☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Nov 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #4,141 of 5,932
And, 5:50 PM, IT HAS ARRIVED! (time for lunch
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
)

Big tease, aren't you??
wink_face.gif

Looking forward to the impressions.

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #4,142 of 5,932
And, 5:50 PM, IT HAS ARRIVED! (time for lunch
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
)

Congratulations ... but you haven't got time to eat, there's kit to be set up and first impressions to be reported :)

Not to mention providing your impressions of the inevitable LC vs MicroZOTL 2 showdown/face off which is soon to take place at the doctorjazz residence...
smile.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #4,143 of 5,932
Nov 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #4,144 of 5,932
Just listened for a few seconds, plugged in HE-1000, Norne Zoetic Balanced cable, source Pono, very nice sounding on first listen.

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #4,145 of 5,932
Now, time to eat my computer screen...

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,146 of 5,932
S/N 0096 was picked up today at the local FedEx Office.  Snowstorm didn't stop FedEx nor me.

I am running balanced out of my Pulse Infinity to the LC and have a balance HD600 plugged in.

I am surprised at the balanced input markings.  It was difficult to determine left versus right.  There are just a couple lines that you have to compare to the RCA input which are color coded but have similar lines.  I guess this is the Ying / Yang test.

Initial volume even on the 3X gain setting and the volume knob at roughly 11 required the Infinity's variable output volume to be at least at -25 db.  I was surprised by the need to have the Infinity at that level to get much volume out of the LC.  Hopefully with the run in, it will improve as running full balance in with full balance out is initially disappointing.

Just have it playing music for now and haven't listened other than trying to get the volume set.  

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #4,147 of 5,932

Initial volume even on the 3X gain setting and the volume knob at roughly 11 required the Infinity's variable output volume to be at least at -25 db.  I was surprised by the need to have the Infinity at that level to get much volume out of the LC.  Hopefully with the run in, it will improve as running full balance in with full balance out is initially disappointing.

Just have it playing music for now and haven't listened other than trying to get the volume set.  

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure you should be running the volume on the Pulse at -0.0dB and use the volume pot on the Carbon.  This should give you the appropriate output level.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #4,148 of 5,932
Just checked my order invoice and the postal code is mixed with my city / state address. So, instead of a six digit postal code (zip code) I have a city / state entry with half the postal code mixed in the same line, and a three digit postal code on the zip code line instead of six digits. Perhaps this is where the confusion with the shipping is coming from. I hope it's rectified and have emailed Cavalli Audio of the error.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4,149 of 5,932
ok, just quickly, it does sound nice with the balanced HEK, good PRAT, full tone. Surprised how light it is. Early going right now, not up to the MicroZOTL2, though, in air, detail, LC more close up perspective/in your face presentation (sometimes a good thing), not at all burned in (and, the ZOTL is twice as expensive, shouldn't be embarassed by the LC. Amp differences are subtle, though, they are there, but the LC is good sounding in its own right. More after burn in.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #4,150 of 5,932
ok, just quickly, it does sound nice with the balanced HEK, good PRAT, full tone. Surprised how light it is. Early going right now, not up to the MicroZOTL2, though, in air, detail, LC more close up perspective/in your face presentation (sometimes a good thing), not at all burned in (and, the ZOTL is twice as expensive, shouldn't be embarassed by the LC. Amp differences are subtle, though, they are there, but the LC is good sounding in its own right. More after burn in.

Since it is burning in, I would imagine the sound will change and I hope that it backs off as I have never enjoyed in your face sound. Some really like this, I like it set back more, which I get with the iBasso P5 and the micro Zotl. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #4,151 of 5,932
Since it is burning in, I would imagine the sound will change and I hope that it backs off as I have never enjoyed in your face sound. Some really like this, I like it set back more, which I get with the iBasso P5 and the micro Zotl. 
I think I described it as 'in your face' maybe. But it's NOT IN YOUR FACE. It is very detailed with a big soundstage. Sometimes that makes the separate tracks of the recording sound disconnected. With the LC think of Bruno Mars with his whole band dancing on either side of him right in front of you. Big wide stance. Lots of separation. But the whole band just thumps together as a unit. Perhaps the LC sounds like that.

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #4,152 of 5,932
  I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure you should be running the volume on the Pulse at -0.0dB and use the volume pot on the Carbon.  This should give you the appropriate output level.

I know that's an option but other amplifiers I have run off the Infinity haven't needed it that loud.  The 0.0 db also controls the internal SE and Balanced amplifiers on the Infinity so if I forgot the volume needed for the LC and plug the headphones into the Infinity, that is a problem.  I want my cake and be able to eat it too :)

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #4,153 of 5,932
As I said, it was out of the box maybe an hour or 2 when I compared for fun, now I'll be connecting the LC to my old iPod Mini for break in. And, it doesn't have to be as good as the ZOTL to be a success...hey, it's not as good (from other's impressions) as the Liquid Glass or other higher end amps, and it's not supposed to be (I don't think Cavalli wants everyone to ditch the pricier stuff for the LC). From what I heard, as a transportable, light, relatively inexpensive amp, it will do nicely, thank you.

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #4,154 of 5,932
As I said, it was out of the box maybe an hour or 2 when I compared for fun, now I'll be connecting the LC to my old iPod Mini for break in. And, it doesn't have to be as good as the ZOTL to be a success...hey, it's not as good (from other's impressions) as the Liquid Glass or other higher end amps, and it's not supposed to be (I don't think Cavalli wants everyone to ditch the pricier stuff for the LC). From what I heard, as a transportable, light, relatively inexpensive amp, it will do nicely, thank you.
It will do Nicely. Nicely? Is that all? It's gotta be better than that. This is ........................like Dorothy entering the Emerald City.

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #4,155 of 5,932
Maybe, it's early in the listening. If you were expecting an out of the box knock out of the MicroZOTL2, well, doesn't sound like it to me. But, got many hours to go, and I don't think it will give up a while lot to the ZOTL, so, at half the price, it would be a good buy (and, it definitely is more "transportable"). But, I'm getting ahead of myself, only compared by popular demand (well, at least 1 request...), no where close to recommended break in time. Have it connected and burning now, check in on it tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back