「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #98,447 of 177,750
Long time no post. I've been lurking mostly, I almost jumped in when I saw the Tales of Symphonia related post yesterday. I love that game. But now I have an actual anime/manga related question lol.

A part of winter break really took a turn for the worst, and I could use a good manga/anime for cheering up. I dunno what, something comedy maybe? I have no idea. I haven't ever needed to look for anything like that haha. I'll probably go through 10%+ (not a manga) again too, but I can finish that in a couple hours. I'd play vidya games but my brother takes over the Wii all the time and I've already gone through my Vita/3DS games enough over the school quarter and find myself wanting a different vidya.

SO I'll just gather a list of anime/manga and pick whichever looks best to me or something I guess. What do you find cheers you up when feeling down?

I feel for you, being down and at this time of year is a real bummer. I have suffered from depression in the past and took medication for it for about 12 years. I think everyone copes differently, laughing can help, but counterintuitively, I found depressing stuff to help as well, my theory on that being that whoever wrote the song/script/etc must have felt the same way I did at the time.... so you don't feel alone.

Comedy isn't as easy to recommend as you would think, as people's sense of humor can vary so much. That being said, I will list some of my favorite pure/slapstick comedy series below :wink:

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Nichijou
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Joshiraku
Kyou no Asuka Show (short series)
Galaxy Angel (season 3 was the best season..you could skip season 2)

Then there are shows like Ben-to that have such a ridiculous premise that I laughed quite a bit watching.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #98,448 of 177,750
Long time no post. I've been lurking mostly, I almost jumped in when I saw the Tales of Symphonia related post yesterday. I love that game. But now I have an actual anime/manga related question lol.

A part of winter break really took a turn for the worst, and I could use a good manga/anime for cheering up. I dunno what, something comedy maybe? I have no idea. I haven't ever needed to look for anything like that haha. I'll probably go through 10%+ (not a manga) again too, but I can finish that in a couple hours. I'd play vidya games but my brother takes over the Wii all the time and I've already gone through my Vita/3DS games enough over the school quarter and find myself wanting a different vidya.
SO I'll just gather a list of anime/manga and pick whichever looks best to me or something I guess. What do you find cheers you up when feeling down?
I know everyone deals with things differently, but eh. I don't have anything to read/watch when I feel down and I'm sure others do, so I'll do what I usually do and get advice.

On a good note, I noticed Amazon has the Bravely Default Collectors Edition up. And for $10 more than the regular edition, I can say that's pretty great and I'll just have that be my Christmas present from my parents, even though it doesn't come out until February.
Ichigo 100% always does

Maybe Busou Renkin, Gintama or some bleach?

I find that Shounen and most manga helps tl cheer me up by taking my mind of everything?

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #98,449 of 177,750
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu

makes me smile everytime

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #98,450 of 177,750

I know everyone deals with things differently, but eh. I don't have anything to read/watch when I feel down and I'm sure others do, so I'll do what I usually do and get advice.

On a good note, I noticed Amazon has the Bravely Default Collectors Edition up. And for $10 more than the regular edition, I can say that's pretty great and I'll just have that be my Christmas present from my parents, even though it doesn't come out until February.

YOTSUBA! always makes me happy :D They need to make an Anime for it already >.> 

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #98,451 of 177,750

I feel for you, being down and at this time of year is a real bummer. I have suffered from depression in the past and took medication for it for about 12 years. I think everyone copes differently, laughing can help, but counterintuitively, I found depressing stuff to help as well, my theory on that being that whoever wrote the song/script/etc must have felt the same way I did at the time.... so you don't feel alone.

Comedy isn't as easy to recommend as you would think, as people's sense of humor can vary so much. That being said, I will list some of my favorite pure/slapstick comedy series below
wink.gif

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Nichijou
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Joshiraku
Kyou no Asuka Show (short series)
Galaxy Angel (season 3 was the best season..you could skip season 2)

Then there are shows like Ben-to that have such a ridiculous premise that I laughed quite a bit watching.

Ben-to made me laugh far more than necessary.

As for Nichijou, that show was a masterpiece. Every episode was beyond enjoyable.

P.S. Thank you for the YQ episode. I am in your debt. =P

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #98,452 of 177,750
Comedy manga:

Oyasumi Punpun - lol jk, it has plenty of dark comedy but it's depressing
Flower of Life -high school comedy done right, parodies a lot of things about otaku culture, with plenty of manga references
From Eroica with Love - a classic, very old series and is still ongoing, but it's the funniest comic I've read. I recommend skipping 1st volume since it's the weakest
Patalliro! - like Eroica it's a parody of spy stories and BL, very tongue in cheek and has more manga/anime references than you can shake a stick at
Longer and Slower than a River - sort of a edgier counterpart to Flower of Life, about slackers and their shenanigans
Nodame Cantabile - this one is pretty well known
Gokusen - josei version of GTO

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #98,453 of 177,750

Ben-to made me laugh far more than necessary.

As for Nichijou, that show was a masterpiece. Every episode was beyond enjoyable.

P.S. Thank you for the YQ episode. I am in your debt. =P

Oh yea Nichijou... is a RIOT 

it should make you smile too! 

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #98,456 of 177,750
Watch Joshiraku!
Funniest anime I know :wink:
And you could watch some Bebop or Black Lagoon for some great action!

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #98,457 of 177,750
Dec 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #98,459 of 177,750

:/
I'm sorry to hear the news, especially at this time of the year. I hope things turn out better soon.

You mentioned the Wii and I was going to say try playing through Super Mario Galaxy since that's what I'm doing at the moment, but then you mentioned your brother uses the Wii all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back