「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #121,951 of 177,750
I'm running OS X Yosemite and the OS hasn't crashed once since going beta. Only some of the apps that aren't yet compatible have. When I was running Mavericks I think I had it crash all of 2x and that was my own fault for screwing with system commands.

Bah, I have no reason to upgrade to Mavericks/Yosemite. XD
Many of the "new features" are iOS lamezors stuff that I'll never use.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #121,952 of 177,750
mvYxcSP.jpg

VA1RTtd.jpg

lkCMaiT.jpg

nhOCk4c.jpg

c6dZMOi.jpg

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #121,953 of 177,750

Yeah, by the looks of it, all Yosemite's gonna do is improve iOS integration. Since I have not a single iOS device, there isn't really any incentive for me to upgrade. BUT, if my Apple logo fades out again if I upgrade, I might as well.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #121,954 of 177,750

I'm more disappointed in myself for not beating you to HS status! (hehe)

Such blasphemy...
tongue.gif

By the way...I'm about to post the quiz answer, which I meant to do yesterday.

I was about to say, we kind of had an unofficial race to HS status a while ago since we both joined in the same month, but I couldn't find the quote.

You certainly did beat me on these scoreboards:

Y4q7eWC.png
wI4iGis.png

B0wF4EA.png

The moment of truth...

Yeah, I was going to make it official too, but didn't show you the wacky calculations I made. If only I had started posting more a week or two earlier...

Mac users should like this:

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #121,955 of 177,750
Oh nice. So Yosemite is really stable huh? I wasn't sure I wanted to make a new partition just to screw around in it. Running Mavericks right now. It's been bulletproof

It's stable for a beta. I'm not taxing it at the moment since I know it's beta. Annoyed that Apple has broken Trim Enabler for the time being. Hopefully that gets corrected soon.

Hopefully Yosemite sorts out all those sluggish animations, or at least gives you a toggle. Every drag and drop operation is followed by a brief pause, which slows everything down for me. The full screen animation is also unnecessarily slow.

I haven't noticed any speed issues or delay after system animations. I'll have to look for it.

But, new toys! I agree that a lot of the new stuff is focused around integration with iOS. Can't wait for the new messaging functionality to be enabled. It's not currently active between Yosemite/iOS 8.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #121,956 of 177,750

Mac is less buggy compared to Windows, but it's still buggy nonetheless. Now I know why people hate Macs. Apple claims perfection (which IMO they have done with the hardware and looks), the software is completely unproductive when it comes to doing work. I much prefer Windows if I want to get work done.

This is my scenario (but Mountain Lion -> Mavericks instead of Snow Leopard -> Lion)

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #121,957 of 177,750
Mac is less buggy compared to Windows, but it's still buggy nonetheless. Now I know why people hate Macs. Apple claims perfection (which IMO they have done with the hardware and looks), the software is completely unproductive when it comes to doing work. I much prefer Windows if I want to get work done.

The few times I used a modern Mac, I had no idea how to do anything, lol...although I do own a 1980s Macintosh computer that I used to have fun with as a kid.

Supposedly, Macs are better for audio-related stuff like recording, producing, mixing, playback, etc.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #121,958 of 177,750

This is my scenario (but Mountain Lion -> Mavericks instead of Snow Leopard -> Lion)

You're worried about that, of all things? I didn't even notice that with Mountain Lion. XD
I'm disappointed with how "slow" the wake is from sleep mode. When the MacBook Air first came out, the "Instant Wake" feature was a huge hit. I tried it recently and it looks like Lion and above killed that. There's like a 5-10 second delay time, sometimes, as opposed to how it was in Snow Leopard. There are multiple threads in the Apple support forums about the slow wake times.

The battery drain for Mavericks isn't too enticing either. >.>

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #121,959 of 177,750
Aug 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #121,961 of 177,750

The few times I used a modern Mac, I had no idea how to do anything, lol...although I do own a 1980s Macintosh computer that I used to have fun with as a kid.

Supposedly, Macs are better for audio-related stuff like recording, producing, mixing, playback, etc.

That thing about Macs being better at audio related stuff is almost as full of s*** as Beats Audio being made for professionals. 

You're worried about that, of all things? I didn't even notice that with Mountain Lion. XD
I'm disappointed with how "slow" the wake is from sleep mode. When the MacBook Air first came out, the "Instant Wake" feature was a huge hit. I tried it recently and it looks like Lion and above killed that. There's like a 5-10 second delay time, sometimes, as opposed to how it was in Snow Leopard. There are multiple threads in the Apple support forums about the slow wake times.

The battery drain for Mavericks isn't too enticing either. >.>

Yep, I've noticed the laggy wake from sleep too. For an all-flash system, it's disappointingly slow. Battery life is also disappointingly short(er than the quoted usage time, e.g. it's supposed to be "up to 8 hours" but I usually only get about 6).

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #121,963 of 177,750
From Apple's website:

Quote:
So whether it’s been one day or 30, your all-flash MacBook Pro will spring to life, exactly where you left off.

Nope! It's more like "open the lid, wait two seconds, be greeted with a screen of white noise for another second, cut to black for a split second then spring to life".

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #121,964 of 177,750
  Do they fix this in Yosemite?

Battery drain hasn't been an issue for me. On battery I force the MBP to stick with the integrated graphics. Since the NVIDIA chip doesn't turn on I can still easily get about 8-9 hours of battery life. This is on a top tier mid-2012 MBP. Of course that's with things like BT turned off and brightness at a moderate level.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #121,965 of 177,750

Holy crap O_o I don't think I've ever seen my system that slow, even when rendering video. That's crazy.

It only looks laggy because it's recording the whole screen. And because I'm using a custom density that makes it look more like 1680x1050 for more screen real estate, for some weird reason it records the video in 3360x2100. Screenshots are also 3360x2100, which is a little annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back