Feb 28, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #147,301 of 177,745

20150227183546.jpg

LOLOL

3n0RoIi.jpg

HOxNZ8E.jpg

LfwsRkr.jpg

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #147,302 of 177,745
  /ninja mode off

I do hope there's a lot (more) people knowledgeable about PCs in here now. I have a question.

So my CM Evo 212 fan is about to die(more like not spinning on start, have to manually push it for it to start spinning. Too lazy to bother, great excuse to buy anew fan anyway).  So in the market for a new 120mm fan. Being the third world country I'm living in with its currency currently falling, the only good fan choice I have sis the Noctua. So here's the wuestion :

Should I buy 2 normal NF-F12 PWM(I settled on this model) or buy 1 NF-F12 PPC 2000RPM(I think 3000RPM is too loud. Not sure. Can't find reviews)? Skipped the Redux cause the accessories are too little. I don't mind the brown colour. I actually like it, eventhough it doesn't fit my colour scheme, if there was any to begin with anyway. This is gonna be long term cause i don't plan on changing my coolers until I make a full overhaul of my PC in the next, 3-4 years maybe.

So please enlighten me AAMML PC mustardrace~

Fans aren't my expertise sorry :frowning2:

I do know that people liike

Scythe
Noctua
Cougar

check them out and see what works for you.

You need to specify if you care aboutPWM (i know you chose it) for what it can do with CPU heat temp and calculate fan speed depending on it. But if you don't care about it, you can forgo it.

Some of those fans are also more meant for performance than silence. Choose one although there are good middle ground fans that can do both

RPM != CFM

CFM != Performance != Pressure Created in case

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #147,303 of 177,745

Scythe
Noctua
Cougar

You need to specify if you care aboutPWM (i know you chose it) for what it can do with CPU heat temp and calculate fan speed depending on it. But if you don't care about it, you can forgo it.

Some of those fans are also more meant for performance than silence. Choose one although there are good middle ground fans that can do both

RPM != CFM

What's CFM

You can always buy fans from electronics distributors like mouser or RS, they usually have specs like noise in dB SPL and airflow in m^3/s.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #147,305 of 177,745

Scythe
Noctua
Cougar

RPM != CFM

Unfortunately, they don't sell any other high end fans here except Noctuas. And not planning to import any fans cause I need them in a few days. 

I don't mind the silence really. All I care is about the performance. So I' fine on that I think.

Both fans are probably the same really, except the RPM and construction, so I was thinking it boils down to having 2 fans or 1 fan on a heatsink. 

Maybe there are more to think about, but I'm not that much knowledgeable on fans either.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #147,306 of 177,745

What's CFM

You can always buy fans from electronics distributors like mouser or RS, they usually have specs like noise in dB SPL and airflow in m^3/s.

CFM is the cubic feet per minute. How much air it pushes through in 3 dimensional volume per minute that is.

He is looking for high end specialty fans for PCs from Enthusiast makers

Unfortunately, they don't sell any other high end fans here except Noctuas. And not planning to import any fans cause I need them in a few days. 

I don't mind the silence really. All I care is about the performance. So I' fine on that I think.

Both fans are probably the same really, except the RPM and construction, so I was thinking it boils down to having 2 fans or 1 fan on a heatsink. 

Maybe there are more to think about, but I'm not that much knowledgeable on fans either.

Look up some reviews on Noctuas highest performing fans then :)

But do realize that sometimes, depending on the fan cost, it may be cheaper to sell your cooler to a friend, and buy a better cooler instead that performs better

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #147,308 of 177,745
  CFM is the cubic feet per minute. How much air it pushes through in 3 dimensional volume per minute that is.

He is looking for high end specialty fans for PCs from Enthusiast makers

Look up some reviews on Noctuas highest performing fans then :)

But do realize that sometimes, depending on the fan cost, it may be cheaper to sell your cooler to a friend, and buy a better cooler instead that performs better

Like I said, it's basically a dual fan setup or single fan-that-is-better-than-the-single-fan-used-in-the-dual setup.

Maybe, but don't think anyone would buy an entry heatsink(minus the almost dead fan) only. Plus I don't have enough money to get a better cooler overall.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #147,309 of 177,745
  You crazy Americans and your units....

But cubic is also metric no? 
rolleyes.gif

just change feet to......meters or something lol. 

Like I said, it's basically a dual fan setup or single fan-that-is-better-than-the-single-fan-used-in-the-dual setup.

Maybe, but don't think anyone would buy an entry heatsink(minus the almost dead fan) only. Plus I don't have enough money to get a better cooler overall.

Gatcha, most of the nice Noctuas here are the cost of very decent better than 212 air coolers so I wasn't sure. 

PM haiburi, he reads up on fans a lot. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #147,310 of 177,745

For me I would pick the 2000rpm one I guess

I try not to deviate too much from the original specs lol

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #147,311 of 177,745

Just get whatever is easy/cheap, a couple of degrees here or there isn't going to make a big difference. In general, moar RPM = moar noise, so match it with your current fans if you're happy with the noise level.

Forget about the anoraks discussing static pressure vs CFM vs noise. No, a whizzbang Noctua isn't going to deliver significantly more airflow at a lower noise level than some cheapie.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #147,312 of 177,745

For me I would pick the 2000rpm one I guess

I try not to deviate too much from the original specs lol

I guess then lol.

Just get whatever is easy/cheap, a couple of degrees here or there isn't going to make a big difference. In general, moar RPM = moar noise, so match it with your current fans if you're happy with the noise level.

Forget about the anoraks discussing static pressure vs CFM vs noise. No, a whizzbang Noctua isn't going to deliver significantly more airflow at a lower noise level than some cheapie.

But but.... EPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #147,313 of 177,745

I guess then lol.

But but.... EPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

If it makes you feel any better, one of the Noctua's on my D14 doesn't spin up on power on, I can't be bothered to do anything about it, I'll just live with the one fan instead of two. XD

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #147,314 of 177,745

If it makes you feel any better, one of the Noctua's on my D14 doesn't spin up on power on, I can't be bothered to do anything about it, I'll just live with the one fan instead of two. XD

LOL. 

Oh right, I forgot I had an extra 140mm fan. I wonder if there's a DIY mod to fit it on the 212 heatsink. Hmm....

And also, for ease of understanding, here's the CM fan on my 212 vs my noctua 140mm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzyaufwgqdjphpy/VIDEO0004.mp4?dl=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back