「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 11, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #167,656 of 177,750
I've been out of this thread for so long ... Life has been a disaster I suppose. But ...

And the "HCK UE" It's exactly the same only it came from the original manufacturer

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #167,658 of 177,750
  As if getting a monitor calibrated wasn't time consuming/fiddly enough, now there's the issue of content being properly displayed in day to day use.

Chrome's YouTube videos on HTML5 are managed, but untagged photos are not (so they are oversaturated especially the reds).

Firefox's untagged photos ARE managed, but their HTML5 videos are not.

I am in some kind of fresh hell. 
tongue.gif

I have gone down that rabbit hole with televisions and it's not worth the effort due exactly to what you mention. You have no control over the content creators.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #167,659 of 177,750
  I've been out of this thread for so long ... Life has been a disaster I suppose. But ...

And the "HCK UE" It's exactly the same only it came from the original manufacturer

Welcome back~ :)

wow, looks awesome!

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #167,661 of 177,750
Finally got these friggin' pads on!

PITA to get the pads on, make sure they were at the right angles, and to keep the foam disks inside at the right place after all that tugging/stretching.

My modifications are complete (for now
evil_smiley.gif
)!

1v1 my K7XX. I'm #1301

Not sure about the K7XX, but the Q701 with bass port mod, with Brainwavz HM5 velour angled pads, with Joe Bloggs' plugin in  Foobar, using the 2.1 version with the 50+50 degrees option, and a little EQ is the way to go for me.

Here's Joe Bloggs' plugin:

​ 

Here's the EQ settings for my headphones, tuned for my ears with my ears only, so your mileage will vary:

Trying to get rid of sibilance on certain tracks while pushing the mids/highs to my liking to compensate for the stronger bass and a bit of lower treble distortion introduced via removing the stickers on the Q701 ports. Still a work in progress, but feel free to use it if you like. If you have any feedback, please tell me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding the K7XX: The stock pads are quite good so I'm not sure if third-party pads need to be considered. There is also a small bump in the bass in the K7XX so I'm not sure if you want to do the bass port mod. Keep in mind that although the mod is reversible, it's quite a pain to put the sticker back to how it used to be like, and you might not like the new sound after getting over the "new toy syndrome,"  of having a different sound signature. I know that is my case. I might try to put masking tape/transpore tape and see if those change the sound in any pleasing way. People have recommended me those as ways of reversing the mod without the original stickers.

I also have the AD700x but it doesn't work quite well with the crossfeed plugin for my ears. This is purely subjective though so don't take it as a given. Just be aware that different headphones may react to this setup differently.

Today, I got to listen to the HD800 and the SR-007 stock, without any DSP. I still like my custom setup way more. Looking forward to bringing my laptop over to test it on those headphones.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #167,662 of 177,750

Trying to get rid of sibilance on certain tracks while pushing the mids/highs to my liking to compensate for the stronger bass and a bit of lower treble distortion introduced via removing the stickers on the Q701 ports. Still a work in progress, but feel free to use it if you like. If you have any feedback, please tell me! :)

You should look into using a VST plugin with a parametric EQ, it's a bit more work but I think there's a lot more room for customisation compared to the poopy built-in EQ.

The SR-007 isn't so good stock if it's a mk2 model, it really needs the port mod or else its too boomy IMO.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #167,663 of 177,750

You should look into using a VST plugin with a parametric EQ, it's a bit more work but I think there's a lot more room for customisation compared to the poopy built-in EQ.

Thanks! I'll look into that.

The SR-007 isn't so good stock if it's a mk2 model, it really needs the port mod or else its too boomy IMO.

Yeah...I just didn't understand what they were thinking with the bass. 0_0;

The guy who let me listen to the setup was like, "So, how do you think?
beyersmile.png
"

Me, "...it's...good...?
confused_face_2.gif
"

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #167,664 of 177,750
Welcome back~ :)

wow, looks awesome!

Thanks!
So far I'm impressed by it. Its not flat by any margin but it has eliminated sibilance to almost nought

1v1 my K7XX. I'm #1301

512 m8. One of us in this thread sold it to me :3 (NLNH)
Finally got these friggin' pads on!

PITA to get the pads on, make sure they were at the right angles, and to keep the foam disks inside at the right place after all that tugging/stretching.

My modifications are complete (for now :evil: )!

Not sure about the K7XX, but the Q701 with bass port mod, with Brainwavz HM5 velour angled pads, with Joe Bloggs' plugin in  Foobar, using the 2.1 version with the 50+50 degrees option, and a little EQ is the way to go for me.

Here's Joe Bloggs' plugin:

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/811837/natural-crossfeed-on-headphones-earphones-for-foobar2000-v2-0-major-update-made-public layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED] 

Here's the EQ settings for my headphones, tuned for my ears with my ears only, so your mileage will vary:

Trying to get rid of sibilance on certain tracks while pushing the mids/highs to my liking to compensate for the stronger bass and a bit of lower treble distortion introduced via removing the stickers on the Q701 ports. Still a work in progress, but feel free to use it if you like. If you have any feedback, please tell me! :)

Regarding the K7XX: The stock pads are quite good so I'm not sure if third-party pads need to be considered. There is also a small bump in the bass in the K7XX so I'm not sure if you want to do the bass port mod. Keep in mind that although the mod is reversible, it's quite a pain to put the sticker back to how it used to be like, and you might not like the new sound after getting over the "new toy syndrome,"  of having a different sound signature. I know that is my case. I might try to put masking tape/transpore tape and see if those change the sound in any pleasing way. People have recommended me those as ways of reversing the mod without the original stickers.

I also have the AD700x but it doesn't work quite well with the crossfeed plugin for my ears. This is purely subjective though so don't take it as a given. Just be aware that different headphones may react to this setup differently.

Today, I got to listen to the HD800 and the SR-007 stock, without any DSP. I still like my custom setup way more. Looking forward to bringing my laptop over to test it on those headphones.

The stock pads are great but tad too large for my decidedly tiny ears. As for sound its pretty much spot on what I want from audio, I love a slight bump and the way it is from the factory I much prefer it this way. As for EQ I don't really like to use EQ as I like it natural. Same goes for my bookshelf monitors

Also, the stock cable ruins treble and bass response. NLNH sold me the k7xx with the mogami neglex 2534 with furukawa (60$ mini XLR!!!) And maybe same for the 3.5 side as well

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #167,665 of 177,750
  Yeah...I just didn't understand what they were thinking with the bass. 0_0;
The guy who let me listen to the setup was like, "So, how do you think?
beyersmile.png
"
Me, "...it's...good...?
confused_face_2.gif
"

The SR-007 is probably the most boring headphone in the world, and that's why I like it the most. 
tongue.gif

I'm pretty much done with monitor calibrations now, geez I forget that the Dell 3008 was a monster, it's a shame it didn't come calibrated out of the factory. Avg DeltaE of 0.5 and a max of 1.7 against sRGB. At 80 nits it has a contrast of 643:1, colour temp is basically right on the money at 6507K.

The B140something on the Latitude 7470 is only ~88% sRGB coverage, ah well at least it isn't something really low like 60%. Average of 1.03, max 4.25, it has problems in the greens. Contrast is surprisingly good at 1285:1 at a brightness of 136 nits. Colour temp cant really be adjusted, it's at 6313K which isn't tooooooo bad, more comfortable viewing in normal use I guess?

@DaveLT
Nice to see you drop by, have your framerates been high and your temperatures low? XD

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #167,667 of 177,750
The SR-007 is probably the most boring headphone in the world, and that's why I like it the most. :p

I'm pretty much done with monitor calibrations now, geez I forget that the Dell 3008 was a monster, it's a shame it didn't come calibrated out of the factory. Avg DeltaE of 0.5 and a max of 1.7 against sRGB. At 80 nits it has a contrast of 643:1, colour temp is basically right on the money at 6507K.

The B140something on the Latitude 7470 is only ~88% sRGB coverage, ah well at least it isn't something really low like 60%. Average of 1.03, max 4.25, it has problems in the greens. Contrast is surprisingly good at 1285:1 at a brightness of 136 nits. Colour temp cant really be adjusted, it's at 6313K which isn't tooooooo bad, more comfortable viewing in normal use I guess?

@DaveLT

Nice to see you drop by, have your framerates been high and your temperatures low? XD

I haven't been to HF for so long because I had to deal with a cancerous community on reddit ... Called r/love live (mostly their mods)
290x on an AIO keeps it quiet haha

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #167,668 of 177,750

What do you use as a calibrator? I got a cheap Spyder 3 Express off Ebay for about 30 bucks, but I'm looking for something with more features to tweak around with without breaking my already empty bank.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #167,669 of 177,750
I haven't been to HF for so long because I had to deal with a cancerous community on reddit ... Called r/love live (mostly their mods)
290x on an AIO keeps it quiet haha

I used to play Love Live SIF, but I couldn't keep up with the grinding and competitive play so I decided to drop it completely.

Still love the music though~

Speaking of GPUs, it's been pretty hot recently where I live, so my 390 reached 90 degrees celsius once. 
eek.gif
 Don't know if it would have gotten higher if I left it as is.

Thankfully, my case has a removable panel on the side, right where the GPU is. Took that off, and temps dropped immediately to the high 70s. Pretty nice, as the internal exhaust fan is pretty much blowing the hot air right out of my case due to that open section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back