have USB 3.0 transfer speeds over Lightning so it won't take forever to copy 100 GB of music. The iPad Pro 12.9 already can do 3.0 transfer speeds using a Lightning to Type-C cable, so it's a possibility. It's such a shame that pretty much every phone out there that has the Type-C port (with the exception of the Lumia 950) only does 2.0 speeds. What a waste of a good port. Besides it being reversible, it seems the only thing that device and cable manufacturers use the Type-C connector for is to violate the Type-C spec.

I've had mine for about a year and it works well. I use it with my iPhone 6 and have used it with a 6 Plus. Damaging the Lightning port is not a concern in the slightest, unless you intentionally flex it in directions other than normal use on a regular basis. The way the Lightning connector is designed makes it much stronger than what many people think, and way more durable than competing connectors like Micro USB and Type-C.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5coifw/bottom_line_about_the_iphone_dock/d9y8o4o/

Lightning is way sturdier than Type-C. The latter still uses a hollow connector design like Micro USB does, which makes it weaker than the former's solid connector. That's why no-one dares to make a free-standing dock like the iPhone Lightning Dock but for Type-C.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comm...y_with_usbc_iphone/d9crmd7/?context=8&depth=9

I could only find two but I’m sure there are more

Edit: found three more

I agree, just because Lightning is proprietary doesn't make it bad. I personally think Lightning is better than Type-C (on iOS devices), even. It's slimmer, more compact, and tougher than Type-C. It's strong enough to hold a device up without additional support, and there's no fear of breaking "that little thing" inside the port like on Micro USB and Type-C.
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/com...id_be_more_willing/d7gw0mm/?context=8&depth=9

I'm not sold either. Lightning is a vastly superior connector than USB Type-C for mobile device use. It draws a very distinct line between master and slave devices which simplifies the user experience, and to a logical extent, if it fits, it works. Type-C headphone dongles are a mess right now and Type-C display adapters aren't guaranteed to work on all phones with a Type-C port. Type-C to Type-A cables can also be a mixed bag because manufacturers often break the spec.

The Lightning connector is physically more robust than Type-C (the OEM cables though are a different story). One of my favorite Lightning accessories is the free-standing iPhone dock. Will we ever see a Type-C equivalent?
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comm...pad_pro_what_it_could_mean_for_users/e7mi1jo/

Apple's 30-pin was a bit mediocre (was able to hold a device upright on its own but was pretty fragile). Lightning is leagues better. In comparison, micro-USB sucked ass. Most implementations have a receptacle made of thin steel, meaning it would have a junction/seam somewhere. Ports often busted right along that junction/seam. Samsung in recent years had the best micro-USB ports, but the steel reinforcement they used to strengthen the electrical contacts "tongue" would separate, preventing the insertion of the connector. Type-C is reversible which is great, but it still has the "tongue" and this tongue creates spaces all around it that is perfect for accumulating pocket lint. Lightning has a comparatively larger uninterrupted hollow space, which is less likely to clog and easier to clean out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...panies_dont_believe_practice_planned/e7bskcv/

Hey check out my new headphones

9FA9EE7C-5C8A-4B36-958D-5EDED40F7175.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back