☯️ Cavalli Audio presents The Source AV’s Summer Series 2016
May 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #106 of 442
@warrenpchi
 the Tungstan prototype will be there the 28th, will any of your other amps be there, like say the Gold or Crimson? I want to listen to things I will never be able to afford. :blink:

I am currently with Warren at the moment. He said yes. Everything but the Glass.

May 25, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #107 of 442
I am currently with Warren at the moment. He said yes. Everything but the Glass.

Bummer, the Glass is a wonderful amp too. And it should be showcased too. As much as I love my Crimson, the Glass is just so much better.

May 25, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #108 of 442
Bummer, the Glass is a wonderful amp too. And it should be showcased too. As much as I love my Crimson, the Glass is just so much better.

The Glass is wonderful, but I think each of the three (Crimson, Glass, Gold) has something special about it.  

May 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #109 of 442
  Unfortunately will be missing this one as well, still dealing with family issues. I will be there in July though come hell or high water. Looking forward to the Facebook feed if I get a free moment. Just want to say thanks to everyone for putting these on. 

I hope everything is okay?  Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it.  
redface.gif

...What video?  
confused.gif

The one where in the same post I said: "I'm also going to be uploading the video I took of you and add more with regards to the modding section in the HE350 review."
The video that I took of @Netforce is in my Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 review, here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/massdrop-x-hifiman-he350/reviews/15914. 
beerchug.gif

Oh... that video!  
smile.gif

I want to listen to things I will never be able to afford. 
blink.gif

Don't be so sure about that.  I once thought as you did.  And now look at what's happened!  
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #110 of 442

Don't be so sure about that.  I once thought as you did.  And now look at what's happened!  
biggrin.gif

I suppose so, for now I'll get my fix. 
beyersmile.png

May 26, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #111 of 442
May 26, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #112 of 442

OH
I haven't shared the vid of you dancin' like a mad man at The Source yet MoeDawg! 
biggrin.gif

Damn you crack me up - and gimme a smile when I need it!

I'm goin' over the QA gear we're gonna be using for the ETHER Shoot-Out  - trying different cable combinations and such...
You guys know me! Always tweakin' - well, maybe NOT in the Cali sense of that word 
confused_face(1).gif

But I am LOVIN' my new E-MUs BTW

got em at Canlanta!!

So - for Sat. at The Source & the ETHER Shoot-Out:

I told B (Bruce) that I love to set-up the Gold Edition Stack (seeing peoples responses at Canlanta was AWESOME)  
- but I want to spotlight the new CMA600i headphone amp/DAC, especially since Jason has them in the store!

So I'm working on the best set-up tweaks RIGHT NOW - and I have a question I wanna pose to the Thread:

QA, along with our Patented Current-Mode amplification - also have True DSD mode - which I'll admit, it kicks serious A___ (and there are many reasons I went to work for Bruce - but admittedly, True DSD - and Warren knows this - thats just a bonus, as a music addict I just don't have enough music in DSD to warrant my software supporting it).

As my personal FAVE source (which is mine - as I've spent a long time getting it right):

My MacBook Pro SSD running Amarra Symphony - doesn't do True DSD.
We need one of B's PCs for that - as a driver needs to be installed.

But, if I was going to showcase the 600i - and I had my choice of sources - I'd use the MacBook - simply because, though not True DSD
- the source is still fantastic and it handles ALL of my Hi Rez files.

Do you guys think it's a necessity to show the 600i with a PC in order to get the True DSD lock?

I think we can do both: Have my MacBook (or B's new one) set-up,
and if someone wants to try True DSD we can sort them out w/ the PC.

Your Thoughs????

May 26, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #113 of 442
Why wouldn't a PC handle all your hi res files also?  The only reason to use a Mac that I can see is if you absolutely must have Amarra.

May 26, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #114 of 442

I hope everything is okay?  Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it.  
redface.gif

Thanks for the sentiments, my mother passed a week ago but left her affairs in a shambles as far as legal paperwork and one other family member decided not to wait until we sort it all out and just looted their share so I have probate issues as I cannot account for things. Nothing that an attorney and money can't fix. Only hassle is I am heading out of the country for 18 days and will not be reachable so if things don't settle by mid June they wait until July.  

May 26, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #115 of 442
  Why wouldn't a PC handle all your hi res files also?  The only reason to use a Mac that I can see is if you absolutely must have Amarra.

of course the PCs will handle all my files - but it's a familiarity thing for me. True DSD aside, when I've been comparing the PC here at the Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab (its not really a PC laptop, its more of a Surface-type thing) to my MacBook on the Gold Stack -  I end up going w/ my MacBook Pro every-time. Now - we're running JRiver on the PCS - so its NOT bad of course! 

But, to give you an idea where I'm coming from - as you know I always wanna give the listener the most engaging experience possible:

For example: I had two older fellas - at Canlanta - they said they enjoyed everything they heard on our tables, from the Meze 99Classics/QP1R combo to the 600i - even the Gold Edition Stack.

But this one guy, Marty, I never saw him smile. So, I took that on as a personal mission: I'm gonna get this guy to smile. Now, he liked folky-music, acoustic. And you know Stillhart I got plenty of that along with other pop stuff - but I wanted to really reach him... So I took down the Surface PC runnin' JRiver (and yes, True DSD was locked-in) and pulled out my MacBook - hooked it up to the CAS192D Golden DAC - and asked him what you've heard me ask before: "Mind if I just play you some ear-candy?" "Just let it flow over you - and if you don't like it lemme know" - and I dropped Recondite's "Baro" on him...  That building, minimal tech-house chugger I LOVE - ALLL analog synths and drum machines...

and he smiles EAR-To-EAR - and afterwards, gets the info on the record from me.  
He also went onto say that was the "most engrossing listening experience he had" that day. And he left smiling.

So, I know, this isn't necessarily about quality vs. anything - I just know the source on the Mac better,.

Though I'm playing with JRiver more to get familiar with that as well.

Here's Marty listening to that same Recondite track (per his request) on my Audeze SINEs + QP1R - and that smile...

Do you think having both computers at-the-ready is too much @Stillhart???

May 26, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #116 of 442

Do you think having both computers at-the-ready is too much @Stillhart???

IMHO, yes.  When I have a limited demo session, the last thing I want to do is spend my limited time messing with cables and sources and such.  The goal of this particular event will be to listen to the Ether and Ether C on good setups.  I think either computer will solve that need adequately.

But hey, I'm just one guy.  This is a community event.  I'm sure other people have opinions too.  
beerchug.gif

May 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #117 of 442
Hello Mike,

Will you bring this E-MU on Saturday.
Something tells me that they have the DENON/ FOSTEX sound signature.

I wish I had a chance to review them on the Gold Stack.

-Aj

May 26, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #118 of 442

IMHO, yes.  When I have a limited demo session, the last thing I want to do is spend my limited time messing with cables and sources and such.  The goal of this particular event will be to listen to the Ether and Ether C on good setups.  I think either computer will solve that need adequately.

But hey, I'm just one guy.  This is a community event.  I'm sure other people have opinions too.  
beerchug.gif

That's a fair assessment - so I'll ask B which source he prefers - and I'll be sure to load it up (if it's one of the PCs) with my music and some of his. He actually had a great variety of music on the PCs - it was just a track or two from different records...

Hello Mike,

Will you bring this E-MU on Saturday.
Something tells me that they have the DENON/ FOSTEX sound signature.

I wish I had a chance to review them on the Gold Stack.

-Aj

Hey Aj! YES I was planning on bringing the E-Mu for people that wanna hear it. Though Jason isn't a dealer for it at The Source A/V - I figured I'd bring it along for those who are curious.

I was wondering how he could use the name "E-Mu" considering the widely-renowned and well-known E-Mu synthesizers that mad up most of the sounds of the 80's - but it turns out its the same company!!

I'm PUMPED for this shoot-out - as I've been doing it since they were both on the market!

May 27, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #119 of 442
Here's a little story for you guys.  
smile.gif

I'll begin by describing one of the more useful features of being in an Apple ecosystem.

If you happen to have a multitude of Apple devices, you can have your other devices alert you whenever you get a phone call.  For example, when I get a call on my iPhone, my iPad and Mac Book Pro will also ring.  Moreover, I can even answer from those non-iPhone devices as well.  I usually don't, but I could if I wanted to.  Anyway, my point is, I think it's pretty cool that I can still take a call even though my phone is nowhere near me.

So I'm here at my desk, answering a few PMs, and listening to music.  I'm running Amarra for TIDAL into a Schiit Yggdrasil via several PYST cables and a Wyrd.  The Yggdrasil is feeding the Liquid Tungsten via a Nordost Heimdall II, with the Tungsten powered by a Nordost Blue Heaven power cord.  And all of that, collectively, is feeding a pair of open-backed ETHERs via a DUM cable.

In short, I'm having a pretty good time.  Then Luca Stricagnoli's The Future comes on in my playlist.

There's a little bit of a groove to this track.  But by and large, it's a contemplative tune that puts me into a very mellow mood.  For those of you into alternate guitar playing methods, it's also a fine example of lap-tapping.  Anyway, about 2:20 into the song, Luca starts to really take off with this.

And that's when Brian Hunter calls me.

So now, on this beautiful rig, I'm no longer listening to Luca Stricagnoli.  He's been muted.  Instead, I am now enjoying the instrumental styling known as my iPhone's ringtone.  Typically, I'd be startled by this abrupt change, but Luca has done a pretty good job of mellowing me out, so I just take it in stride... long enough to actually give that ring tone an appreciable audition on this rig.  And lemme tell ya...

The Tungsten even makes the default iPhone ringtone sound utterly fantastic!

So what was my point?  Well I suppose I really didn't have one.  I guess all of this was a long-winded way of saying that the Liquid Tungsten is back here in SoCal - and it sounds amazing!  Thanks Alex!  
smile.gif

May 27, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #120 of 442

redface.gif

Thanks for the sentiments, my mother passed a week ago but left her affairs in a shambles as far as legal paperwork and one other family member decided not to wait until we sort it all out and just looted their share so I have probate issues as I cannot account for things. Nothing that an attorney and money can't fix. Only hassle is I am heading out of the country for 18 days and will not be reachable so if things don't settle by mid June they wait until July.  

I'm so sorry Bob.  
frown.gif
  I went through that, a few years back, and it's never easy.

But I also remember that many of my friends here on Head-Fi helped me get through that time by being there for me... and that made it easier if not easy.

So if you think I can help, you lemme know okay?  
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back