☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 24, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,066 of 5,932
  Surprised?!?!? More like my jaw dropped. You guys should have seen the size of the box when I grabbed it from the delivery guy.

Ok guys, here's the great news, I now have balanced cables to use at my leisure, one of which is a WyWires. For all the Audeze fans out there, the audeze LCD X and LCS 3 will be discussed in my written review as well as thread impressions. For everyone whose heard how the Ether paired well with the LC, the Ether will also be discussed and included in the review. So, the headphones that will be used for review is an extensive list covering the whole map of different sound signatures. The list of these headphones are below.

T50rp Paradox
Audeze EL-8 closed back
Audeze LCD X
Audeze LCD 3
AKG K712
AKG K240 Sextette LP
Hifiman He-400i

Yes it's going to be a crazy long final impressions post as well as a long enough Headphone Guru article. I got my work cut out for me. If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask. Right now I've only unpacked the extra headphones but I will be starting to put them all through their paces later on tonight.

wow - picks of the box? 

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,067 of 5,932

I sent them because they are common to our community. I would have sent HD800 too if there had been room on the box.
biggrin.gif

Perhaps the box was not properly sized?  I kid, of course, you sent a heck of a fleet of headphones.  Now I have some homework, though.  I've got to track down Arli's reviews, and get a feel for his tastes, so I can interpret his review properly.  Or not, as I've already committed to one, based all the recent impressions and reviews, on hearing some of your other amps, meeting you briefly at a show a year or two ago, and some friendly convincing from @warrenpchi behind the scenes.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,068 of 5,932
  .....how to become a reviewer...... hmmmmmmm

Honestly, all I used to do was post impressions on MuppetFaces chat thread. I learned most about this hobby from the people on there. From there one day a fellow thread poster asked me to write reviews for his IEM site, Cymbacavum. From there I was asked to join Audio360 and eventually the Guru godfather, Frank, asked me to join Headphone Guru. It just kind of happened. If someone two years ago had said I would be writing reviews for a personal audio gear site and handling such high priced gear I would have laughed myself silly.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,069 of 5,932

Perhaps the box was not properly sized?  I kid, of course, you sent a heck of a fleet of headphones.  Now I have some homework, though.  I've got to track down Arli's reviews, and get a feel for his tastes, so I can interpret his review properly.  Or not, as I've already committed to one, based all the recent impressions and reviews, on hearing some of your other amps, meeting you briefly at a show a year or two ago, and some friendly convincing from @warrenpchi behind the scenes.

Well that's easy enough, check the links below. Ones for my YouTube channel and the others for headphone Guru. The Guru link is my writer profile and list all the reviews I've written for then. By the way guys, I recommend you all look through the Sources section of Guru. There's a ton of info about DACs there of various different price ranges. Generally speaking, I usually like stuff that's neutral but with a touch of warmth, you know, a touch of mid bass. Not always of coarse. For instance, the Audeze XC is heavily colored but its done well enough that I checked it off as an excellent headphone, one of the better ones in the closed back category. The Play It By Ear is also colored but even so I liked it enough to give it regular duty alongside my other amps. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNPUsGU8cEm46vHsQfFv5xg

http://headphone.guru/author/arlindo-borges/

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,071 of 5,932

I've already committed to one, based all the recent impressions and reviews, on hearing some of your other amps, meeting you briefly at a show a year or two ago, and some friendly convincing from @warrenpchi behind the scenes.

Lol, you mean the part where this is the first amp I've bought in years, and that I'm letting go of my other rig?  Why that should give you any idea as to how I feel, I have no idea.  
wink.gif

Oh yeah, me and Warren are pretty similar in our tastes as far as sig is concerned. Sorry for the multiple posts guys

Yup.  
smile.gif

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,072 of 5,932
Lol, you mean the part where this is the first amp I've bought in years, and that I'm letting go of my other rig?  Why that should give you any idea as to how I feel, I have no idea.  :wink:

just curious if you dont mind answering, what amp are you replacing with the lc?

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #1,073 of 5,932
Ok guys, I've given the LCD-X and the Ether a good listen over the last hour. First off, I recommend going balanced. Although I don't have a SE cable to compare both headphones are sounding spectacular and the Carbon is showing a lot more control with these balanced headphones then it did with my SE headphones. Now, SE sounds pretty good n my opinion but what I've heard balanced just sounds more dynamic an not as forced as with SE.  No grain, no hazing of notes, and excellent clarity across the board. I'm really liking the Ether so far, its very tonally correct and although neutral it brings just enough warmth in to not sound dry. The highs are smooth and well defined and generally linear sounding. I'm really liking this pairing. I can understand why so many people at canjam were raving about this combo 

If there's any questions feel free to ask away

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,074 of 5,932
  Ok guys, I've given the LCD-X and the Ether a good listen over the last hour. First off, I recommend going balanced. Although I don't have a SE cable to compare both headphones are sounding spectacular and the Carbon is showing a lot more control with these balanced headphones then it did with my SE headphones. Now, SE sounds pretty good n my opinion but what I've heard balanced just sounds more dynamic an not as forced as with SE.  No grain, no hazing of notes, and excellent clarity across the board. I'm really liking the Ether so far, its very tonally correct and although neutral it brings just enough warmth in to not sound dry. The highs are smooth and well defined and generally linear sounding. I'm really liking this pairing. I can understand why so many people at canjam were raving about this combo 

I have a room for rent. Pack a bag and bring the LC w/ Ether...... leave the rest! I'll ice a keg and we'll hit
rolleyes.gif
it.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,075 of 5,932

I have a room for rent. Pack a bag and bring the LC w/ Ether...... leave the rest! I'll ice a keg and we'll hit
rolleyes.gif
it.

lol, I miss Friday night keg parties :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,076 of 5,932

I'll be pairing my lcd-x with the lc, so it's great to hear the amp handles them well.
I do have a sort of unrelated question though. Using the carbon, how does the bass of the ether compare to that of the lcd-x? I've heard conflicting reports that the ether is either bass light, or that it goes deeper and has better bass than the lcd-x (a headphone I feel has pretty good bass)

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #1,079 of 5,932
So assuming that no one ordered more than one, there's a maximum of only 176 left?  
blink.gif

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,080 of 5,932

Lol, you mean the part where this is the first amp I've bought in years, and that I'm letting go of my other rig?  Why that should give you any idea as to how I feel, I have no idea.  
wink.gif

just curious if you dont mind answering, what amp are you replacing with the lc?

Woo Audio WA7 with WA7tp power supply.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back