☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Apr 6, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #226 of 1,260
I own the Mojo2 and the Lyr2.. Never got them to the bass level I've heard from LC.  Thus why I'm buying it.  What tubes are you using specifically, maybe I'm using the wrong tubes!

Solid state will have more low bass than tubes. Try the LISSTs for a more apples to apples comparison.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #227 of 1,260
Question- how does the nonrefundable policy work? What if the amp is never produced or released or something like that? Would we be out our money?

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #232 of 1,260
I beg to differ, my Mjolnir 2 hit harder across the entire FR, depending on what tubes were in it at the time. The MJ2 and my Dad's Lyr 2 with Russian 6N23P tubes out hit the LC in the bass department.

Really I don't think it's a fair fight putting a transportatble amp up against full fledged home amps. The home amps did everything better.

Mjolnir?
I've got a couple Russian 6N23P, love them! Very punchy, without being as grainy as my Phillips JAN 6DJ8. They are more punchy than the stock tubes (or LYSST) that Schiit chose. One of the things that is (IMO) cool about tube amps is how much the sound changes based on tube selection, so you can change a lot of the sound that way. I honestly haven't heard the Lyr2 except at RMAF, but I do know tube choice makes a difference. I would expect the LC to have better extension to both ends of the frequency range.

I loved my tube amp for the past... 3? 4? years, but the tube lottery hasn't always been a win, and I was starting to get annoyed with the attention that had to be paid to WiFi proximity and cellphone EMI, and waiting (a very short time) for the amp to warm up. The LC doesn't have those issues, I like it's flexibility, and love the sound. It definitely leant my (humble) K612 some great bass extension and authority, yet surprised me how the newly amped sound was simultaneously more liquid (who woulda thought?) than my other SS amps while also gaining some of the control and detail crispness I'd heard with the Oppo PM2 (got to hear a tour unit shortly before my LC arrived).

I own the Mojo2 and the Lyr2.. Never got them to the bass level I've heard from LC.  Thus why I'm buying it.  What tubes are you using specifically, maybe I'm using the wrong tubes!

Mojo 2? I don't follow everything on Head-Fi, did Chord do this already?
I love the special sound from my tube amp, it's great having both options. Though I end up using my LC almost exclusively since I got it :wink:

The Russian tubes I have are '78 Vokshod 6N23P. Those are great, military-spec tubes, but people also seem to like Reflector-factory tubes from around the same time period. Low grain, low noise, have a bit of a "u-shaped" frequency response. They won't create bass-monsters or a lot of bass bloom for a warm sound (I've got an Amperex like that, white label 1960's, don't like it), but it's definitely engaging while being less fatiguing for me with gunshots in video games than amps I used before (built-in to a Creative Omni, FiiO E12, my Yamaha AVR).

That said, balanced ZMF Vibros, connected to the Liquid Carbon balanced output, blew away anything I'd heard in the bass department before on my SET tube amp.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #233 of 1,260

The tubes are in the text you quoted. If you think the different years of Russian 6N23P are vastly different, you are only fooling yourself. The huge price difference between years is silly. You can justify your purchase of the LC all you want, but there is a reason I sold mine...Oh, and I sold my MJ2 as well.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #234 of 1,260
So, from what I read.... Does the Carbon exhibit more bass and  a bit softer (but still prominent) highs than that of the Lyr 2/Mjolnir 2? Really thinking on this one before I decide to switch around my setup. 

Currently running Bifrost Multibit->Lyr2/Crack->DT990 600ohm | T1 Gen2 | HE-500 

I was either thinking that I could grab an LCD series headphone to get a smooth house sound, or change amps. Tough decisions!

I prefer the LC to the Lyr 2, better bass, soundstage, tonality and treble. It's great with my LCD-3f, but also plays well with my HD800, which I can't say about the Lyr.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #235 of 1,260

The LC will be slightly darker (but also more detailed and extended) relative to the Lyr. Schiit's amps tend to run a little bit on the brighter side of the spectrum. The LC (and any Cavalli amp) will also deliver bigger, harder-hitting bass relative to the Schiit. Dat bass won me over instantly. I've seen more than a few jaws drop to it with the LC on your same DAC. It is truly impressive.

I beg to differ, my Mjolnir 2 hit harder across the entire FR, depending on what tubes were in it at the time. The MJ2 and my Dad's Lyr 2 with Russian 6N23P tubes out hit the LC in the bass department.

Really I don't think it's a fair fight putting a transportatble amp up against full fledged home amps. The home amps did everything better.

To each their own, it's cool. Could be playlist. Could be source. Could be tubes. I feel the Lyr tends to be a little more smooth and mid-centric in presentation, leaning a tad brighter than the Cavalli house sound - not in a bad way, mind you, just different.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #237 of 1,260

Mojo 2? I don't follow everything on Head-Fi, did Chord do this already?

He means Mjolnir 2. People often call it Mojo2 or MJ2 for short. I realize that could be a little confusing.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #238 of 1,260
I'm planning on picking up either the Mjolnir 2 or the new LC, and these comparisons are helpful.  Anyone else have experience with both of these amps?  I unfortunately won't have a chance to listen to either before the ordering time is up for the LC.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #239 of 1,260
  I'm planning on picking up either the Mjolnir 2 or the new LC, and these comparisons are helpful.  Anyone else have experience with both of these amps?  I unfortunately won't have a chance to listen to either before the ordering time is up for the LC.

I second this, as well as what headphones you're listening with please!

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #240 of 1,260

Had them both and liked them both very much. The LC performed better than I expected and was easy to move around.  With the MJ2 its imperative imho to get some good tubes.   The mj2 does not have the SE issue and also is more powerful. Over the long haul my choice would be the MJ 2 with 75 Reflectors.  Will pretty much drive everything you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back