「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 3, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #176,806 of 177,742
I feel you on this one.

On the bright side, those components age well so not much to lose out on in terms of delaying a build.

Say, any of you guys owned/have tried an OM5 chair by Office Master?

After trying a few Herman Millers, I've come to the conclusion that their lineup doesn't fit me very well in terms of comfort.

The OM5 looks promising so starting to really consider it.
I don't think they sell them over in the UK.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #176,807 of 177,742
After trying a few Herman Millers, I've come to the conclusion that their lineup doesn't fit me very well in terms of comfort.

Hmm could you try a Steelcase Leap? Looking at it closer it seems like the OM5 borrows a lot from the basic design of the Leap, except it doesn't have adjustability and the back isn't padded.

The only thing that can really break is the gas lift on an old model, and even then it's just $20 in parts, very easy to replace. (I replaced one recently and it damn near feels like a solid chair, there's no give when sitting down =P)

I bought a bunch with no armrests for the garage for maybe $70 each from a used office furniture dealer, they were built in 2005 but everything still works. My newer V2 with armrests that I use daily is from 2013ish and it basically feels brand new. I actually like the conventional cloth and foam padding materials because it can be refurbished easily whenever it wears out just like you do with old furniture...until the disposable age hit us of course.

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #176,808 of 177,742
I was this close to installing LINE.

Screenshot_20200404-170510~2.png

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #176,809 of 177,742
Hmm could you try a Steelcase Leap? Looking at it closer it seems like the OM5 borrows a lot from the basic design of the Leap, except it doesn't have adjustability and the back isn't padded.

The only thing that can really break is the gas lift on an old model, and even then it's just $20 in parts, very easy to replace. (I replaced one recently and it damn near feels like a solid chair, there's no give when sitting down =P)

I bought a bunch with no armrests for the garage for maybe $70 each from a used office furniture dealer, they were built in 2005 but everything still works. My newer V2 with armrests that I use daily is from 2013ish and it basically feels brand new. I actually like the conventional cloth and foam padding materials because it can be refurbished easily whenever it wears out just like you do with old furniture...until the disposable age hit us of course.

Looking into the leap too.

Hoping to purchase a new chair by the end of the year. Really want to take my time on this one to get one that won't hurt me.

But dang, 70 dollars? I'll look into local furniture dealers. Don't expect to be so lucky but who knows.

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #176,810 of 177,742
But dang, 70 dollars? I'll look into local furniture dealers. Don't expect to be so lucky but who knows.

Here in Australia they are like the de facto standard work chair, so when businesses upgrade or go under they flood the second hand market. There are 6 Leaps in my home. XD

They clean up very nicely with a hot water extractor/carpet cleaner/Rug Doctor.

I think having adjustments is crucial, I have four regular guests here and they all set up the Leaps differently. 12 hour LAN gaming sessions are no problem, and I'm on my chair for what seems like 16 hours a day.

Speaking of businesses going under...because of the current world crisis I'm sure there will be some deals popping up in the future. Even if you decide on another chair it's always good to have a couple of cheap Leaps around for friends and family.

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #176,811 of 177,742
I was this close to installing LINE.

Screenshot_20200404-170510~2.png

The ads aren't in the chats. I just looked and I can't find any. The closest thing to an "ad" you get is maybe once every few months it opens a new chat that says "Justin Beiber joined line!" and I don't know how those work I just delete them. You can probably turn them off.

I thought maybe the sticker store had ads but I dont see any in there either.

Apr 5, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #176,814 of 177,742
I bought the beginnings of a new PC build in Jan. and put the brakes on it when I determined I wouldn't buy a board with a fan on it (this is for an HTPC) and I kind of want to only go with Intel (I've been exclusively Intel since my Athlon 1.2ghz T-bird :p ) if they can release 7/10nm chips with meltdown fixes.

When I saw that AMD Zen 3 was expected by the end of the year (I bet this will be delayed now for covid :frowning2: ) I figured I'd just wait. So here I am with a nice new PC case, a SSD and power supply but no other parts to install!

I used a PC with regular fans on it and it didn't really affect music listening that much

Although, I'm now using a notebook for this

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #176,815 of 177,742
I have almost 2 cubic meter of crap and acoustic panels stacked around the computer. it reduces noises very well at all but the lowest frequencies. when summer comes I just change things a little so most of the exiting warm air is moved all the way to the ventilation opening in my bathroom.

winter config:
Harry-Tuttle37.jpg

summer config:
BRAZILDISC1-208.jpg

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #176,816 of 177,742
Here in Australia they are like the de facto standard work chair, so when businesses upgrade or go under they flood the second hand market. There are 6 Leaps in my home. XD

They clean up very nicely with a hot water extractor/carpet cleaner/Rug Doctor.

I think having adjustments is crucial, I have four regular guests here and they all set up the Leaps differently. 12 hour LAN gaming sessions are no problem, and I'm on my chair for what seems like 16 hours a day.

Speaking of businesses going under...because of the current world crisis I'm sure there will be some deals popping up in the future. Even if you decide on another chair it's always good to have a couple of cheap Leaps around for friends and family.

I envy you. :grin:

Looking locally, nope. No known dealers at first signt. Guess I'll just have to save that grand of freedom units for a good chair unless I find someone eventually.

There seems to be one place to try the Leap here in the city, but COVID-19 lockdown for non-essential businesses is a thing soooooo...

Guess that gives me more time to research.

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #176,817 of 177,742
I bought the beginnings of a new PC build in Jan. and put the brakes on it when I determined I wouldn't buy a board with a fan on it (this is for an HTPC) and I kind of want to only go with Intel (I've been exclusively Intel since my Athlon 1.2ghz T-bird :p ) if they can release 7/10nm chips with meltdown fixes.

When I saw that AMD Zen 3 was expected by the end of the year (I bet this will be delayed now for covid :frowning2: ) I figured I'd just wait. So here I am with a nice new PC case, a SSD and power supply but no other parts to install!
Me, first time switching to AMD and buying Zen 2, colorized (right now):

1586161871927.png

I used a PC with regular fans on it and it didn't really affect music listening that much

Although, I'm now using a notebook for this
This'll be my first (partially) watercooled system, wish me luck!

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #176,818 of 177,742
Me, first time switching to AMD and buying Zen 2, colorized (right now):

1586161871927.png

Custom loop? All it takes is patience, and not going cheap with the hose fittings or pump. As long as you are aware of the materials you buy so you don't get the galvanic reaction issues you'll be fine!

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #176,819 of 177,742
Custom loop? All it takes is patience, and not going cheap with the hose fittings or pump. As long as you are aware of the materials you buy so you don't get the galvanic reaction issues you'll be fine!
Nope, just an AIO cooler. Custom loop water cooling scares me.

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #176,820 of 177,742

My first and last watercooling setup was the ooooold Asetek Xternal. You ever wonder why cases used to have two holes with rubber grommets at the back for watercooling tubes? It was really popular to have external setups and waaaay back then we used to use car radiators and such!

These days, AMD/Intel get a lot out of their chips and we hit diminishing returns quickly. It used to be worth overclocking for 30-50% gains, but these days it's only 5-10% if that.

So now I just stick with big hunks of metal with brown fans. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back