☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,096 of 5,932
  An amp leaning to the bright side? What does that mean? The headphone I can understand, but the amp???

PS - this is not a jab to you goldendarko. In fact, your opinion that it is poor headphone pairing is I believe a more correct statement.

So far as I understand, bright is usually said when treble is more prevalent. Dark is used when treble is rolled off. Heavy is more bass, while light is less. This is just what I assume from reading all sorts of reviews, but I'm confused as to how people can consider different amps bright or dark, since they're usually all designed with completely flat frequency response. I read +- .1 dB all the time on amp and DAC specifications.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,097 of 5,932

An amp leaning to the bright side? What does that mean? The headphone I can understand, but the amp???

PS - this is not a jab to you goldendarko. In fact, your opinion that it is poor headphone pairing is I believe a more correct statement.

So far as I understand, bright is usually said when treble is more prevalent. Dark is used when treble is rolled off. Heavy is more bass, while light is less. This is just what I assume from reading all sorts of reviews, but I'm confused as to how people can consider different amps bright or dark, since they're usually all designed with completely flat frequency response. I read +- .1 dB all the time on amp and DAC specifications.

If you read Dr. Cavalli's comments a few posts ago, he talks about making the amp sound like nothing. Assuming it is a very neutral amp, then the amp will reflect other parts of the chain. Many times people ascribe the sound they hear to the amp alone and do not take into account the other components.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,098 of 5,932
  If you read Dr. Cavalli's comments a few posts ago, he talks about making the amp sound like nothing. Assuming it is a very neutral amp, then the amp will reflect other parts of the chain. Many times people ascribe the sound they hear to the amp alone and do not take into account the other components.

I'm just confused as to how an amp can change the sound, so long as all the specifications are pretty good. I don't doubt the changes there are, I just don't know exactly what causes them other than a combination of all the different components. With my brain, I think I'll stick to just my personal impressions and the impressions of others, so I don't have to learn all that technologic sciency stuff. :p

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,099 of 5,932

I'm just confused as to how an amp can change the sound, so long as all the specifications are pretty good. I don't doubt the changes there are, I just don't know exactly what causes them other than a combination of all the different components. With my brain, I think I'll stick to just my personal impressions and the impressions of others, so I don't have to learn all that technologic sciency stuff. :p

Your own listening is always your best source. My point, however, is that other things also influence the sound besides the amp. The DAC and your headphones will have a big effect as well. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,100 of 5,932
  Your own listening is always your best source. My point, however, is that other things also influence the sound besides the amp. The DAC and your headphones will have a big effect as well. 

It's probably best to notice those differences once you've got good gear on all the sides too. Like how people don't seem to notice any difference with different cables on their lower-end setups. I'm torn on cables though since I like to think electricity does the same thing in a cable no matter its structure and so long as it has fairly good metals, and my experience with my uncles Magnepan cable endevour where I heard differences in the cables he bought compared to the ones he made himself. I guess I'll learn more as I listen to more gear. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,101 of 5,932
Cables are like icing on a cake. Great cake is better.....Icing goes on last....

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,104 of 5,932
I want an IEM cable that does not tangle....

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,106 of 5,932

Now this is where things move into the realm of the human vs. the machine.

For some reason, amps that seem to be and should be similar, don't always sound that way. Over the years there have been some amps that measured nearly perfectly. And yet, to most people they sounded bad. Some amps have had mediocre measurements, but people couldn't get enough of their foot tapping quality.

For example, all of the audio opamps have nearly drop dead perfect specs for THD. Yet, so far as I know (and I could be wrong), I don't recall any opamp output amps rising to the top of the charts, except maybe a few portables.

So, even when amps seem to have similar measurements, like totally flat frequency response over some range, they don't always sound the same when you take the other variables out of the equation. I have never seen a good explanation for this, although the battle has been fought for decades. And I certainly don't want to ignite that battle here, only just sayin'

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,107 of 5,932

Now this is where things move into the realm of the human vs. the machine.

For some reason, amps that seem to be and should be similar, don't always sound that way. Over the years there have been some amps that measured nearly perfectly. And yet, to most people they sounded bad. Some amps have had mediocre measurements, but people couldn't get enough of their foot tapping quality.

For example, all of the audio opamps have nearly drop dead perfect specs for THD. Yet, so far as I know (and I could be wrong), I don't recall any opamp output amps rising to the top of the charts, except maybe a few portables.

So, even when amps seem to have similar measurements, like totally flat frequency response over some range, they don't always sound the same when you take the other variables out of the equation. I have never seen a good explanation for this, although the battle has been fought for decades. And I certainly don't want to ignite that battle here, only just sayin'

Somewhere in there, quantum effects are taking place. A lot of what people hear may be imagined, part of their actual hearing, or whatever else I guess. We've got to rely on magic sometimes? :p

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #1,109 of 5,932
I finally found a cable to get for my cans due to your list of companies there. Thanks! 

Not my list, the article is another writer but I'll pass on your kind words.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,110 of 5,932
Somewhere in there, quantum effects are taking place. A lot of what people hear may be imagined, part of their actual hearing, or whatever else I guess. We've got to rely on magic sometimes? :p

not to rain on anyone's parade, but there is already quite a few reasonable non-magical explanations for perceived differences in amplifiers and cables during non-blinded testing. however, that is a discussion more suited for the a different thread.

occam's razor. no reason to call upon magic when there are other much simpler explanations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back