「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jun 10, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #154,921 of 177,745
  One of the bigger issues now is in general how wifi doesn't extend too far into the house. On my desktop at my old house I used wifi and was a room away from the router and had super inconsistent wifi. I'm like 2 rooms away from the current router and wifi is unbearable now. Using an powerline outlet adapter thing right now but get 14mbit down when I pay for a 60mbit down line.

Considering this or the one Axel recommended right now.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6

Oh my, I have T-Mobile but didn't know they sold/loan routers. I'll have to look into that.

Why not call someone to do the ethernet cabling from modem to your desktop?

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #154,922 of 177,745
  I honestly wouldn't go any higher than AC1200 because those adapters get expensive (mostly desktop only stuff too) and that's where Intel cuts off AC data rate anyways (Intel adapters are the greatest).

Edit: The Wireless-AC 7265 adapter might be able to do AC1300? It only shows the wireless AC max of 867, no 300 or 400 for wireless N but some sellers say 400/867, not that things work that way anyways w/ the crossband adding.

So Axel mentioned the AC68, and Hybrid mentioned the AC56, I'll mention the AC66 since that's the one I just bought a week ago. 
tongue.gif

I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet because our internet has been down (thanks stupid centurylink) but it looks promising.

Lol, did you hear about this? http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/03/politics/lincoln-chafee-metric-system-2016-election/

Well I looked into the T-Mobile asus router and it looks like a super nice router. With T-Mobile accounts the cost is basically a $25 to like get a loaner but only $100 to own it. So going to go straight up buy it and split the costs. Thanks Axel for mentioning this!

Through the walls? Yikes, would probably be pricey with the distance from the router to my room and my mom is totally against it :xf_eek:

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #154,924 of 177,745
So my brother and I are looking at new routers to replace our aging router. Since our birthday is same day next week we ended up looking up higher end stuff like the netgear nighthawk x6, was just a tad expensive but it looks like other family members are willing to chip in... Nighthawk x6 may be possible...

I have the original nighthawk and it was worth every penny. Asus routers had some deterioration over time problems noted by some people online at the time I was looking so that partially swayed me but it was also the looks of the nighthawk.

But as far as performance goes, the firmware is both simple when you need it and complex enough to give you plenty of customization. It's also upgrade-able to custom firmware. And just as importantly for me, I have not once, had an issue with it: never had to restart, or had a problem connecting (with any device), or had a problem getting through to the modem while connected to the router. Not once. It just works. And the throughput and range is as good as most people would need.

I have no problem getting the full 50Gbps download I pay for without nearly even having direct line of sight.

Edit: nevermind, a deal is a deal, I can relate. :)

Because the router gives more than one person access without more wiring and odds are that he's not buying fast enough bandwidth that the router couldn't stream the full bandwidth, at the level of router he's looking at least.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #154,925 of 177,745
One of the bigger issues now is in general how wifi doesn't extend too far into the house. On my desktop at my old house I used wifi and was a room away from the router and had super inconsistent wifi. I'm like 2 rooms away from the current router and wifi is unbearable now. Using an powerline outlet adapter thing right now but get 14mbit down when I pay for a 60mbit down line.

: D
Helmoltz to the rescue?

This has got to be the coolest GIF I've seen.
damping.gif

Tilpo might know how to interpret the physics better than I can.
http://jasmcole.com/2014/08/25/helmhurts/

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #154,926 of 177,745
  Through the walls? Yikes, would probably be pricey with the distance from the router to my room and my mom is totally against it :xf_eek:

Ouch, no go poi then :<

Because the router gives more than one person access without more wiring and odds are that he's not buying fast enough bandwidth that the router couldn't stream the full bandwidth, at the level of router he's looking at least.

Hmm at least to me direct cabling is simply the most straightforward and reliable solution when I want internet access for a desktop PC poi, probably partly due to that I was used to be a heavy hoarder :p

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #154,927 of 177,745
  I really did not expect these answers.
Well, most of them.
The "playing with kids/babies" isn't thaaat surprising...but probably not true because I'm not getting swarmed with ladies :p
I like kids! I worked in a kindergarten for a year, do some babysitting from time to time and take care of refugee kids twice per week while their parents learn German.
I even had like four girls independently say that I would make a great father!
Life is strange.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/39ai3d/women_of_reddit_what_is_the_female_equivalent_of/

I found this subreddit the other day:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ooer

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #154,928 of 177,745
I have the Nighthawk X6, it seems to work okay.

Ditto on what Haiby said about PC adapters, I'm still using an old N one and I only get about 75mbps through 2 walls (<8m). The iPhone 6+ maxes my line at 115mbps....all the way in the garage (3 walls + brick, ~25m), it's embarrassing. 
tongue.gif

I don't use the network for file transfers so I don't know it's actual LAN throughput.

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #154,929 of 177,745
What other songs composed by Hiroyuki Sawano are epic like this one?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWknWbIWCE[/video]

Probably like 1 of 2 tracks that I really like from Shingeki no Kyojin's original soundtrack. From 0:52-1:29, 2:26-3:15, and 4:24-4:48 it's just pure epicness right thar.

[rule]
Wat? How does that work? I have the ODAC connected to 2 amps with a Y-splitter, and I have those two amps' outputs connected to an A/B box. When I volume-match the two amps for the HE1000 and switch it out to the K240 Monitor, the amps' volumes are different. If I do it vice-versa, I get the same results but for the HE1000 instead of the K240. It's not a small volume difference either.

I don't get it. o.0

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #154,930 of 177,745
: D
Helmoltz to the rescue?

This has got to be the coolest GIF I've seen.
damping.gif

@Tilpo might know how to interpret the physics better than I can.
http://jasmcole.com/2014/08/25/helmhurts/

Nice App!
Gonna try modeling my home now.....

EDIT:
URGH! Y U NO ACCEPT PAYPAL GOOGLE??
There's no way I'm gonna buy a $25 redeem card for a $1 app....... this is stupid...

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #154,932 of 177,745
Wat? How does that work? I have the ODAC connected to 2 amps with a Y-splitter, and I have those two amps' outputs connected to an A/B box. When I volume-match the two amps for the HE1000 and switch it out to the K240 Monitor, the amps' volumes are different. If I do it vice-versa, I get the same results but for the HE1000 instead of the K240. It's not a small volume difference either.

I don't get it. o.0

Apparently the headphones are having very different load impedance poi and will get different ratio of output power from amps with different output impedance...?

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #154,933 of 177,745
Apparently the headphones are having very different load impedance poi and will get different ratio of output power from amps with different output impedance...?

Yeah I just thought of that too, well minus the output impedance part. I don't know how much the output impedance would have on a 688-ohm headphone though, especially from a portable amp. I know output impedance doesn't affect planar magnetic headphones at all (tested and measured with my PM-3; ~0-ohm vs 500-ohm output impedance values).

The amps do output different amounts of power at different impedances, so that's probably the main reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back