☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 6, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #2,116 of 5,932

I just mean that I don't think the Ember and the Carbon will be Matt's two amps.

Oh yeah? I'm willing to add you to my Christmas card list. 
wink.gif

Don't get me wrong, as much as I appreciate what the Carbon brings to the table at it's given price point Cavalli makes better amps. But we all have a budget to work with and my formula always puts most of my budget in the headphone. If I ever "upgrade" the Carbon it would be for a better Cavalli amp. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #2,117 of 5,932
I guess I was very close: Your Order #100000884

I'm going to ask a stupid questions now. Right now I'm running my alpha dogs from my PCs 3.5 so no Amp/Dac. With my purchase of the LC and before I get a DAC could I connect my PC - LC via 3.5mm interconnect?

I'm really wanting to buy some open backed headphones (Ether) before the Dac.

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #2,118 of 5,932
I guess I was very close: Your Order #100000884

I'm going to ask a stupid questions now. Right now I'm running my alpha dogs from my PCs 3.5 so no Amp/Dac. With my purchase of the LC and before I get a DAC could I connect my PC - LC via 3.5mm interconnect?

I'm really wanting to buy some open backed headphones (Ether) before the Dac.

You could do that but ANY kind of DAC will sound 10x better (or more; not to mention cleaner) than a PC 3.5mm output.

The LC would be amping a low quality signal which may actually make it sound worse. 

I want the Ethers too but I'd definitely invest in even a small, cheap DAC/amp like an Audioquest Dragonfly ($150 or less) to take some advantage of the higher-end equipment you'll have.

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,119 of 5,932

You could do that but ANY kind of DAC will sound 10x better (or more; not to mention cleaner) than a PC 3.5mm output.

The LC would be amping a low quality signal which may actually make it sound worse. 

I want the Ethers too but I'd definitely invest in even a small, cheap DAC/amp like an Audioquest Dragonfly ($150 or less) to take some advantage of the higher-end equipment you'll have.

+1. You will severely handicap your Ethers and LC if you use the output of a PC. Agree with gr8 that even a basic DAC will move you light-years ahead. Cheers and happy listening

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #2,120 of 5,932
+1. You will severely handicap your Ethers and LC if you use the output of a PC. Agree with gr8 that even a basic DAC will move you light-years ahead. Cheers and happy listening

Okay I guess a DAC is now on my priority list thanks for the help. I guess I'll head to the DAC thread, need something to read after finishing the 140 pages on this one.

Was hoping to wait for the Yggy trickle down Gungnir that people here have talked about.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #2,121 of 5,932
Okay I guess a DAC is now on my priority list thanks for the help. I guess I'll head to the DAC thread, need something to read after finishing the 140 pages on this one.

Was hoping to wait for the Yggy trickle down Gungnir that people here have talked about.

I know the feeling. Every dollar spent on lesser dacs/amps could easily go towards the best of the best stuff.

Waiting for the next Gungnir myself since the Yggy is too expensive.

Shouldn't be difficult to sell off equipment as you upgrade too.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #2,122 of 5,932

Keep an eye in the source FS thread. Usually something decent and cheap there. Be careful though. I just bought a Dac-19 that is not small, balanced or cheap. It just sorta happened. That happens in the FS threads sometimes.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #2,123 of 5,932
Keep an eye in the source FS thread. Usually something decent and cheap there. Be careful though. I just bought a Dac-19 that is not small, balanced or cheap. It just sorta happened. That happens in the FS threads sometimes.

I would give that statement a +1 ( looks at own feedback in shame). 
redface.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #2,125 of 5,932

I would give that statement a +1 ( looks at own feedback in shame). 
redface.gif

LOLOLOL  
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,126 of 5,932
I just mean that I don't think the Ember and the Carbon will be Matt's two amps.

Oh, so you know Matt:wink:, he'll be several amps down the road by then.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #2,127 of 5,932

FWIR, the DAC-19 basically is the trickle-down Yggy, R2R DAC, just not made by Schiit. But yeah, I can understand putting money down now on the Liquid Carbon because it might be a one-time production run (or at least lower priced than in the future), however the Ether is Mr. Speakers future. If you buy a DAC now, you may have more money saved up to afford the Ether by the time that comes out anyway.

There's a time priority on the Liquid Carbon, but time doesn't much matter for the other components (you have to wait on the Ether anyway). Using a PC motherboard is a "weak link" bottlenecking the performance of your system, which will hold back the performance of anything downstream if you don't buy a good DAC. You already have great headphones in the Alpha Dogs! So, assuming you buy a Liquid Carbon now and a dedicated DAC now, once the LC is released your Alpha Dogs will be noticeably improved and kinda transform into a new headphone already.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,128 of 5,932
FWIR, the DAC-19 basically is the trickle-down Yggy, R2R DAC, just not made by Schiit.

You already have great headphones in the Aa Dogs! So, assuming you buy a Liquid Carbon now and a dedicated DAC now, once the LC is released your Alpha Dogs will be noticeably improved and kinda transform into a new headphone already.

The dac-19 is NOT the same thing as a yggy. They have different dacs, filters, power supplies, and analog stages. That is like saying the odac and the Hugo are the same thing because they use delta sigma conversions.

I agree with the second point though if you have headphones you like stick with them and see if they jive with your setup. As for dacs if you can find a used geek 450 on the for sale forums for less than $150 get that or else just use line out of your PC till you get some dough.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,130 of 5,932
Long time looker / reader, first time posting. Just ordered myself one of these awesome amps: order #100000888.

This is my first ever Head-fi product / purchase, after reading this entire thread and reading reviews and nothing but good things on the web I didn't want to miss out on this run.

I'm in the same boat as James I have no DAC as of yet will the Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 cut the mustard short term? Long term aim will be a Chord 2qute DAC.
My sources will be my Oneplus One (Android phone) running Tidal via OTG USB, or my Sony Z3 tablet compact running the same, I also have a Sonos Connect.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back