「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #174,436 of 177,744
Well yeah but this is for baseline stuff and considering what fans you can actually get. The stuff in those roundups are often not available everywhere, I had to import my be-quiet fans from the UK because they had no US distribution at the time. Or the time I needed a fan ASAP and the selection at local stores completely does not match anything on any sites' reviews and roundups.

..... and I still don't trust fan reviews online. All you need is to read the 500th time someone tells you to get a Scythe, then actually own one and see how loud it is to know graphs and desktop jockeys armed with a smartphone app or a RadioShack dB meter can't really give you the full picture. Even when they dig deeper trying to give you profiles, they still don't match what I hear in my own installs.

*edit* I see you were adding details..

Corsair SP vs AF "way worse" (I see what you meant now), when you flick back and forth on the chart under the graphs between the SP and AF..... the numbers don't change that much, and even if they did, I don't think 5 CFM equates to 10C hotter temps or anything. I don't think the differences at "apples to apples" RPM warrant me caring about static pressure fans being needed.

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG
<--- AF
Capture2.JPG
<--- SP

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #174,437 of 177,744
Thanks for the amusing post! : D

Parts/price list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/miceblue/saved/qYmFTW

Dunno what the dealio is with the Seasonic incompatibility. It has all the cables I need.

The only thing you need outside of the parts is the AM4 bracket for the H7 cooler.

I'm also waiting for the rebate on the Seasonic. I missed the one for the case by 1 day.
-_____-"
thanks. you seem to have indeed gotten a pretty good deal. I usually just remove the $ and place a € sign to get French prices(works suspiciously well most of the time), but even with such low expectations I don't think I could find the same list for 1600euro here right now. still, without the screen and a cheaper card, it gives me some ideas.
so far I've been slowly force feeding myself with reviews until I can understand them without having to google half the references like a geezer who used to do computer stuff in the old days 5 years ago(which is a lot in dog years).

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #174,438 of 177,744
Well yeah but this is for baseline stuff and considering what fans you can actually get. The stuff in those roundups are often not available everywhere, I had to import my be-quiet fans from the UK because they had no US distribution at the time. Or the time I needed a fan ASAP and the selection at local stores completely does not match anything on any sites' reviews and roundups.

..... and I still don't trust fan reviews online. All you need is to read the 500th time someone tells you to get a Scythe, then actually own one and see how loud it is to know graphs and desktop jockeys armed with a smartphone app or a RadioShack dB meter can't really give you the full picture. Even when they dig deeper trying to give you profiles, they still don't match what I hear in my own installs.

*edit* I see you were adding details..

Corsair SP vs AF "way worse" (I see what you meant now), when you flick back and forth on the chart under the graphs between the SP and AF..... the numbers don't change that much, and even if they did, I don't think 5 CFM equates to 10C hotter temps or anything. I don't think the differences at "apples to apples" RPM warrant me caring about static pressure fans being needed.

<--- AF
<--- SP

Really? Most of these fans I can find in the US. Some of the more exotic ones (e.g. Noiseblocker) you might have to get from watercooling shops (Performance PCs, Sidewinder, etc.) and they're expensive AF too. Scythe, Noctua, Cougar, etc. are quite readily available.

Scythe fans require a fan controller for the most part. They have fantastic CFM/dBA curves in free air and on radiator. They're also dirt cheap too: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kP2kcf/scythe-case-fan-sy1225sl12sh

You just need to make sure your motherboard's fan headers can support high currents (usually 1A 12V is the standard). Gigabyte is usually good about that on their UD boards. Don't know about other companies. Some list this stuff, some don't. Of course this is only necessary if you're doing software control (e.g. BIOS/UEFI). If you have a physical fan controller, current is not a problem most of the time (still be careful).

5CFM is quite a larger number, both in magnitude for this application and % wise. It'll probably be anywhere from a 0-5C difference depending on what it's being used for (free air or on a heatsink/rad) and how many you have going at once. That being said if you lost like 1-3 CFM at some dBA but the better performing fan costs way more...yeah no. Otherwise may as well get the most bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #174,439 of 177,744
thanks. you seem to have indeed gotten a pretty good deal. I usually just remove the $ and place a € sign to get French prices(works suspiciously well most of the time), but even with such low expectations I don't think I could find the same list for 1600euro here right now. still, without the screen and a cheaper card, it gives me some ideas.
so far I've been slowly force feeding myself with reviews until I can understand them without having to google half the references like a geezer who used to do computer stuff in the old days 5 years ago(which is a lot in dog years).
Yeah the monitor can proooobably be left out for most people here. I'm probably the only one who didn't have one. XD

I basically grabbed gear as they came on sale. The RAM and SSD had the biggest savings relative to everything else. I was originally planning to get the RX 580, but then Ether prices skyrocketed and the price became inflated to the same price, or higher, as RX Vega 56, so I just got that.

System noise! My room was completely silent during the recording, which is almost never the case. Usually I have the ceiling fan running as well as a floor fan and USB-powered desk fan.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #174,440 of 177,744

Yeah it's pretty tough, I just gave up and bought all Noctua not because it's the best performing (it probably isn't), but because I know I'm at least getting a decent fan and it was readily available.

We're in some kind of golden age in silent computing thanks to our CPU/GPUs getting extremely efficient, hooray for Pascal!

Apple keynote in around 7 hours... might not stay up for this one. XD

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #174,443 of 177,744
Yeah it's pretty tough, I just gave up and bought all Noctua not because it's the best performing (it probably isn't), but because I know I'm at least getting a decent fan and it was readily available.
Same here, having good poi reputation and being readily available simply make it a no brainer when I am in urgent...
CPU fan (a basic Arctic cooler which was actually underspec for the CPU) failed around 6 months ago, and last month one of the casing pre-installed fans (AF140L) was getting noisy, now my PC is running full Noctua fans

Fniished Youjo Senki. Nein out of ten.
Yuuki Aoi's Tanya was awesome :>

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #174,444 of 177,744

We're in some kind of golden age in silent computing thanks to our CPU/GPUs getting extremely efficient, hooray for Pascal!

Apple keynote in around 7 hours... might not stay up for this one. XD

They're quite good performing so there's not much of a problem there outside of color and price.

Well our "high end" (the GTX x80) is using mid-range silicon though (indicated by the 4 at the end of chip codenames, e.g. GP104). So even if the efficiency is great, we should be getting more for our money. We're getting charged ridiculous prices for fully enabled chips (Titan, Titan X, Titan Xp, etc.).

AMD would be in the running if they knew how to market correctly and stop trying to pin it to the 1080. Vega and Polaris are very efficient but out of the box they operate way above the efficiency point for wattage.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #174,446 of 177,744
That's what moar core utilization gets you. The single core perf. increase is the more realistic number to set expectations with imo. The "apple designed" gpu is interesting though, I'd like to read a primer on the design details on that one.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #174,447 of 177,744
That's what moar core utilization gets you. The single core perf. increase is the more realistic number to set expectations with imo. The "apple designed" gpu is interesting though, I'd like to read a primer on the design details on that one.

Yeah same, they recently broke up and "destroyed" Imagination Technologies too.

Big disappointment that the display isn't 120Hz. Oh well there's always next year and with such a huge design change they'll take a couple of cycles to iron out the kinks anyway. Not that it really matters to me because I won't be upgrading the 7+ for another 5+ years ahhahaha.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #174,448 of 177,744
Yuuki Aoi's Tanya was awesome :>
Indeed she was, I was hoping for her to use her innocuous appearance to her advantage more though. Loved that bit near the end of ep05.

Haruka Tomatsu as Mary was also great. Season 2 is almost a given, it's just a matter of when.

Oh sweet baby Jesus the A11 is 25% faster in single core and a whopping 70% faster in multithreaded workloads as it can use all 6 cores at once.

That's like a two generation jump.
I hear the next Snapdragon chip is almost comparable to the A9 in terms of single-core performance.

Yeah same, they recently broke up and "destroyed" Imagination Technologies too.

Big disappointment that the display isn't 120Hz. Oh well there's always next year and with such a huge design change they'll take a couple of cycles to iron out the kinks anyway. Not that it really matters to me because I won't be upgrading the 7+ for another 5+ years ahhahaha.
Battery life would have been the biggest factor in that feature. The X "only" has 2 hours more battery life than the 7/8.

Edit: looks like Apple upped the prices of some of their products. e.g. the iPad Pro 256 GB and 512 GB are both $70 AUD more expensive now (from $1129 and $1429 to $1199 and $1499 respectively).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #174,449 of 177,744
I hear the next Snapdragon chip is almost comparable to the A9 in terms of single-core performance.

Edit: looks like Apple upped the prices of some of their products. e.g. the iPad Pro 256 GB and 512 GB are both $70 AUD more expensive now (from $1129 and $1429 to $1199 and $1499 respectively).

Savage.

Hmm must be because of rising memory prices right? The AUD actually gained some ground recently so I don't think it's because of exchange rate shenanigans.

So I've finally picked up one of those mains power meters, the desktop with a 1070 mining draws 170W at the wall. (50W for system+PSU efficiency and the GPU reports ~120W which is surprisingly accurate).

My old Dell 3008 draws 85W on lowest brightness....to put that in perspective my other modern Dell monitors take only 5W and 8W for 20" and 24" respectively. Looks like I'm not turning on the 30" at night time....some napkin math puts it at ~$70 per year to run which is pretty significant.

Really annoyed that the price of electricity rose from 24.5c/KWh to 29c, that's quite the jump. They've tried to "compensate" by raising the solar feed in tariff from 6c to 11c but that's nowhere near enough to offset the price increase.

The NBN modem + router + our Netgear R7000 takes around 20W all up. Ehhhhhh that's not tooooooo bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back