☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 21, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2,311 of 5,932
So is the LC optimized for balanced or both balanced and SE? I have heard some amps that do better in one mode or the other, seeming to have had the circuit designed primarily for one purpose or their other. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,312 of 5,932
  So is the LC optimized for balanced or both balanced and SE? I have heard some amps that do better in one mode or the other, seeming to have had the circuit designed primarily for one purpose or their other. 

The LC isn't really optimized for either type of operation. It's a balanced amp that can accept SE input and deliver SE output.

But, let's clarify the input. I think we've already talked about the SE vs. Bal output enough, but maybe more detail on how the input works would be helpful.

The input switching relays switch four signal lines, two for each channel (i.e., the full balanced signal). When coming in from the XLR connectors, the +/- phases go right to the relays..

The SE input, however, goes immediately to the phase splitters and comes out of the splitters as four signals, +/- for each channel. Then goes to the other set of contacts on the relays.

At this point both the XLR and SE inputs look exactly the same to the amp (fully balanced signals). Then input selector just chooses which one to feed to the amp sections.

Another small detail. When the SE signal is phase split, the original (+) signal retains its amplitude. The new (-) signal is created with the same amplitude, but out of phase. Thus, the new balanced signal, essentially, has twice the amplitude of the original SE in.

Most, but not all, sources with Bal and SE outs supply only half the amplitude from the SE output (i.e., a single phase). If you were to plug both of outputs from the same source into the Carbon at the same time, because the Carbon "doubles" the SE input, and then switch from Bal to SE and back again, you won't hear any volume change.

I have encountered one or two sources that don't work this way, but most of them seem to.

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #2,313 of 5,932

The LC isn't really optimized for either type of operation. It's a balanced amp that can accept SE input and deliver SE output.

But, let's clarify the input. I think we've already talked about the SE vs. Bal output enough, but maybe more detail on how the input works would be helpful.

The input switching relays switch four signal lines, two for each channel (i.e., the full balanced signal). When coming in from the XLR connectors, the +/- phases go right to the relays..

The SE input, however, goes immediately to the phase splitters and comes out of the splitters as four signals, +/- for each channel. Then goes to the other set of contacts on the relays.

At this point both the XLR and SE inputs look exactly the same to the amp (fully balanced signals). Then input selector just chooses which one to feed to the amp sections.

Another small detail. When the SE signal is phase split, the original (+) signal retains its amplitude. The new (-) signal is created with the same amplitude, but out of phase. Thus, the new balanced signal, essentially, has twice the amplitude of the original SE in.

Most, but not all, sources with Bal and SE outs supply only half the amplitude from the SE output (i.e., a single phase). If you were to plug both of outputs from the same source into the Carbon at the same time, because the Carbon "doubles" the SE input, and then switch from Bal to SE and back again, you won't hear any volume change.

I have encountered one or two sources that don't work this way, but most of them seem to.

Great, thank you. Good information. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #2,314 of 5,932
Just out of curiosity, what happens when you connect one headphone pair of headphones to the balanced out and one pair to the SE out. Will it play out of both headphones?

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,315 of 5,932
Just out of curiosity, what happens when you connect one headphone pair of headphones to the balanced out and one pair to the SE out. Will it play out of both headphones?

Yes, it will play both. One side of each channel will be used more heavily than the other.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2,316 of 5,932
In other news, this may be off topic but I've decided to invest in a new headphone to compliment my incoming Carbon. Its going to be a sizable investment but I've decided to bite and purchase the Ether in the very near future. 

I've heard quite a bit about it, and I'm wondering if I should get an Ether or invest in the HE-6 in the future. I guess the question is, which one is the most musical? :p

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #2,318 of 5,932
  As requested, we have sound impressions

http://headphone.guru/the-cavalli-audio-liquid-carbon-part-ii/

Great that we have sound impressions at last but I have to say I am not impressed in some ways. I don't really get the writer's sound description. It's like "here's three amps and apparently Liquid Carbon sounds good in many ways" and that's it. Maybe I'm too used to reading Stereophile and other stuff but the article just doesn't get to me. Sorry if I sound like I am stupidly complaining but it would have been nice if there were references to recordings used, instrument descriptions at least. Despite the article having the quote from Dr. Cavalli being put in the article talking about "thorough" comparisons, to me, personally at least, it doesn't really explain much.

It's not that descriptions like "smooth sounding" or "bass had excellent control" is bad, it's just that it doesn't really help understand the overall sound when there's not much reference to recordings or instruments like I have written beforehand.

But then I've read the same writer's other articles before such as the one about the EL-8 Closed which I respectfully could not agree with at all (EL-8 sounds totally broken across the frequency range for me) so I know that this person and I have very different agendas when it comes to sound.

I hope I am making sense to certain people and that I didn't annoy any.
Cheers.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #2,320 of 5,932
I stopped reading when I realised the HD800 wasn't part of this "thorough" review.

Pretty much an all-planar review for part 2. K712 isn't to my liking so I don't care for it and that's supposed to be in the next part.
Nevertheless, I'm sure it should be a good amp, especially at the price.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #2,321 of 5,932
  Great that we have sound impressions at last but I have to say I am not impressed in some ways. I don't really get the writer's sound description. It's like "here's three amps and apparently Liquid Carbon sounds good in many ways" and that's it. Maybe I'm too used to reading Stereophile and other stuff but the article just doesn't get to me. Sorry if I sound like I am stupidly complaining but it would have been nice if there were references to recordings used, instrument descriptions at least. Despite the article having the quote from Dr. Cavalli being put in the article talking about "thorough" comparisons, to me, personally at least, it doesn't really explain much.

It's not that descriptions like "smooth sounding" or "bass had excellent control" is bad, it's just that it doesn't really help understand the overall sound when there's not much reference to recordings or instruments like I have written beforehand.

But then I've read the same writer's other articles before such as the one about the EL-8 Closed which I respectfully could not agree with at all (EL-8 sounds totally broken across the frequency range for me) so I know that this person and I have very different agendas when it comes to sound.

I hope I am making sense to certain people and that I didn't annoy any.
Cheers.

With all due respect, I mentioned some of the music I evaluate gear with in all my articles. I also try to steer away from mentioning specific tracks for the simple fact most people have different tastes in music and I highly doubt if I mentioned a tune from say Budgie, Frames or say Melodie Gardot a lot of people would know what I'm talking about considering everyone has wide tastes in music. I also take umbrage to the use of the word "agenda". Considering I bought a unit like everyone else I have nothing to gain therefore where's my so called "agenda" you seem to allude to? As for the EL-8 closed back, I was even handed with that review like i am with all my reviews. I'm sorry you hated the EL-8 and the honest truth is if I had the choice I wouldn't buy the closed back for myself either but enough others have and seem to enjoy their purchases.  My apologies for disappointing you so much please feel free to run out and buy a Carbon and post your own review on the thread concerning your findings. I'm sure the thread would welcome other viewpoints

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #2,322 of 5,932
  As requested, we have sound impressions

http://headphone.guru/the-cavalli-audio-liquid-carbon-part-ii/

Nice review DigitalFreak

It had been nice to read about your thoughts and impressions on the less sensitive cans like the HE-6 / Abyss, if the Carbon was able to control does kind of headphones?

Then i think the amps your put up against the Carbon was a little to easy meal for the Carbon to digest, and had also been interesting to compare it to a more expensive amp, like a reference on what you are going to miss out or not miss if you buy the Carbon.

Maybe in part III 
popcorn.gif
  , or next time.. 
wink_face.gif

Keep up the good work!

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #2,323 of 5,932
  With all due respect, I mentioned some of the music I evaluate gear with in all my articles. I also try to steer away from mentioning specific tracks for the simple fact most people have different tastes in music and I highly doubt if I mentioned a tune from say Budgie, Frames or say Melodie Gardot a lot of people would know what I'm talking about considering everyone has wide tastes in music. I also take umbrage to the use of the word "agenda". Considering I bought a unit like everyone else I have nothing to gain therefore where's my so called "agenda" you seem to allude to? As for the EL-8 closed back, I was even handed with that review like i am with all my reviews. I'm sorry you hated the EL-8 and the honest truth is if I had the choice I wouldn't buy the closed back for myself either but enough others have and seem to enjoy their purchases.  My apologies for disappointing you so much 

Thank you for the honest and thoughtful response. Sorry if I sound rude in any way. By agenda I meant what one looks for in terms of sound.
One thing is that I am used to and know well what kind of sound "agenda" certain reviewers have like Tyll from Innerfidelity because he has written many many articles and talks about the FR graphs often. As a result, with reviewers I am used to, I am able to to a certain extent, know already what type of sound he/she looks for and what conclusion to draw myself from reading the review from the reviewer's own conclusion and thoughts. So, it is difficult for me to understand your article personally not only because there are no references a particular recording's particular section sounding different compared to different amps, I don't know all reviewers well. Making matters worse for me in this respect, lack of recordings made it even harder to judge the reviewer's preference in sound.
Hopefully I am making some sense here to you and also I hope that you don't assume I am disappointed so much because every review I read, I keep the YMMV rule in mind. People have different writing styles just as they like different music so please think of what I wrote as just a thought of mine. I'd hate to "judge" someone because I don't represent anyone else but myself anyways.
Cheers.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #2,324 of 5,932
  Thank you for the honest and thoughtful response. Sorry if I sound rude in any way. By agenda I meant what one looks for in terms of sound.
One thing is that I am used to and know well what kind of sound "agenda" certain reviewers have like Tyll from Innerfidelity because he has written many many articles and talks about the FR graphs often. As a result, with reviewers I am used to, I am able to to a certain extent, know already what type of sound he/she looks for and what conclusion to draw myself from reading the review from the reviewer's own conclusion and thoughts. So, it is difficult for me to understand your article personally not only because there are no references a particular recording's particular section sounding different compared to different amps, I don't know all reviewers well. Making matters worse for me in this respect, lack of recordings made it even harder to judge the reviewer's preference in sound.
Hopefully I am making some sense here to you and also I hope that you don't assume I am disappointed so much because every review I read, I keep the YMMV rule in mind. People have different writing styles just as they like different music so please think of what I wrote as just a thought of mine. I'd hate to "judge" someone because I don't represent anyone else but myself anyways.
Cheers.

Ok, I understand where you're coming from now. My apologies, at first read I thought I was being attacked. Its now obvious I wasn't.
I like to keep my stuff as to the point and general as possible so as to be used as a starting point. While you like to use graphs and music as a guide I know enough people who aren't crazy about that style of review and feel as confused as you may be when they're used. Sorry bud, I guess I'm not the type of reviewer that works for you. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #2,325 of 5,932

Nice review DigitalFreak

It had been nice to read about your thoughts and impressions on the less sensitive cans like the HE-6 / Abyss, if the Carbon was able to control does kind of headphones?

Then i think the amps your put up against the Carbon was a little to easy meal for the Carbon to digest, and had also been interesting to compare it to a more expensive amp, like a reference on what you are going to miss out or not miss if you buy the Carbon.

Maybe in part III 
popcorn.gif
  , or next time.. 
wink_face.gif

Keep up the good work!

Believe it or not, those two amps perform very well for their price point. Matter of fact they're quite exceptional for their price point. I do agree though, I wish I had more on hand to give the Carbon more of a challenge. One day my friend....maybe there will be a Liquid Lightening in my future in a few years time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back