「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 12, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #175,501 of 177,745
1v1 me on Project Cars 2 bruh.

Anime mod the cars so we have waifus in the passenger seat

Not really a big fan of those types of games. Sorry. :frowning2:

I'm mainly checking out this game out of nostalgia and curiousity, as they now have a (slightly cheesy) voice acted story mode. So far pretty fun so I'll play it for a bit more, but I actually never really enjoyed other racing games. :cold_sweat:

Been going through a burn out recently so I started looking at games that I liked from the past to doodle some art.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #175,502 of 177,745
I haven't been playing Project Cars much, even though I have a wheel now... Too much World of Warships.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #175,503 of 177,745
I haven't been playing Project Cars much, even though I have a wheel now... Too much World of Warships.

Did War Thunder ever get their ships working? All I remember was War Gaming is beyond garbage with planes (I guess Gaijin isn't good at planes when it comes to Arcade but the other 2 modes were fine). Both are okay-ish with tanks from what I remember.

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #175,504 of 177,745
Really enjoying Darling in the FRANXXX, they keeping it hype fo sho.

I'm a little annoying that /r/anime is ignoring or not attributing so much of that show to Gundam. They keep bringing up NGE which indeed is a massive influence and has lots of cameos in terms of scene differences/story things. But NGE themselves took heavilly from Gundam as well.

Doing a ctrl search for "Gundam" in each episode thread there almost always yields little. The opening bootup scenes in EP1, how they show the booster heatsink fins, mecha Franx Startup procedures and rolling out are all so Gundam like. And then there is this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comm...medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=anime

NANI ?!?!?! SORE!??

36c.gif

yes. NGE did it. But guess who did it first that NGE took inspiration from? I'm sure that scene was more of a direct reference to NGE but bruh.....

So much of this story has its origins in Gundam (Gundam by no means started these tropes, but had a huge hand in making them popular with the later creation of Macross as well) with its orphan possibly engineered and sheltered children being brought up by society to pilot mech units that uses some pairing system (soooo much Gundam here). Then we have mobility moving bases that faces destruction to be saved by a keystone mecha unit. (Gundam) with awesomeo bootup scenes on an initial piloting spree. Only for the following few episodes to have the initial pilot not being able to pilot it...followed by a miraculous event that forces them to pilot it again ...... Gundam

I like Gundams too much. I must staph

I'm actually hoping for some really nice fight scenes for episode 6. They showed a very short clip with her just destroying people on the battlefield in what looked like trench warfare and then her running through No Man's Land (I think this is the term they used for the area between 2 trenches).

I'm just curious as to why Gilbert's brother

Was so angry/angsty at her at the end of EP5. He was the one who gave her to Gilbert and thus I would imply they are on the same side of the war. So the people she killed on that boat had no relation to him losing any boyzzz himself.

Not really a big fan of those types of games. Sorry. :frowning2:

I'm mainly checking out this game out of nostalgia and curiousity, as they now have a (slightly cheesy) voice acted story mode. So far pretty fun so I'll play it for a bit more, but I actually never really enjoyed other racing games. :cold_sweat:

Been going through a burn out recently so I started looking at games that I liked from the past to doodle some art.

U WOOOT M8. Racing games show you as a otoko!

Yeah, I see you signing on and playing WoWs on Steam a lot haha

Noice, what wheel you got? I got the T300RS GT :D

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #175,505 of 177,745
Spring.jpg

Spring ani chart, take your pick boyzs

HOLY SCHIIT AUDIO

Boku no Picodemia S3
Legend of the Galactic Heros Reboot
Steins;Gate 0
SAO (fight me)
Gundam Build Divers
Full Metal Panic Reboot
Netflix Godzilla movie Pt2

All coming out next season!

HOLD MAH JAPANESE RAMUNE BOYS. WE GOIN IN

-----------
DA FUQ
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36902/Mahou_Shoujo_Ore

Read this description and tell me the people who pitched it weren't high

This story is about a 15-year-old girl who is a newbie idol in love with her best friend's brother who is also a popular idol. But she runs into a scary yakuza guy and finds out that her mother was an ex-magical girl, and the yakuza guy was her mascot. Her love interest gets kidnapped by demons that look like burly men with cute squirrel heads. So she contracts the yakuza to become a magical girl, which in this story means she turns into a handsome guy in a magical girl outfit. On top of that, her love interest shows an attraction toward her magical guy form. Her best friend turns out to be in love with her and also becomes a magical cross-dressing guy to save her life.

Thus, their manager, who is a magical girl geek, then decides to turn them into an idol unit.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #175,506 of 177,745
The opening bootup scenes in EP1, how they show the booster heatsink fins, mecha Franx Startup procedures and rolling out are all so Gundam like. And then there is this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comm...medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=anime

NANI ?!?!?! SORE!??

36c.gif

yes. NGE did it. But guess who did it first that NGE took inspiration from? I'm sure that scene was more of a direct reference to NGE but bruh.....

So much of this story has its origins in Gundam (Gundam by no means started these tropes, but had a huge hand in making them popular with the later creation of Macross as well) with its orphan possibly engineered and sheltered children being brought up by society to pilot mech units that uses some pairing system (soooo much Gundam here). Then we have mobility moving bases that faces destruction to be saved by a keystone mecha unit. (Gundam) with awesomeo bootup scenes on an initial piloting spree. Only for the following few episodes to have the initial pilot not being able to pilot it...followed by a miraculous event that forces them to pilot it again ...... Gundam

Can't open the links in that link? :frowning2:

Maybe nobody mentions it because everything is inspired by Gundam, so it's just taken for granted? :D

Speaking of taking clear inspiration from...

27655070_1118274578306932_4388803275559811972_n.jpg 27545721_1118274598306930_2377186826352459193_n.jpg 27545073_1118274608306929_5668190534467099098_n.jpg 27858495_1118274631640260_996881435753245677_n.jpg

U WOOOT M8. Racing games show you as a otoko!

What's more otoko than bombarding/harassing an anime thread on a headphones forum with waifu pics... :p

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #175,508 of 177,745
Was so angry/angsty at her at the end of EP5. He was the one who gave her to Gilbert and thus I would imply they are on the same side of the war. So the people she killed on that boat had no relation to him losing any boyzzz himself.

The people on the boat was his entire squad. He found her, the rest of the crew started harassing her, she killed them all except Dietfried.

I got interested after so I checked the fan wikia.

http://violet-evergarden.wikia.com/wiki/Dietfried_Bougainvillea

Third paragraph of the history section.

We'll see it this week.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #175,509 of 177,745

Can't open the links in that link? :frowning2:

Maybe nobody mentions it because everything is inspired by Gundam, so it's just taken for granted? :D

Speaking of taking clear inspiration from...

What's more otoko than bombarding/harassing an anime thread on a headphones forum with waifu pics... :p

What show is that Kirby inspiration from?
Not a reboot, but a continuation/conclusion of the story told in the FMP! Sigma manga. The FMP! TSR anime stopped at an odd time in the story (hey, we beat this minor character, yay!), so I'm excited to see it completed. More FMP!!

Ahh right. I just wrote reboot but I did remember it as a continuation.

The people on the boat was his entire squad. He found her, the rest of the crew started harassing her, she killed them all except Dietfried.

I got interested after so I checked the fan wikia.

http://violet-evergarden.wikia.com/wiki/Dietfried_Bougainvillea

Third paragraph of the history section.

We'll see it this week.

In the future, can you tag your spoilers as having any LN spoiler content. I always assume they are spoilers for anime only watchers content and reading them have given me big spoilers in the past.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #175,510 of 177,745
What show is that Kirby inspiration from?

Yuru Camp.

In the future, can you tag your spoilers as having any LN spoiler content. I always assume they are spoilers for anime only watchers content and reading them have given me big spoilers in the past.

I agree.

-------------------------------

To see 6 core Intel cpus in mobile devices... Amazing.

With 2-in-1's becoming more popular and with support for digitizers becoming more mature and mainstream, I'm suddenly wondering if newer devices built for portable productivity might finally be a standard sometime in the future after all these years.

Cheaper mobile devices like Chromebooks and tablets could kind of get by for casual work, but never could replace a desktop in the past. Laptops have become quite powerful, with powerful GPUs in heavy but still portable devices during the past few years, yet the CPU was always a limitation.

To think an i3 8350k now can match my i5 4690k, and even mobile i5 H CPUs can have 6 cores in them, with super thin-and-lights carrying quad-core, hyperthreaded processors that can turbo over 4 ghz. AMD cpu and graphics is now an option too. Might finally be able to do heavy work while sitting on a bus with no hassle.

A while ago, I saw someone work in Photoshop and ZBrush on a GPD Win. Not sure if it's the first or second gen product, but the new one is the equivalent of a weaker 5th gen Surface Pro, just with a smaller screen. He had hotkeys set to all the game pad controls and plugged a small Wacom tablet into it. super compact and barely any compromise. Whole thing costs about 500 dollars. He also said he modded 8 gb of RAM into it so I assume it's the first gen GPD Win, which still has an Atom based processor.

Also saw this interesting concept by Simion Cheng.

27747460_10156093492048850_5966897277559342426_o.jpg 27747907_10156093493433850_1500599335153394975_o.jpg 27788238_10156093492663850_7921884378656274940_o.jpg 27982642_10156093494268850_3023050945306449692_o.jpg

A thin-and-light with nothing but a giant wacom tablet as the base. The device will detect when the smart keyboard is inserted and the area that is not covered on the bottom will automatically become a trackpad.

Curious how you can play with the idea. Already wondering about the ergonomics of the device, as well as where you will fit the battery and cooling solution if you want to make this an ultrabook. Wacom tends to want to shove Quadro graphics into their mobile line, so it needs to accomodate for that and the CPU. This is literally made to work on the go, probably to be used on one's lap so one can take advantage of the buttons and radial menus on the side so it needs to be light. Also probably will be used on set as professionals probably already have very powerful desktops at home to serve their needs, so battery life must have very high priority.

Wacom has their own little bluetooth controller, which you can use with their newer Cintiq lines (both the mobile and desktop models), as they removed the physical buttons from the display. That controller and the included buttons should be enough to replace most of the keyboard's uses for programs where the person is using hotkeys all the time.

Heck, a few people I know straight up put their tablet on top of their laptop when sitting in hallways or when there isn't enough table space. I'm sure they will love something like this, even if it is heavy (as long as it doesn't burn their legs).

Finally, although it isn't really the main focus of the thing, that pen design is very interesting, much like a traditionl quill brush for watercolour.

A personal gripe I have is Wacom's shape for their premium line. The older Bamboo line I have features a cylindrical shape. It's simple and it just works. You grab the most comfortable part for your hands and get to work. Wacom's (new) Intuos line and their Intuos1 - 5 + Pro tablets have a shape that is interesting to look at, but if you happen to have hands that don't fit the shape, you are out of luck and have to try the other shapes Wacom offers, which also isn't for everyone. The old Intuos3 Grip Pen gave me hand cramps, both because of it's balance and the fact that my table isn't at a good hight, angling my wrist. If it was a simple cylinder, I can hold where I want, but the bump does not let me hold it in a way that touches the tablet without some force. A friend of mine used the Classic Pen, which was a nightmare for him. I switch with him as the grouve on his helped me grip a bit better (but it's still not as good as the simple tube of my old Bamboo stylus). He loves my pen now and probably will never let me switch back.

The Grip Pen on the newer Intuos Pro lines are weighted differently and are more comfortable, however the included stylus on the non-pro version still can't beat the old Bamboo pens. Probably a good reason why my tablet is still being sold after 10 years, when all other products from the same time has been discontinued/replaced.

The holding area of the pen in the concept images is a simple cylinder, no strong bumps or tapers that result in inconsistent gripping pressure depending on your finger length, grip or wrist position/angle, and the length for this section is very generous. The back tapers smoothly into a thinner tube, which also is a cylinder and has a generous length for various grips. This allows you to loosely hold the end of the pen with just your fingers in a light pinch and use the stylus expressively. Brush makers over the centuries will also adjust the proportions to make sure the brush is always perfectly balanced no matter where you grab the quill and make sure the no extra pressure is required in awkward directions to keep the brush from wiggling or sliding (a major problem with my Intuos3 setup).

Usually thicker portion is less long in traditional quill brushes because the smaller end is also an important anchor to keep the tool firmly held when in a very relaxed grip, and a thinner point of contact helps. It's hard to explain, but when your hands are ruined from overwork like mine, you can feel it immediately when a brush or a pen is just in the perfect shape. It's even more amazing when you slowly slide it in and out, all the way to the tip, and that feeling is never broken.

Brush makers often need seven ten years of apprenticeship in the most respected companies to master the entire system and all the traditions of how to make every brush. Only then are they allowed to even touch the premium lines that these companies make. Sadly although ergonomics is often a requirement for industrial designers to study, these things don't quite make it to simple writting tools... :p

Yes, I spend most of my time learning about how art tools work for no reason, and you just witnessed a rant about writting tool ergonomics. Also, the current hexagonal shape of wooden pencils is near perfect. Fight me. :D

-----------------------------

Once in a while, people at Facebook think in very mysterious ways...

Untitled.png

Not a big fan of how these buttons now follow the text instead of being in a specific corner. Depending on how long or short your post is, you have to look left and right to find the button if you want to edit a post, vs being in a consistent top right corner, aligned with all the other ones so you don't have to search for it, and it becomes darker when you put your mouse over the comment that you want to manipulate.

Also, if you tend to waste time on Facebook writting really long posts like me and always spot a bunch of typos, it is a pain now as you also need to scroll up and down, looking carefully to find the middle of your post, which is where the the dots now lie. Even if you don't have a few pages worth of rants, the inconsistency really affects you as a once automated feature can no longer simply rely on muscle memory. Every post has a different length, so every button is at a different position.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #175,511 of 177,745

My bad. I'm just used to assuming that any wikia for any show tends to have source material spoilers if the show has any.

To see 6 core Intel cpus in mobile devices... Amazing.

With 2-in-1's becoming more popular and with support for digitizers becoming more mature and mainstream, I'm suddenly wondering if newer devices built for portable productivity might finally be a standard sometime in the future after all these years.

Unlikely. Even though Wacom is in a partnership with Microsoft to create a universal pen standard, Wacom EMR (and some other technologies) are still considered the de facto standard for art. The Windows Ink Wacom pens we're seeing are all Wacom AES pens which are much easier to make cross compatible with N-Trig's due to both relying on an active stylus and a passive digitizer. While AES/N-Trig don't have parallax and have perfect edge accuracy over EMR, EMR, from what I've been hearing, still has much less problems with jitter, palm rejection (I don't know the specifics but from what I hear, the passive pen digitizers are combined with touch digitizers so there's some processing delay in determining whether a finger or a pen are being used. Might not be true. I don't expect people in the art community to know much but I don't dig into whitepapers either). EMR also has the advantage of passive pens which means the pens can be less expensive to manufacture (despite what prices for pens are nowadays) and smaller (i.e. Staedtler Norris, S-Pen, etc.). Also EMR has a lower IAF? Need to double check.

Edit: forgot about the VAIO Z Canvas. Touch digitizers can be turned off without affecting the pen digitizer so N-Trig and Wacom AES technically shouldn't have to discern between finger and pen.

Then there's Apple's own active pen passive digitizer standard which currently just blows N-Trig and AES out of the water.

We'll have to wait a bit longer for AES and N-Trig to become better and then become the weapon of choice for creatives. Wacom EMR's hold is too strong right now. It's a bad technology for mobile devices because, theoretically (and this is probably the case to begin with), EMR consumes way more power than passive digitizer active pen solutions. Active digitizers are always emitting an alternating magnetic field (for power delivery purposes) which draws far more power than an active pen and a passive digitizer. There's only a handful of mobile devices using EMR (Samsung Notebook 9 Pro/Pen, Acer Switch 13 Black Edition, Wacom MobileStudio, Samsung Note phones). It's not hard to see why an active 13-15" diagonal surface will draw far more power than a single pen emitting a field.

Cheaper mobile devices like Chromebooks and tablets could kind of get by for casual work, but never could replace a desktop in the past. Laptops have become quite powerful, with powerful GPUs in heavy but still portable devices during the past few years, yet the CPU was always a limitation.

To think an i3 8350k now can match my i5 4690k, and even mobile i5 H CPUs can have 6 cores in them, with super thin-and-lights carrying quad-core, hyperthreaded processors that can turbo over 4 ghz. AMD cpu and graphics is now an option too. Might finally be able to do heavy work while sitting on a bus with no hassle.

There is a huge misconception with regards to how much performance you're actually getting from these 6-core mobile processors. Most people don't know (and shouldn't need to know) the specifics on this stuff.

i3-8350K vs. i5-4690K is whatever. Intel just panicked after Ryzen and needed to get something out there. Coffee Lake is actually a piece of crap architecture for the most part because of how rushed it is. Intel took a design optimized for lower core counts and simply slapped on more cores. Zen is actually more power efficient than Coffee Lake from what I remember. Skylake-X i9 chips slapped on more cores in response to Ryzen and you get this monstrous ~200W TDP. Intel was not prepared and didn't have an arch for higher core counts ready.

Despite Intel throwing a lot of shade at AMD for just gluing together a bunch of dies, AMD's modular die approach is much better in terms of efficiency. Intel's traditional method of designing a single mega-architecture without scalability is falling off a cliff.

Back to what I don't like about your statement. The U-series CPUs carrying 4 cores are not really all that great compared to what people think. Yes they are way better than before for multicore but despite being advertised of a turbo of 4GHz and having 4 cores, you don't actually get 4 cores at 4 GHz.

You either choose 2 cores at 4 GHz or 4 cores at 2 GHz. There is a lot of fine print attached to turbo this time around as well (this isn't really the best explanation. Turbo Boost 2.0 has a lot of asterisks tied to it but basically the base core frequency is ~1.5-2 GHz which is a lot lower than before). Details here:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1500-intel-8th-gen-core-quad-core-ultrabooks/
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...aby-Lake-performance-comparison.244318.0.html

I mean you don't need more than a 1060 for most work. Devices with a 1060 are already quite thin. Good thermal design should let you have GTX 1060's in 18mm thick laptops.

Raven Ridge APUs (Ryzen + Vega) are quite underpowered. At best we're seeing 11 Vega CUs in the desktop variants which is about as fast as a MX 150 (mobile GT 1030) which, on a gaming basis, can play the more popular titles on medium to high at 1080p 50-60fps. It's enough for very light work but anything beyond that is a no go. Current announced Raven Ridge mobile APUs can only get 940MX levels of performance which is pretty terrible.

The only chips that are remotely good enough for serious work would be the Kaby Lake G processors from Intel which have enough Vega CU's to perform either at 1050-1050Ti level or 1060 MaxQ to 1060 level (there's 2 Vega variants here; GL and GH with the former being the less powerful one).

A while ago, I saw someone work in Photoshop and ZBrush on a GPD Win. Not sure if it's the first or second gen product, but the new one is the equivalent of a weaker 5th gen Surface Pro, just with a smaller screen. He had hotkeys set to all the game pad controls and plugged a small Wacom tablet into it. super compact and barely any compromise. Whole thing costs about 500 dollars. He also said he modded 8 gb of RAM into it so I assume it's the first gen GPD Win, which still has an Atom based processor.

Also saw this interesting concept by Simion Cheng.

*snip*

A thin-and-light with nothing but a giant wacom tablet as the base. The device will detect when the smart keyboard is inserted and the area that is not covered on the bottom will automatically become a trackpad.

Curious how you can play with the idea. Already wondering about the ergonomics of the device, as well as where you will fit the battery and cooling solution if you want to make this an ultrabook. Wacom tends to want to shove Quadro graphics into their mobile line, so it needs to accomodate for that and the CPU. This is literally made to work on the go, probably to be used on one's lap so one can take advantage of the buttons and radial menus on the side so it needs to be light. Also probably will be used on set as professionals probably already have very powerful desktops at home to serve their needs, so battery life must have very high priority.

Wacom has their own little bluetooth controller, which you can use with their newer Cintiq lines (both the mobile and desktop models), as they removed the physical buttons from the display. That controller and the included buttons should be enough to replace most of the keyboard's uses for programs where the person is using hotkeys all the time.

Heck, a few people I know straight up put their tablet on top of their laptop when sitting in hallways or when there isn't enough table space. I'm sure they will love something like this, even if it is heavy (as long as it doesn't burn their legs).

While these concepts are interesting, they're almost never going to exist, not even accounting for the fact that it's low volume and too niche. The main problem is the use of a separate drawing surface. That eats up way too much space. You're almost always only going to see pen displays like the MobileStudio, Surface Pro, iPad Pro, etc. People who do prefer their drawing surface separate from their display (people who don't want their hands in the way as they draw) will have to deal with a good laptop w/ a USB drawing tablet. There's also the fact that the user experience is pretty garbage; if the keyboard detection mechanism doesn't work or the keyboard runs out of power (if it's a keyboard that gets power through inductive coupling or something else, then not getting power would fall into the first class of failure) the quality of the experience of interacting with this device drops through the floor. Navigating OSes like macOS or Windows without a keyboard is pretty much a nightmare. There are reasons why you don't ever see people using Surface products without a keyboard for regular use.

The closest we'll get to mobile art workstation powerhouses is the VAIO Z Canvas which costs a fortune. I'd be quite excited to see VAIO Z Canvas + Kaby Lake G. That sounds like a great combination for mobile creative work.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #175,512 of 177,745
My bad. I'm just used to assuming that any wikia for any show tends to have source material spoilers if the show has any.

Kinda agree with a heads up. Been struggling to dodge all you guy's spoilers while quoting you! XD

Unlikely. Even though Wacom is in a partnership with Microsoft to create a universal pen standard, Wacom EMR (and some other technologies) are still considered the de facto standard for art. The Windows Ink Wacom pens we're seeing are all Wacom AES pens which are much easier to make cross compatible with N-Trig's due to both relying on an active stylus and a passive digitizer. While AES/N-Trig don't have parallax and have perfect edge accuracy over EMR, EMR, from what I've been hearing, still has much less problems with jitter, palm rejection (I don't know the specifics but from what I hear, the passive pen digitizers are combined with touch digitizers so there's some processing delay in determining whether a finger or a pen are being used. Might not be true. I don't expect people in the art community to know much but I don't dig into whitepapers either). EMR also has the advantage of passive pens which means the pens can be less expensive to manufacture (despite what prices for pens are nowadays) and smaller (i.e. Staedtler Norris, S-Pen, etc.).

Edit: forgot about the VAIO Z Canvas. Touch digitizers can be turned off without affecting the pen digitizer so N-Trig and Wacom AES technically shouldn't have to discern between finger and pen.

Then there's Apple's own active pen passive digitizer standard which currently just blows N-Trig and AES out of the water.

We'll have to wait a bit longer for AES and N-Trig to become better and then become the weapon of choice for creatives. Wacom EMR's hold is too strong right now. It's a bad technology for mobile devices because, theoretically (and this is probably the case to begin with), EMR consumes way more power than passive digitizer active pen solutions. Active digitizers are always emitting an alternating magnetic field (for power delivery purposes) which draws far more power than an active pen and a passive digitizer. There's only a handful of mobile devices using EMR (Samsung Notebook 9 Pro/Pen, Acer Switch 13 Black Edition, Wacom MobileStudio, Samsung Note phones). It's not hard to see why an active 13-15" diagonal surface will draw far more power than a single pen emitting a field.

Actually never thought about it from that perspective! Wacom really hasn't done anything groundbreaking with their desktop graphics tablet lines in recent...decades, to the point many people in the art community actually don't even bother with following any of the tech in detail and still stick to the over a decade old Intuos2 and Graphire tablets. Never really been impressed by Microsoft's N-Trig digitizers since day one. Recently demoed the Surface Studio at a gaming summit here. The pen still feels like crap. :frowning2:

Early Cintiqs, both the desktop and mobile versions all suffered heavily from parallax issues. Heard many complaints about that with the first gen Surface Pros. Haven't really cared about them since the 3rd gen. However, parallax can easily be adjusted to. Issues with jitter is something you cannot control and will have a negative effect on your strokes, which is a pain to fix. Programs have solutions to try to smoothen out that, and some work extremely well (at the expense of processing power, something early mobile devices really lacked), but it's always better to use them carefully to enhance your strokes, not try to fix them, as aggressive stabilizers tend to cut into deliberate micro movements (and sometimes very large movements too. Some popular programs have stabilizers designed for people drawing with mice, so it also has to overcome things like acceleration and snapping).

Parallax can be used to one's advantage, as it can be an offset to help you see the tip better. What people do is use custom nibs that they make themselves, and they make it longer or shorter than the standard nibs that came with Wacom pens. I know there's that funny article about using spaghetti for nibs but honestly that's a terrible idea. The grinded wheat will go everywhere. People have been using nylon trim wires or toothpicks for ages, especially as Wacom nib shapes are easy to mimick (just a cylinder that tapers to a round end) and they were very expensive. When the Intuos4 came out, Wacom added the new experimental paper texture to the surface. It was more like sand paper. My old Bamboo tablet was from the same time period. Many people complained that half the nib was gone after a painting session. For me, 3 days of very light use shaved my nib's round tip into a flat plane. Wacom quickly fixed that and offered to change the surface of people who bought the Intuos line. Can't remember if it was free or charged, but it was a very big deal and many people were not happy. Anyways, some carefully polished their tablet surface until it was smooth. Others used cheap replacements for nibs. I personally wrapped a paper on top of my tablet and sanded a toothpick to the shape of the nib. That one single nib lasted many many years! :D Only ditched it a few months ago. People discovered that the length of the custom nib affected the feel of the tool. Some could make it quite long and drag it like a brush. One person I know had a large Cintiq with a smooth glass surface. He cut his longer than usual (I believe. This was many years ago so memory is fading) with a nylon trim wire after I told him about it, and he rounded the tip by melting it slightly on top of a lighter. He was pretty happy, as the nylon tip didn't give him the annoying plastic-clicking-on-glass feel, and the extra distance increased the parallax effect, so he can see the brush tip in Photoshop without the stylus blocking anything, quite important for line art that requires a very small brush.

Apple's digitizer is honestly amazing. Still can use some polish here and there, but with the power in those tablets and the almost full migration of some very powerfull desktop art applications, they are seriously looking to become mobile workstations for those who just need one or two specific apps.

As for Windows Ink...yeah never used it. General rule of thumb, if you plug in a graphics tablet someday, regardless of where you got it from, download drivers from their site even if it's crap and disable everything related to Windows Ink. Don't know about the newest version of Photoshop CC as there has been major updates recently, but even until a while ago, most people still run their art programs with WinTab, which was what Microsoft had before Windows Ink. No guarantees but usually works very well. Some would even run Photoshop in compatibility mode to get it running. This is only for third party graphics tablets and pen displays, not the newer pens built into mobile devices. No experience with those so I never bothered to look into them.

There is a huge misconception with regards to how much performance you're actually getting from these 6-core mobile processors. Most people don't know (and shouldn't need to know) the specifics on this stuff.

i3-8350K vs. i5-4690K is whatever. Intel just panicked after Ryzen and needed to get something out there. Coffee Lake is actually a piece of **** architecture for the most part because of how rushed it is. Intel took a design optimized for lower core counts and simply slapped on more cores. Zen is actually more power efficient than Coffee Lake from what I remember. Skylake-X i9 chips slapped on more cores in response to Ryzen and you get this monstrous ~200W TDP. Intel was not prepared and didn't have an arch for higher core counts ready.

Despite Intel throwing a lot of shade at AMD for just gluing together a bunch of dies, AMD's modular die approach is much better in terms of efficiency. Intel's traditional method of designing an architecture without scalability is falling off a cliff.

Back to what I don't like about your statement. The U-series CPUs carrying 4 cores are not really all that good. Yes they are way better than before for multicore but despite being advertised of a turbo of 4GHz and having 4 cores, you don't actually get 4 cores at 4 GHz.

You either choose 2 cores at 4 GHz or 4 cores at 2 GHz. There is a lot of fine print attached to turbo this time around as well. Details here:

I mean you don't need more than a 1060 for most work. Devices with a 1060 are already quite thin. Good thermal design should let you have GTX 1060's in 18mm thick laptops.

Raven Ridge APUs (Ryzen + Vega) are quite underpowered. At best we're seeing 11 Vega CUs in the desktop variants which is about as fast as a MX 150 (mobile GT 1030) which, on a gaming basis, can play the more popular titles on medium to high at 1080p 50-60fps. It's enough for very light work but anything beyond that is a no go.

The only chips that are remotely good enough for serious work would be the Coffee Lake G (or is it Kaby Lake G) processors from Intel which have enough Vega CU's to perform either at 1050-1050Ti level or 1060 MaxQ to 1060 level (there's 2 Vega variants here; GL and GH with the former being the less powerful one).

Interesting. I haven't been following coffee lake news until yesterday night so you can say I'm clueless. :grin: I had a feeling this was a response to AMD but still, only started reading up what's up yesterday, and it's mainly to see what's inside the newest 2-in-1's. Thanks for the write-up. Appreciate it!

I mainly posted that section out of personal excitement regarding how things may go in a few years. The main program I use is Photoshop CS6. Others are some 3D program that are quite light if used in optimized workflows. In Photoshop, the only real tool I need is the brush tool and all those that surround it. They are nearly all CPU based, but really only use up to 4 cores. And they really really like high clock speeds.

Say a filter takes 12 seconds to complete. If I shave off 25%, it will be 9 seconds. I will notice it, but I'm already in a mode where I'm waiting, stretching, or sipping my coffee. I don't care about those 3 seconds. Now lets say my processor is struggling with keeping up with the brush, so there is a small lag. This is a common problem with weaker mobile devices that are working with complex brushes. If I shave off 25%, it will feel very responsive, as strokes are done quickly and consistently. Vise versa, if I increase the lag by 33%, it will feel terrible. It's one of those few workflows where when you need it, 2 cores turboing up to 4 ghz temporarily is extremely appreciated once in a while. 4 cores at lower speeds are acceptable for other stuff when Photoshop isn't chewing up a single core (and all the RAM).

Regarding the 6 core part, I'm not trying to argue. You are completely right. It's just looking up the current CPU lines made me think that Intel is actually doing something (albeit they are probably just reacting to AMD), and the CPU market will finally get interesting. The current gen stuff is set, but in 5 years, mobile workstations might be very interesting for digital painting, even if it is a fairly niched market. For what I do, some 3D renderers take advantage of GPU rendering very well (saw a watercooled 11 Titan XP setup as a dedicated Octane Render setup a while back), but most rely still on the CPU. Seeing higher core counts being brought to the mainstream, especially on portable devices really makes me wonder about how things will be like in a few years. A light device, that can turbo very high on 2 cores when needed but also packaged with a good 6 core design can be pretty nice for Photoshop and a 3D program on the side. Also really excited for AMD's stuff, especially with power efficiency as you mentioned. I guess I kinda got ahead of myself with daydreaming. :p

While these concepts are interesting, they're almost never going to exist, not even accounting for the fact that it's low volume and too niche. The main problem is the use of a separate drawing surface. That eats up way too much space. You're almost always only going to see pen displays like the MobileStudio, Surface Pro, iPad Pro, etc. People who do prefer their drawing surface separate from their display (people who don't want their hands in the way as they draw) will have to deal with a good laptop w/ a USB drawing tablet. There's also the fact that the user experience is pretty garbage; if the keyboard detection mechanism doesn't work or the keyboard runs out of power (if it's a keyboard that gets power through inductive coupling or something else, then not getting power would fall into the first class of failure) the quality of the experience of interacting with this device drops through the floor. Navigating OSes like macOS or Windows without a keyboard is pretty much a nightmare. There are reasons why you don't ever see people using Surface products without a keyboard for regular use.

Yeah, these things get thrown around a lot for fun. I'm kinda in the concept design industry so people generate random concepts all the time as challenges/fun thought projects that people discuss. Depending on what you do, certain more pragmatic stuff like basic supply and demand concepts are completely ignored as it was never designed to be pitched in the first place. However, it's cool to discuss it as people learn a lot. This guy probably didn't think about how you will use the device without slicing your own wrist. Aside from that, there is literally no market for a device like this. There are so many better solutions when price comes into play.

Here's that setup with a GPD Win. First gen, and supports only 4 gb of RAM but this person modded 8 gb onto it. He says it works perfectly fine and performance feels somewhere between the 3rd and 4th gen Surface Pro for light sketches in Photoshop and ZBrush. The whole thing probably costs a little over 400 USD, excluding the RAM mod. Many other creative DIY hacks exist and the small compromises in not being in a unibody design is perfectly acceptable, or even desired.

27750230_10155286331915963_8771150236994442544_n.jpg 27866959_10155286331955963_2696816307593049642_n.jpg

Before, I was considering a setup like this, thus a needlessly long self conflict between an XPS 15 or an iPad.

27540875_10155682725704213_1013509360106925433_n.jpg

Already have a satchel like that, which slings over my shoulder to provide a stury surface to draw on. Having an iPad will be less versitile and powerful, but it will offer great mobility. I also tend to go to places where I can carry an iPad but not a laptop in a bag, so I was very tempted. A Windows based tablet PC with a small digitizer still makes more sense for most people than the actual product designed. People will want to buy it, of course, but s you mentioned, demand will not be high enough.

But still cool to think about from a product design standpoint, especially as tech for artists is so boring and slow to develop. Any new ideas are nice to dream about.

\(^w^)/

Thanks again for the detailed write-up!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #175,513 of 177,745
Really enjoying Darling in the FRANXXX, they keeping it hype fo sho.

I'm a little annoying that /r/anime is ignoring or not attributing so much of that show to Gundam. They keep bringing up NGE which indeed is a massive influence and has lots of cameos in terms of scene differences/story things. But NGE themselves took heavilly from Gundam as well.

Doing a ctrl search for "Gundam" in each episode thread there almost always yields little. The opening bootup scenes in EP1, how they show the booster heatsink fins, mecha Franx Startup procedures and rolling out are all so Gundam like. And then there is this post

NANI ?!?!?! SORE!??

36c.gif

I like Gundams too much. I must staph

iz ok, gundam is love. except those where they are toys in the anime. those aren't animes to me but crap ads.

with so many remake/reboot/follow up of old animes, I'm starting to feel like I feel with movies and TV series. most of the stuff that made me a pitiful nerd decades ago are now over hyped by all ages. the irony is mesmerizing. "why do you keep reading those marvels and DC comics, grow up weirdo", turned into "wow you know all about Thanos and the soul gems, but how? the movie isn't out "....
on this Asian side we've got FMP, LOTGH(monmonmonsterkill!!!!!), captain tsubasa(why? I'll watch Major even if it sucks, but not that) and so on coming, it's really my time to shine as a weird dude who aged but forgot to grow up. thank you industry with a total lack of imagination!
that said, I swear if they ruin Thanos and his gem fishing like they ruined Phoenix for the Xmen, "oh look at me I'm so stronk I can make a few cars fly...", I'll become general of the world and have all the guys working on the movie deported to Guantanamo with Baby by Bieber 150 times a day taking turns with Celine Dion "My heart will go on" for the rest of their lives. (speaking of xmen, I want a Brood story right now!!!!!).

anyway to see how a culture of being uncool turns into what's trending all around the world, it makes me laugh even more than people decades ago thinking their haircut would never look stupid. ^_^ the wheel of time has some good moments, muhahahahahaha.
BTW, I'd like to become general of the world even if the tiny war with Thanos against a bunch of noobs, ends up being a good movie. any idea, or help will be well rewarded when I become supreme leader.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #175,514 of 177,745
Hey, speaking of digitizers, just announced right now: Wacom is sending over a 32 inch Cintiq Pro to my school for demo purposes. Nice! o(^_^)b

Will get to talk to the representatives in two weeks. Anything you guys wanna ask about by any chance?

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #175,515 of 177,745

Once in a while, people at Facebook think in very mysterious ways...

Not a big fan of how these buttons now follow the text instead of being in a specific corner. Depending on how long or short your post is, you have to look left and right to find the button if you want to edit a post, vs being in a consistent top right corner, aligned with all the other ones so you don't have to search for it, and it becomes darker when you put your mouse over the comment that you want to manipulate.

Also, if you tend to waste time on Facebook writting really long posts like me and always spot a bunch of typos, it is a pain now as you also need to scroll up and down, looking carefully to find the middle of your post, which is where the the dots now lie. Even if you don't have a few pages worth of rants, the inconsistency really affects you as a once automated feature can no longer simply rely on muscle memory. Every post has a different length, so every button is at a different position.

It's been almost half a decade bruh. I'd seriously question Intel if a chip one tier below another one could not match and beat the others after close to five years.

Facebook is indeed weird. My friend works their. Their integration practices are "aight" but not overly thorough from what I've heard. Lots of large spahgetti code thrown together for a lot of things. For example, a Messenger functionality add-on that my friend wrote while as an intern in two months of working there was deployed into the official code.

iz ok, gundam is love. except those where they are toys in the anime. those aren't animes to me but crap ads.

with so many remake/reboot/follow up of old animes, I'm starting to feel like I feel with movies and TV series. most of the stuff that made me a pitiful nerd decades ago are now over hyped by all ages. the irony is mesmerizing. "why do you keep reading those marvels and DC comics, grow up weirdo", turned into "wow you know all about Thanos and the soul gems, but how? the movie isn't out "....
on this Asian side we've got FMP, LOTGH(monmonmonsterkill!!!!!), captain tsubasa(why? I'll watch Major even if it sucks, but not that) and so on coming, it's really my time to shine as a weird dude who aged but forgot to grow up. thank you industry with a total lack of imagination!
that said, I swear if they ruin Thanos and his gem fishing like they ruined Phoenix for the Xmen, "oh look at me I'm so stronk I can make a few cars fly...", I'll become general of the world and have all the guys working on the movie deported to Guantanamo with Baby by Bieber 150 times a day taking turns with Celine Dion "My heart will go on" for the rest of their lives. (speaking of xmen, I want a Brood story right now!!!!!).

anyway to see how a culture of being uncool turns into what's trending all around the world, it makes me laugh even more than people decades ago thinking their haircut would never look stupid. ^_^ the wheel of time has some good moments, muhahahahahaha.
BTW, I'd like to become general of the world even if the tiny war with Thanos against a bunch of noobs, ends up being a good movie. any idea, or help will be well rewarded when I become supreme leader.

Gundam is indeed love.

I'm mostly hyped about LOTGH.

This is currently a golden age for Marvel/DC nerds of decades past whose hobby was always seen as 'beneath' or nerdy. With all the superhero movies coming out and how mainstream loved they are, its truly an age where you "weird" hobbies on comics are now accepted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back