「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
post-15520419
Post #176,776 of 176,966

castleofargh

Sound Science Forum Moderator
Reaction score
where I live I have not seen a TP crisis. we had more stocks or maybe France just has a lower number of cornholios? IDK
I'm still suffering a lot as I couldn't find the specific Barilla pasta that I like. it's a different level of crisis, but if we are what we eat, I'm at least 30% pasta. for me this is a fairly serious problem.

on the bright side, with everybody locked in, manga translators are in overdrive:kiss:. it makes staying in my room all day much more enjoyable.

post-15520432
Post #176,777 of 176,966

vantt1

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
On a side note, 6 years and the lightening port on my iPhone is still amazing and fully functional. Ignoring the bandwidth and features, lightning is still amazing from a physical durability standpoint. Type C... I've had things constantly fall off/disconnect already on my one year old phone. :/
Preach

Type-C ports accumulate debris more readily and are much harder to clean out. By design they also don't have a very good retention mechanism.

I personally don't like Type C in phones. Its versatility contributes to its larger footprint, and makes it borderline too big to be used in phones. Lightning is a more viable reversible solution, because the receptacle inside the phone itself only has a single bank of contacts, and doubling up on the cable. Type C doubles up on both the receptacle and the cable connector, effectively making it at least 2x thicker than necessary.
Apple knows what they're doing. The Lightning connector in the dock is steel reinforced and doesn't put stress onto soldered connections, and the Lightning port in the phone is affixed directly onto the chassis using four screws, so the stress is relieved by the whole phone, unlike a soldered Micro USB port found in most Android phones.

For what it is, the Lightning connector is the most durable mobile device connector on the market right now. People just abuse their Lightning cables and let their ports get stuffed full of crap.

Yes, by design. The Lightning connector is a whole steel sheath, while the mini jack is a segmented metal connector segregated by plastic bands. The locking mechanism of the mini jack (how it grasps the endmost segment) also makes it prone to snapping off during normal use. The Lightning connector itself doesn't break during normal use, but they break at the strain relief because people either yank it out from the cable or they bend it back 180 degrees and hold it down under the phone to charge because their pockets are filthy, clogging up the dock connector inside the phone and end up being only able to charge at an angle.

Behold! The only connector that I trust to hold up a whole device all on its own.

Almost.

No, he's just kidding. They break at the cable/strain relief or whatever follows the connector, but never the connector itself. But mini jacks break all the time. I have to remove broken jacks for people all the time. I'll let you guys know the next time I do.

This reminds me of this video:

Yep. The next iPhone will definitely have it too; hopefully it will also have USB 3.0 transfer speeds over Lightning so it won't take forever to copy 100 GB of music. The iPad Pro 12.9 already can do 3.0 transfer speeds using a Lightning to Type-C cable, so it's a possibility. It's such a shame that pretty much every phone out there that has the Type-C port (with the exception of the Lumia 950) only does 2.0 speeds. What a waste of a good port. Besides it being reversible, it seems the only thing that device and cable manufacturers use the Type-C connector for is to violate the Type-C spec.

I've had mine for about a year and it works well. I use it with my iPhone 6 and have used it with a 6 Plus. Damaging the Lightning port is not a concern in the slightest, unless you intentionally flex it in directions other than normal use on a regular basis. The way the Lightning connector is designed makes it much stronger than what many people think, and way more durable than competing connectors like Micro USB and Type-C.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5coifw/bottom_line_about_the_iphone_dock/d9y8o4o/

Lightning is way sturdier than Type-C. The latter still uses a hollow connector design like Micro USB does, which makes it weaker than the former's solid connector. That's why no-one dares to make a free-standing dock like the iPhone Lightning Dock but for Type-C.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comm...y_with_usbc_iphone/d9crmd7/?context=8&depth=9

I could only find two but I’m sure there are more

Edit: found three more

I agree, just because Lightning is proprietary doesn't make it bad. I personally think Lightning is better than Type-C (on iOS devices), even. It's slimmer, more compact, and tougher than Type-C. It's strong enough to hold a device up without additional support, and there's no fear of breaking "that little thing" inside the port like on Micro USB and Type-C.
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/com...id_be_more_willing/d7gw0mm/?context=8&depth=9

I'm not sold either. Lightning is a vastly superior connector than USB Type-C for mobile device use. It draws a very distinct line between master and slave devices which simplifies the user experience, and to a logical extent, if it fits, it works. Type-C headphone dongles are a mess right now and Type-C display adapters aren't guaranteed to work on all phones with a Type-C port. Type-C to Type-A cables can also be a mixed bag because manufacturers often break the spec.

The Lightning connector is physically more robust than Type-C (the OEM cables though are a different story). One of my favorite Lightning accessories is the free-standing iPhone dock. Will we ever see a Type-C equivalent?
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comm...pad_pro_what_it_could_mean_for_users/e7mi1jo/

Apple's 30-pin was a bit mediocre (was able to hold a device upright on its own but was pretty fragile). Lightning is leagues better. In comparison, micro-USB sucked ass. Most implementations have a receptacle made of thin steel, meaning it would have a junction/seam somewhere. Ports often busted right along that junction/seam. Samsung in recent years had the best micro-USB ports, but the steel reinforcement they used to strengthen the electrical contacts "tongue" would separate, preventing the insertion of the connector. Type-C is reversible which is great, but it still has the "tongue" and this tongue creates spaces all around it that is perfect for accumulating pocket lint. Lightning has a comparatively larger uninterrupted hollow space, which is less likely to clog and easier to clean out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...panies_dont_believe_practice_planned/e7bskcv/

Hey check out my new headphones

9FA9EE7C-5C8A-4B36-958D-5EDED40F7175.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: U-3C
post-15520566
Post #176,778 of 176,966

vantt1

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Reactions: miceblue
post-15520977
Post #176,779 of 176,966

U-3C

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Also, just saying, compared to the fairly expensive lightening cables, adapters and peripherals that go through fairly rigorous certifications, the included usb c adapters and cables I've gotten included with certain products literally just fall out, and they are brand new!

________

Me: *the most gentle cough in my life while rolling in bed*

Imma stay home for 2 weeks before HR brings out the big guns on me.

\(^o^)/

Last edited:
post-15521640
Post #176,780 of 176,966

vantt1

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Also, just saying, compared to the fairly expensive lightening cables, adapters and peripherals that go through fairly rigorous certifications, the included usb c adapters and cables I've gotten included with certain products literally just fall out, and they are brand new!

________

Me: *the most gentle cough in my life while rolling in bed*

Imma stay home for 2 weeks before HR brings out the big guns on me.

\(^o^)/
Tip: use [hr][/hr] for a horizontal rule.

Take two

Last edited:
post-15521661
Post #176,781 of 176,966

U-3C

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Tip: use [hr][/hr] for a horizontal rule.

Take two

Finally know the secret!

Though I'm probably too lazy and will keep using dashes. :p

Last edited:
post-15525537
Post #176,783 of 176,966

U-3C

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Finally watched Princess Mononoke! I have to say, I prefer Spirited Away more but so glad I finally mustered up the strength to watch it.

My company is entering studio shutdown before the government's required date. It's always been a bit ahead but yay, officially on vacation (technically been voluntarily absent for a few days already but still, officially gone for now)!
There's a chance I'll be working from home, but I hope I can at least get the next two weeks off for some personal projects.
:grin:

Kinda nervous and excited to work from home. New experience I wish to try out for sure, but knowing the nature of my project as well as how crap my internet is when my roommate streams Netflix, which he will be doing all day from now on... 0.0;

post-15525623
Post #176,784 of 176,966

deadlylover

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Kinda nervous and excited to work from home. New experience I wish to try out for sure, but knowing the nature of my project as well as how crap my internet is when my roommate streams Netflix, which he will be doing all day from now on... 0.0;
Over here people are asked to bring their work computers home, friends have been asking me for wifi adaptors, ethernet cables, DP-DVI adaptors and such. The local office supply stores and even supermarkets are all sold out because they open til late, I think PC parts stores will have them but they close at normal times.

post-15525863
Post #176,785 of 176,966

vantt1

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Anyone playing Animal Crossing: New Horizon?

Violet Evergarden, at your service.
Neat! From reddit:
1585054717142.png

Over here people are asked to bring their work computers home, friends have been asking me for wifi adaptors, ethernet cables, DP-DVI adaptors and such. The local office supply stores and even supermarkets are all sold out because they open til late, I think PC parts stores will have them but they close at normal times.
1FCE7EE6-26B3-4D8C-B7A1-E73B141BEF1F.jpeg

IMG_20200324_172144.jpg

post-15526315
Post #176,786 of 176,966

Muinarc

President of the Lewis Hamilton Fan Club
Reaction score
Finally watched Princess Mononoke! I have to say, I prefer Spirited Away more but so glad I finally mustered up the strength to watch it.
I am offended. Mononoke is Miyazaki's Magnum Opus. Not sure we can be friends anymore :upside_down:

I just started a few weeks ago 1 day a week then suddenly forced to permanent. It's not too different if you can hyper focus like I tend to. Going to the bathroom "at work" is a lot more comfortable now :laughing:

post-15527726
Post #176,787 of 176,966

U-3C

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Okay, working from home day 1: everything is hopefully set up!

Due to the nature of my job, I am keeping my work PC and personal setup as separate as possible to prevent any accidental leaks (lots of sharing screenshots and such that has sensitive info. Usually we all use our internal network and communications channel for everything. Don't want to accidentally drag something very secret onto a public chat group or something by accident because it was one tab away. :p )

However, the display that they gave me has some issues with switching inputs (someone for some reason removed all the buttons on the display. I don't know why but ok), so I'm using one I have at home for the other input devices. Man, I have never been more happy I stocked some VGA and DVI cables. Thought they were a waste of money until today. Glad I have some spare HDMI cables and a super long ethernet cable I always cut up to make shorter ones.

No photos of my new setup as it contains some NDA hardware. Sorry. :p

All my coworkers are scrambling to get the right tools at the moment. It seems we all got HDMI to DP cables, when none of the stuff we use accepts DP.
:thinking: Non-essential stores are all closed, and Amazon takes time to deliver.

This is pretty much my team right now:

Welcome.png

--------------------

Rewatched Mononoke a few times. Beautiful work by Ghibli as always. ;o;

Might grab the OST someday but not familiar with how purchasing disks for Ghibli works? Is there an official retailer or any import sites you guys recommend?

Last edited:
post-15528557
Post #176,788 of 176,966

Muinarc

President of the Lewis Hamilton Fan Club
Reaction score
Okay, working from home day 1: everything is hopefully set up!

Due to the nature of my job, I am keeping my work PC and personal setup as separate as possible to prevent any accidental leaks (lots of sharing screenshots and such that has sensitive info. Usually we all use our internal network and communications channel for everything. Don't want to accidentally drag something very secret onto a public chat group or something by accident because it was one tab away. :p )

However, the display that they gave me has some issues with switching inputs (someone for some reason removed all the buttons on the display. I don't know why but ok), so I'm using one I have at home for the other input devices. Man, I have never been more happy I stocked some VGA and DVI cables. Thought they were a waste of money until today. Glad I have some spare HDMI cables and a super long ethernet cable I always cut up to make shorter ones.

No photos of my new setup as it contains some NDA hardware. Sorry. :p

All my coworkers are scrambling to get the right tools at the moment. It seems we all got HDMI to DP cables, when none of the stuff we use accepts DP.
:thinking: Non-essential stores are all closed, and Amazon takes time to deliver.
I was prepping a WFH setup 2 weeks before this all happened. The plan was to work 1 day a week from home but then...... now I'm here every day. Guess the timing was good, I also had a few cable issues to work out and Amazon was working back then :p. I got a KVM switch and am using 1 kb and mouse to operate both systems, been working well so far.

Rewatched Mononoke a few times. Beautiful work by Ghibli as always. ;o;

Might grab the OST someday but not familiar with how purchasing disks for Ghibli works? Is there an official retailer or any import sites you guys recommend?
Ghibli sells their merch almost everywhere, other than the store attached to their museum I don't think there's any exclusive dealers or anything like that. I guess fakes abound seeing as how famous they are so you might watch for that.

Reactions: U-3C
post-15528620
Post #176,789 of 176,966

U-3C

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I was prepping a WFH setup 2 weeks before this all happened. The plan was to work 1 day a week from home but then...... now I'm here every day. Guess the timing was good, I also had a few cable issues to work out and Amazon was working back then :p. I got a KVM switch and am using 1 kb and mouse to operate both systems, been working well so far.

Ghibli sells their merch almost everywhere, other than the store attached to their museum I don't think there's any exclusive dealers or anything like that. I guess fakes abound seeing as how famous they are so you might watch for that.
Gotcha. Looked in Amazon but prices were completely wack. Given current circumstances, I wasn't sure if it was due to current events or if this is how it's always been with the third party sellers. Never looked into it before as all my music has been digital, so I have no frame of reference.

It's been a long time since I've had music stored on disks. :0
_________

Work from home, Day 2:

Set up my station right next to my bed so I don't actually need to get up for work. Waiting on a security key so been rolling in bed for over 5 hours already. This is actually awesome, to be able to press a button while still wrapped in warm, warn blankets and to start working without ever leaving my comfort zone.

Bouncing memes with my project manager for now as IT sorts things out.

"Look ma, I'm working from home!"

*Rolls around in blanket wraps*

Last edited:
post-15532990
Post #176,790 of 176,966

U-3C

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
NIER IS BACK LET'S DO THIS
I really wanted to play old man Nier thou. :frowning2:

-------

Heard for a while that Nvidia's future G-Sync modules will support Freesync as well, but aside from a slight few, didn't really know which monitors had the updated firmware.

Just learnt today that my monitor has it!

1585523523439.png

One dilemma when choosing this monitor was that I will be giving up Freesync if in the future I decided to go AMD for a dedicated gaming rig and pair it with this monitor. The monitor is fantastic for gaming. I just prefer 4k60 vs 1440p high refresh rate for my work, so it's likely I will replace my daily driver with a 4k one and only use this for gaming.

If I ever build a rig just for gaming, there's no need for Nvidia for CUDA support, so compatibility with this G-sync display will be the only reason why I might want to stick with Nvidia for high refresh rates. Glad to know there's no compromises after all with choosing AMD in the future. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)