☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 9, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #2,146 of 5,932
I just wanted to thank everyone posting in this thread.  After reading the initial post and seeing Jude compare it favorably to the Liquid Gold which is the most amazing sounding amp I've heard... I just had to put in a pre order for one, especially at the current price!

Now the waiting game begins... At least it's only about a month and a half!

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #2,147 of 5,932
I know this isn't the Cavalli DAC thread, but I thought I would mention the ALO "The Key" as another option.  It is a DAC only, not the typical DAC/amp combo that most of the these thumb drive style devices tend to be.  So no double amping...

Speaking of not double amping, yet another good option is the HRT Microstreamer. It has both headphone out AND line-out. So it's like having a Geek Out and the Key rolled into the same compact device.

Also, the Microstreamer has a low power draw which is good if your source is a phone or tablet.

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #2,148 of 5,932
I'm just a bored monkey waiting for my Liquid Carbon.............. Lol!

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #2,149 of 5,932
Speaking of not double amping, yet another good option is the HRT Microstreamer. It has both headphone out AND line-out. So it's like having a Geek Out and the Key rolled into the same compact device.

Also, the Microstreamer has a low power draw which is good if your source is a phone or tablet.

I just got the HRT Music Streamer HD. Its a usb dac only and is larger with balanced xlr outputs.

So far I've run the rca outs to my desktop Aego M speakers. The Streamer HD made my Xonar Essence ST card sound like motherboard audio! Easy setup too: just plug n play on usb 1.0 setting; no driver needed (will install it for 192khz later).

Gonna try some a/b comparisons to the iDSD Micro's dac (via rca out) to see how good the HRT really is. But so far, I'm blown away.

Can't wait for the LC to arrive.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #2,150 of 5,932
  I just wanted to thank everyone posting in this thread.  After reading the initial post and seeing Jude compare it favorably to the Liquid Gold which is the most amazing sounding amp I've heard... I just had to put in a pre order for one, especially at the current price!

Now the waiting game begins... At least it's only about a month and a half!

Hahaha same here I just ordered one. Can't wait to try it with my HD 800 and compare to the Bottlehead crack!! 

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,151 of 5,932
Thanks for all of the DAC advice everyone, I ordered a GO 450 as my interim dac today for £99 new, I think that's a good deal as this is what they sell for second hand or higher. I liked the idea of the HRT micro having dual headphone out as well a dedicated line level out but in the end the reviews and the higher spec of the GO had me convinced. I'm looking forward to trying it out when it arrives.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #2,152 of 5,932
Has anyone heard the Liquid Carbon and the EC Black Widow to compare them?

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #2,153 of 5,932
Gents, here's a post I made to the other Carbon thread.

Production run seems to be moving along well. Please keep in mind that we have been saying later in August or end of August. I have learned though, that things can still go wrong, especially the first production run of a new product. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that all the various production activities stay synchronized and all the parts continue to get here on time.
smile.gif

In the meantime, here are photos of the board for one of the last two pre-production units built. This is, almost exactly, what will be inside your Carbons. You can easily see the small smps transformer (yellow) and the larger components in the supply. There is a lot of capacitance in the supply. There is also a large gap between the HV section of the supply and the rest of the components on the board.

Input section is at the back right. Both amps and PS are on top and bottom of board. In fact, all you see in these pics is the left channel. The right channel is identical and on the bottom side. It is the small amps and the fairly small smps that make a balanced, totally discrete linear amp even possible in this size and flexibility and power output. The power inlet is only temporarily attached for test. In actual units it will be mounted to the back panel.

The relays in the center switch the gain and the ones at the back switch the input source.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,157 of 5,932
Cool!  Now, back to the business of getting headphones, DACs and cables for our Carbon rigs.  Is everyone all set?

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #2,158 of 5,932
  Cool!  Now, back to the business of getting headphones, DACs and cables for our Carbon rigs.  Is everyone all set?

Almost. Have all my balanced headphone cables and adapters plus a few different XLR cables to connect the iDSD Micro and Ponoplayer to it.

But it looks like the HRT Music Streamer HD I got is defective. Spent a few days troubleshooting EVERYTHING but it still stops playing any sound and becomes unresponsive shortly after playback starts.

So much for my plan to add a full balanced dac with the LC. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #2,159 of 5,932

I still need the Ethers. I bought a Dac I didn't know I needed, and spent half the Ether fund. Anyone want to buy a mint silver HA-1, or maybe a pair of Alpha Primes?

Or a kidney?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back