☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Apr 6, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #241 of 1,260
  I'm planning on picking up either the Mjolnir 2 or the new LC, and these comparisons are helpful.  Anyone else have experience with both of these amps?  I unfortunately won't have a chance to listen to either before the ordering time is up for the LC.

Depends on what your primary purpose for the amp is. Transportable = LC, Home = MJ2. Had both and sold both

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #244 of 1,260

Depends on what your primary purpose for the amp is. Transportable = LC, Home = MJ2. Had both and sold both

I plan is to use it mainly at work, but I'll also bring it home occasionally.  If I end up going the Mjolnir 2 route, I'll probably end up building a case for it to keep it safe in my car/in my arms.
smily_headphones1.gif

My main goal is to have excellent SQ for my current headphones (Alpha Dogs/Beyer T90, but I'm getting the Ether C eventually and want it to pair well with it!). I'm also planning on getting the Gungir Multibit eventually, so the amp size doesn't matter to me that much.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #245 of 1,260
Cavalli Carbon at Canjam was amazing with stock HD800.  Actually gave me that "Oh wow" moment that people talk about.  That sealed the deal.  Thank you for providing another run of an amp that I think punches above it's price point even at $799.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #246 of 1,260
  What didn't you like about the Carbon? Curious! 

This is all good info, everyone. Helps us that are trying to make a tough decision. 

Didn't pair well with my Senn HD650's, couldn't power my modded Fostex T20RP mkIII's even in balanced mode, and before anyone cries foul they are extremely hard to power properly (I run the T20RP's off the speaker taps of a 75 Watt/ch home receiver now, and that makes them sing and slam like nobody's business). My Fostex TH-x00 sounded better off my LH Geek Out v2 balanced. The LC did however sound great with my Audeze LCD2.2/3F's... The bottom line was other options sounded better and were a better value. My current travel setup is a Geek out v2 and a Schiit Vali 2 w/Russian 6N23P tube, and it flat out sounds better with the headphones in my stable.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #247 of 1,260

I plan is to use it mainly at work, but I'll also bring it home occasionally.  If I end up going the Mjolnir 2 route, I'll probably end up building a case for it to keep it safe in my car/in my arms.
smily_headphones1.gif

My main goal is to have excellent SQ for my current headphones (Alpha Dogs/Beyer T90, but I'm getting the Ether C eventually and want it to pair well with it!). I'm also planning on getting the Gungir Multibit eventually, so the amp size doesn't matter to me that much.

REALLY! Just ordered the T90 
L3000.gif
 haha

Also was very close to grabbing the Alpha Dogs a while ago. How to you like them? Hows the bass and soundstage mostly. 

Also also.... planning to go Gungnir MB as well!

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #248 of 1,260
Originally Posted by TurbOSquiD67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also was very close to grabbing the Alpha Dogs a while ago. How to you like them? Hows the bass and soundstage mostly.

They are the best closed headphone I've heard yet, they sound fairly open and are very detailed/neutral.  I only wish I could have a larger soundstage (hence my goal of the Ether C!) and the treble feels slightly rolled off, especially coming from the T90s which have very peaky treble.

Back on topic, I really appreciate the amp comparison so far, thanks all!  Could anyone speak to detail level and/or soundstage comparisons between the MJ2 and the LC?  I'm just so curious!

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #249 of 1,260
They are the best closed headphone I've heard yet, they sound fairly open and are very detailed/neutral.  I only wish I could have a larger soundstage (hence my goal of the Ether C!) and the treble feels slightly rolled off, especially coming from the T90s which have very peaky treble.

Back on topic, I really appreciate the amp comparison so far, thanks all!  Could anyone speak to detail level and/or soundstage comparisons between the MJ2 and the LC?  I'm just so curious!

I feel the MJ2, with good NOS Telefunken E88CC Platinum tubes, is far more resolving in detail. Furthermore the soundstage on the MJ2 is a bit larger and is more three-dimensional holographic than the Liquid Carbon. To my ears I feel the LC has sweeter and smoother mids than a MJ2 (with LISST or stock tubes). I also got the LC because its far more portable than the MJ2 or the Liquid Crimson.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #250 of 1,260
Okay! I am reading this and SOOO on the fence/confused because to buy the LC (it will require a bit of financial jockeying to make it possible) or save my money for the Schiit Mjolnir 2 which was my original plan.
I have owned the original Lyr around 3.5 years now and really have no complaints. I only upgraded my Bi-Frost because of a warranty issue which made upgrading an awesome deal! (Schitt Customer Service is awesome btw) The multi-bit was not an option at the time. I own Senn HD600s, LCD-2.1s, soon to have the upgraded drivers from Audeze, and the ZMF Omni in Cherry. I was at a recent Philadelphia Head-Fi meet and the time has come to go balanced as after listening to so many rigs for so long as has made me in the I AM going to upgrade mode...

Upgrading my dac is a future thing as I think I will get more out of the amp at this time and it cost less to upgrade! (Gunir Multi is $1300 and the Yaggi well... Point is no way right now)

The only time my gear comes out of the house is for head-fi meets so trans-portability is not a big deal.

I believe both amps will work just fine with my single ended B-Frost both amps point that out in their details.

I have heard the Mjolnir 2 it sounds as awesome as always. This is where the confusion comes in as you might have assumed...

I know sound is your own opinion and your personal choice I GET that... BUT given that, what do I gain by getting the LC vs. getting the Mjolnir 2 or visa-versa? I like all music from prog. rock to classical.
I watch a whole of Anime and TV on my set up... I have read so many conflicting things that I am driving myself nuts. A bit of clarity will help along a LONG way. I already know there is no right or wrong in the choices. I also upgrade very infrequently if that should enter the equation at all... I am not much of a tube roller either so if that is what it takes for it to sound better...)

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #251 of 1,260
^

Quote:

Okay so I do not yet own and have not heard either of the amps at hand (I live in Europe) so there's that. However what I can say is that Cavalli makes amps that range between 3 and 4 thousand dollars, now wherein price is not everything and expensive is not always synonymous of quality I am very certain it is here - the LC is a limited edition run that will, as it seems, never be produced again whilst the MJ2 is a standard line Schiit amp that retails for roughly the same price.

What I'm trying to say here is if I were in your position and wanted an investment that will last as I upgrade infrequently I'd easily prioritize a limited edition piece that gets endless, unanimous praise from every single person I know/heard of that owns one over an amp that will be indefinitely available for purchase in the future. You may see it differently, just my 2 cents!

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #252 of 1,260
Does the LC have preamp RCA out? Or are the RCAs on the rear panel ins?

single ended input only.

here's the manual

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1155/5966/files/manual.pdf

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #253 of 1,260
@KimbaWLion Here's my 2 cents.  I am running a Schiit Gumby into a Schiit Vali 2 right now, with the intention of going fully balanced with a Mojo2 in the future.  I had wondered about the LC but since they weren't in production, I moved on and focused on saving my rainy day fund for the mojo2.  When the LC came out a few days ago, I was really tempted to pull the trigger, but when I saw the new price was within 50 of the Mojo2, that slowed my roll.  If it was 599, I would be putting my money on an LC.  It does everything I need, takes balanced input, has SE and balanced output, is American made, and people rave about the sound.  However for 50 dollars difference, I've decided that the Mojo2 (my orginal muse) is the way to go.  From guys I've heard that run both, the Mojo2 with upgraded tubes is going to sound better.  I don't prioritize mobility (like you) since mine will be sitting on my desk until a meet comes around.  So I'm going to get the one that can be tube rolled, is meant to be stationary, and that I had my eye on from the begining.  I'm sure the LC sounds fantastic, but for the price point, I'm going to dance with the one that brung me, the Schiit.  But it was a tough decision and I understand if you roll the other way.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #254 of 1,260
  Okay! I am reading this and SOOO on the fence/confused because to buy the LC (it will require a bit of financial jockeying to make it possible) or save my money for the Schiit Mjolnir 2 which was my original plan.
I have owned the original Lyr around 3.5 years now and really have no complaints. I only upgraded my Bi-Frost because of a warranty issue which made upgrading an awesome deal! (Schitt Customer Service is awesome btw) The multi-bit was not an option at the time. I own Senn HD600s, LCD-2.1s, soon to have the upgraded drivers from Audeze, and the ZMF Omni in Cherry. I was at a recent Philadelphia Head-Fi meet and the time has come to go balanced as after listening to so many rigs for so long as has made me in the I AM going to upgrade mode...

Upgrading my dac is a future thing as I think I will get more out of the amp at this time and it cost less to upgrade! (Gunir Multi is $1300 and the Yaggi well... Point is no way right now)

The only time my gear comes out of the house is for head-fi meets so trans-portability is not a big deal.

I believe both amps will work just fine with my single ended B-Frost both amps point that out in their details.

I have heard the Mjolnir 2 it sounds as awesome as always. This is where the confusion comes in as you might have assumed...

I know sound is your own opinion and your personal choice I GET that... BUT given that, what do I gain by getting the LC vs. getting the Mjolnir 2 or visa-versa? I like all music from prog. rock to classical.
I watch a whole of Anime and TV on my set up... I have read so many conflicting things that I am driving myself nuts. A bit of clarity will help along a LONG way. I already know there is no right or wrong in the choices. I also upgrade very infrequently if that should enter the equation at all... I am not much of a tube roller either so if that is what it takes for it to sound better...)

I think the thing you're failing to take into account, and what's confusing you, is the different "house sounds" of Schiit and Cavalli.  Just because two amps may look the same on paper, doesn't mean they'll sound the same.  Schiit amps across the board tend to share some distinguishing characteristics,  as do Cavalli amps.  What you'll find is that people tend to prefer one sound over the other and they will express their preference as "this is better than that".

So with Schiit amps, you tend to get a more dry, analytical sound with lots of power.  This can translate into a bigger soundstage and more apparent detail and space around the notes.  When I heard the MJ2 and GMB (with both stock tubes and LSST), it felt like each note was individually presented for my inspection.  It was a wonderful insight into the music and appealed to the analytical part of my brain.

With Cavalli amps, you tend to get a more "musical" sound without sacrificing detail.  With the Carbon, this translates into a more realistic soundstage presentation at the expense of size.  Also, it's a more musical experience where the notes flow into each other, allowing me to fall into the music rather than inspect it.  The details are still there, but it becomes more about layering and spacial cues rather than a note by note delineation.  

Obviously, I prefer the Cavalli sound as I own two of their amps.  I've noticed that my preferences have shifted from a focus on detail at all costs to an appreciation of the gear that will connect me to the music.  At first, as I was getting into the hobby, all I wanted to do was inspect the extra detail, hear things I've never heard, etc.  Now that I've spent a lot of time in the hobby, I'm remembering that enjoying the music is more important than enjoying the gear.  

One of the best setups I ever owned was an HD650+Project Ember+NFB-15 (Wolfson DAC).  There were certain songs on that setup that just gave me goosebumps in a way that much of the gear I've had since hasn't.  No, it wasn't the most expensive gear, nor was it the most technically superior.  But damn if "Great Gig in the Sky" didn't send chills down my spine every time!  I moved past that setup looking for "better" gear and it's taken me a while to get back to the point where I'm really enjoying the music like I did on that setup.

I guess the point of my rambling here is that people will listen to music in different ways and that can and will change over time.  Is the MJ2 a good amp?  Of course, it's just not my kind of amp.  Other people love the big soundstage and analytical presentation and that's perfectly fine.  Vanilla and Chocolate are both great flavors of ice cream, I just would rather have vanilla if I could only have one today.  What flavor do you want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back