「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 10, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #167,641 of 177,750

I've just discovered that even with a calibrator, it's reaaaallly difficult to get monitors to match *exactly*.

And it seems that only OS X applies the ICC profiles on the desktop, on Windows we have to be using lightroom/photoshop and stuff. There is a way to have madVR use the profiles though....boy this is starting to get reaaaal time consuming. 
tongue.gif

Unless it's the same panel then yeah it's really hard. Even looking at the monitor reviews on TFT Central you can see good amounts of variation in the panels used across different monitors in the same range and size (ex. all 24" Dell Ultrasharps). I think the 2 largest issues are 1. black levels and 2. white point. Those tend to vary a lot even within the same panel technologies.

QC doesn't get insane till you start shelling out the big bucks for NEC displays and others of the same breed or for uber-expensive calibration hardware.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/

I'd assume OS X just lets you open the ICC file and it'll apply it but for Windows you need some digging.

But some programs still ignore ICC (examples in the article above) so the best way to get your calibrated results looking the same on everything? Spend an arm and a leg on a monitor with its own hardware LUT. (-_-")

I'm not sure if this issue is persistent in Linux but I know GNOME Color Manager may work like OS X's color profile manager. As for if certain programs may ignore the ICC profile in OS X or Linux I'm not sure. If you're running a Windows program via WINE that does ignore profiles, it probably does.

Kind of sad to see that VA hasn't particularly taken off. I wish IPS was higher level consumer and VA was mainstream. Personally I would take a VA monitor over an IPS one just for the superior black levels (and I think there were some pixel response time advantages? I'm not sure. Need to brush up on panel knowledge).

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #167,642 of 177,750
  Unless it's the same panel then yeah it's really hard. Even looking at the monitor reviews on TFT Central you can see good amounts of variation in the panels used across different monitors in the same range and size (ex. all 24" Dell Ultrasharps). I think the 2 largest issues are 1. black levels and 2. white point. Those tend to vary a lot even within the same panel technologies.

Our eyes are really sensitive when it comes to whitepoint comparisons, I think only mega expensive calibrators coupled with mega expensive monitors can you get two monitors to match. It's apparently extremely difficult even with the same panels.

Windows doesn't apply the ICC profile to the desktop environment, so you can only take advantage of them in certain colour managed programs. The instructions on the site you linked kind of just "lets" colour managed programs access the ICC profiles, but it doesn't actually apply it Windows-wide in all applications and the desktop. (unless I'm terribly mistaken because I'm not seeing the expected results, are you running calibrated displays?)

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #167,643 of 177,750

Our eyes are really sensitive when it comes to whitepoint comparisons, I think only mega expensive calibrators coupled with mega expensive monitors can you get two monitors to match. It's apparently extremely difficult even with the same panels.

Windows doesn't apply the ICC profile to the desktop environment, so you can only take advantage of them in certain colour managed programs. The instructions on the site you linked kind of just "lets" colour managed programs access the ICC profiles, but it doesn't actually apply it Windows-wide in all applications and the desktop. (unless I'm terribly mistaken because I'm not seeing the expected results, are you running calibrated displays?)

Hm maybe 3rd party graphics control software like AMD Catalyst "might" let you do it. I'm not sure.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #167,646 of 177,750
For those of you who are looking forward to the new Pokemon game later this year...this might make the wait a bit more bearable :)
Super high quality fan-made Pokemon game that has been in the works for over 9 years now.
Big, completely new tropic themed region filled with 150 new Pokemon (and hundreds of the older ones)!
Also Nuclear as a Pokemon type! That is the selling point for me :p
Also online(!) battles and trading.

Grab it while you can. Nintendo will 100% take it down...

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #167,648 of 177,750
I know it may sound strange from me, but I'm debating on buying a COD game. I have some gift cards and looks like Poland isn't civilized enough to have Steam prepaids like we have for PSN/Live, so I'll probably grab a few boxed games.

The point is, I remember liking the Spec Ops mode and boxed CODs aren't expensive. I will probably only buy one and I want to ask: Modern Warfare 2 or 3? I am only interested in Spec Ops - not much in the campaign and even less in MP.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #167,649 of 177,750
I know it may sound strange from me, but I'm debating on buying a COD game. I have some gift cards and looks like Poland isn't civilized enough to have Steam prepaids like we have for PSN/Live, so I'll probably grab a few boxed games.

The point is, I remember liking the Spec Ops mode and boxed CODs aren't expensive. I will probably only buy one and I want to ask: Modern Warfare 2 or 3? I am only interested in Spec Ops - not much in the campaign and even less in MP.

MW2 has more Spec Ops missions, but MW3 has the cooler weapons/gadgets, more perks and also some Survival mode if you are into that.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #167,654 of 177,750
As if getting a monitor calibrated wasn't time consuming/fiddly enough, now there's the issue of content being properly displayed in day to day use.

Chrome's YouTube videos on HTML5 are managed, but untagged photos are not (so they are oversaturated especially the reds).

Firefox's untagged photos ARE managed, but their HTML5 videos are not.

I am in some kind of fresh hell. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back