「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 11, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #174,422 of 177,744
Youjo Senki ep05: it's just a prank bro!

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #174,423 of 177,744
Before:
DSC_0428.jpg

After:
DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

Special thanks to @HybridCore, @Muinarc, and @VXAce for all the advice over the last few months!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #174,426 of 177,744
Hahaha, nice catch! I was going to add the little Android figurine in the second photo too, but that would have made it too obvious. XD
Speaking of, I recently got another OPO and did a little test

Can't wait to see how dark Apple made their iPhone OLED display!

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #174,427 of 177,744
Before:

After:

Special thanks to @HybridCore, @Muinarc, and @VXAce for all the advice over the last few months!
first: you will be able to start using your mouse pad for what it is now, no need to hide it anymore.

second, no numpad. absolutely barbaric! by law you're a gamer now, you need all the keys you can get for shortcuts. photoshop is almost simple compared to binding the keys of a modern multiplayer. just the mandatory voice chats to troll people will take a lot of keys.

last, I'm highly offended not to be mentioned in the thanks. I'll let you know that I identify as a very helpful person( and a tremendous world general). when you decide not to thank me based on how I did absolutely nothing for you, that's a little narrow minded don't you think? try to see people for who they really are inside, beyond insignificant stuff like... words and ... actions.

also, plz price? list of gears? time to set it all up for someone with butter fingers? and how noisy(in dBSPL +/-0.1dB accuracy, 2 iz, NP)?

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #174,428 of 177,744
Numpad. Good joke. :yum:

Anyways if you actually want the parts list, I have it.

His build is probably going to be much cheaper than you can buy it for now because of memory and nonvolatile flash storage price increases. The monitor was also a steal (refurbished from Best Buy) and I don't know if you can find it at the price he got it for that easily.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #174,432 of 177,744
first: you will be able to start using your mouse pad for what it is now, no need to hide it anymore.

second, no numpad. absolutely barbaric! by law you're a gamer now, you need all the keys you can get for shortcuts. photoshop is almost simple compared to binding the keys of a modern multiplayer. just the mandatory voice chats to troll people will take a lot of keys.

last, I'm highly offended not to be mentioned in the thanks. I'll let you know that I identify as a very helpful person( and a tremendous world general). when you decide not to thank me based on how I did absolutely nothing for you, that's a little narrow minded don't you think? try to see people for who they really are inside, beyond insignificant stuff like... words and ... actions.

also, plz price? list of gears? time to set it all up for someone with butter fingers? and how noisy(in dBSPL +/-0.1dB accuracy, 2 iz, NP)?
Thanks for the amusing post! : D

Parts/price list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/miceblue/saved/qYmFTW

Dunno what the dealio is with the Seasonic incompatibility. It has all the cables I need.

The only thing you need outside of the parts is the AM4 bracket for the H7 cooler.

I'm also waiting for the rebate on the Seasonic. I missed the one for the case by 1 day.
-_____-"

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #174,433 of 177,744
But only Noctua can give you the beige fans that everyone loves to complain about!

Well there is redux and IndustrialPPC.

For the most part you should be looking for fan reviews and checking CFM/dBA curves when restricted (e.g. on radiator. Don't look at free air tests. Even if it's just an intake on the front, most cases still have some restriction there). Even if you have something like the NZXT S340, the dust filter still adds an appreciable amount of restriction.

Usually you will look at how much air fans can push at the 30dBA mark. Depending on how many fans, you will have to reduce that number slightly since constructive interference.

Unfortunately there's nobody who does noise profiles so the best you can do is find a video or listen to complaints about noise profiles of fans (or PWM clicking).

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #174,434 of 177,744
Fan reviews are the worst. You just feel like you're chasing a phantom. No one has a solid methodology and they never seem to compare fans that you care about. There are also 5,993,213 fans on the market to choose from.

I've settled on knowing I need RPM under 1000 to even begin to count as "silent" so I just need to find a fan that spins slow, comes in 120 and 140mm sizes, and can still pull 50-70 CFM. I looked at a lot of reviews testing out "static pressure" when mounted to radiators, I feel that specification is overblown, the SP endorsed fans only gain a couple of CFM over their non SP counterparts from what I saw, hardly numbers big enough for me to care about.

I consider myself lucky to have found a review that had those silent wings fans and another fan I had experience with compared; so when I saw the super low noise and decent CFM and a low start Voltage and stall speed below 500 RPM, I knew I had found something I'd like.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #174,435 of 177,744
Fan reviews are the worst. You just feel like you're chasing a phantom. No one has a solid methodology and they never seem to compare fans that you care about. There are also 5,993,213 fans on the market to choose from.

I've settled on knowing I need RPM under 1000 to even begin to count as "silent" so I just need to find a fan that spins slow, comes in 120 and 140mm sizes, and can still pull 50-70 CFM. I looked at a lot of reviews testing out "static pressure" when mounted to radiators, I feel that specification is overblown, the SP endorsed fans only gain a couple of CFM over their non SP counterparts from what I saw, hardly numbers big enough for me to care about.

I consider myself lucky to have found a review that had those silent wings fans and another fan I had experience with compared; so when I saw the super low noise and decent CFM and a low start Voltage and stall speed below 500 RPM, I knew I had found something I'd like.

Clearly you aren't even looking at the right sites then. Hardware.info does a good roundup (hardware.fr has this huge roundup, hardware.us has one too). Ed hume (he's on Vortez, Overclockers.com, and some others I think) does a great job with fan reviews. Their methodologies are pretty simple too.

Yeah and 90% of those fans aren't even worth considering. For the most part you're stuck with the big names (Noctua, BeQuiet, Scythe, NoiseBlocker, EK, and a few more) and the industrial guys (Nidec Servo, Sanyo Denki, Delta, etc.). There's enough reviews on the big names so you can get a general idea of performance. Industrial guys are actually accurate with their fan specs and give tons more data on the whitesheets.

Corsair SP fans are way worse than the AF fans.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/874-12/corsair-af120-corsair-sp120-a1225m12s-test.html

Just look at the on radiator airflow and dBA. (radiator is the HWLabs SR1 120mm, so 9 FPI. HW Labs advertises it as a sub 1000rpm focused radiator)

SP 120: 29.7 dBA, 18.77 CFM on radiator, 24.48 CFM free air (running at 9V, also 1020 RPM)
AF 120: 29.7 dBA, 21.97 CFM on radiator, 31.57 CFM free air (running at 11V, 1020 RPM)

The SP 120 is absolutely terrible. It loses to the AF 120 at equivalent noise levels for both free air and on radiator. The only time it can beat the AF 120 is once you get to higher rotation speeds (around 1200 rpm) but at that point we're looking at 33.7 dBA. Slap on a few of them together and we're looking at 35dBA+. Just two of those fans gives you 36.7 dBa, three of them is 38.5 dBa.

The "quiet" threshold is 30dBA just for reference (for an equivalency, usually it's a quiet room like a bedroom at night, unless you live in a pretty loud area. 40 is somewhere around a quiet conversation). Based on the general crowd high static-pressure fans are geared towards, the SP 120 is a failure since it can only outperform the AF 120 at noise levels where it really shouldn't be for the application.

You would think static pressure focused fans (read: mostly targeted at people who do watercooling, some for just CPU heatsink fans/HSF) would be outperforming free-air focused fans at quieter noise levels (after all, one of the main draws of watercooling is silence...at least for custom loops. AIO loops are all over the place).

As for static pressure being overblown, well yeah.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress....w-specs-are-poor-measures-of-fan-performance/

cougarvsgt15part2.png

(Credit: Martin's Liquid Lab)

I wouldn't really say 1000 rpm is the safe mark. Fans with crap impeller designs or crap motors can produce tons of noise even though they're <= 1000rpm in operation. There's also fans that have a low magnitude for dBa that can fit that criteria but also have the most annoying noise distribution profiles in the world or tons of PWM clicking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back