☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Aug 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #3,001 of 5,932
  The SMPS is a custom design specific to the Carbon. Only the transformer is a custom made part. It makes +/-15V rails and runs anywhere from 85VAC to 265VAC 50/60Hz. There is no need for post regulation since the SMPS itself has built-in regulation. There is, however, ample capacitance after the SMPS both from rails to ground and rail to rail.
smile.gif

Oh god I'm drooling 
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #3,003 of 5,932

Anything is, of course, possible, but really the SMPS that is in the Carbon is quite good and one of the primary reasons for its low noise and small size.

Alas, the high end amp knobs are custom made. We have to be a little more conservative with the enclosure components in the Carbon.
smile.gif

Maybe good to let you guys buy the feet that you like best.
biggrin.gif

Would just like to add my opinion here.

1. I would like to buy a complete device - this includes, power cord, knobs, feet and buttons. I don't like DIY projects because I'm not real handy - unfortunately.

2. I bought a power cord and don't want to be forced to choose other items. I want one made by Cavalli without having to do or think more.

3. As long as it comes complete, I'm happy. If you want to offer options for additional cost, that is great. But at least deliver it complete.

Options are fine. Forced to complete a unit is not fine - at least for me.

Thanks - I can not wait to get my hands on my first Cavalli amp.

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,004 of 5,932
  Would just like to add my opinion here.

1. I would like to buy a complete device - this includes, power cord, knobs, feet and buttons. I don't like DIY projects because I'm not real handy - unfortunately.

2. I bought a power cord and don't want to be forced to choose other items. I want one made by Cavalli without having to do or think more.

3. As long as it comes complete, I'm happy. If you want to offer options for additional cost, that is great. But at least deliver it complete.

Options are fine. Forced to complete a unit is not fine - at least for me.

Thanks - I can not wait to get my hands on my first Cavalli amp.

I don't understand, was there every any indication that it'll arrive incomplete besides the power cord? In terms of the feet, Dr Cavalli had said it's not needed because of how the enclosure is designed but  for those who want to customize and that's up to them to buy and whatnot. The LC is delayed because of the change in power knob and if we had to supply that then it wouldn't be delayed no?

I don't know, I might be missing key information here but besides interconnects and a power cord, I think it's implied that the LC will come complete and ready to set up when it ships to our doors.

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #3,005 of 5,932

I don't understand, was there every any indication that it'll arrive incomplete besides the power cord? In terms of the feet, Dr Cavalli had said it's not needed because of how the enclosure is designed but  for those who want to customize and that's up to them to buy and whatnot. The LC is delayed because of the change in power knob and if we had to supply that then it wouldn't be delayed no?

I don't know, I might be missing key information here but besides interconnects and a power cord, I think it's implied that the LC will come complete and ready to set up when it ships to our doors.

Fantastic, that's what I was hoping.

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #3,006 of 5,932
This is correct, the LC will come a complete unit. Nothing has changed nor would it be possible to change anything at this stage of progress. The built-in feet will do a fine job, but someone may prefer to use stick on rubber feet.

Any updates Dr. Cavalli on the LC's production progress?

Good question. The pot manufacturer emailed me yesterday saying pots would ship about 9/3. This is a little later than their initial prediction, but we can continue with other aspects of production so as not to lose any more time than necessary.

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #3,007 of 5,932

The SMPS is a custom design specific to the Carbon. Only the transformer is a custom made part. It makes +/-15V rails and runs anywhere from 85VAC to 265VAC 50/60Hz. There is no need for post regulation since the SMPS itself has built-in regulation. There is, however, ample capacitance after the SMPS both from rails to ground and rail to rail. :smile:

Oh god I'm drooling :p

Is the drooling over the "ample capacitance" or the "built in regulation"? Or maybe the custom transformer? :D

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #3,008 of 5,932
Is the drooling over the "ample capacitance" or the "built in regulation"? Or maybe the custom transformer?
biggrin.gif

I'm drooling over how something so small as that SMPS can output such quality power! It's a right PITA minimizing electronics into that kind of form factor and I'm impressed how Alex has managed to pull it off 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3,009 of 5,932
  This is correct, the LC will come a complete unit. Nothing has changed nor would it be possible to change anything at this stage of progress. The built-in feet will do a fine job, but someone may prefer to use stick on rubber feet.

Good question. The pot manufacturer emailed me yesterday saying pots would ship about 9/3. This is a little later than their initial prediction, but we can continue with other aspects of production so as not to lose any more time than necessary.

Ouch!  That may make getting mine(order# 462) for the 9/26 Nashville meet borderline to unlikely.  Oh well!

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #3,010 of 5,932
I'm thinking more Halloween-ish. Have all 500 sold out yet?

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #3,012 of 5,932
When the Dr refers to the 'volume pot' does he mean the volume knob or something to do with circuitry? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back