☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Apr 7, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #301 of 1,260

As far as I know, it's refundable until the order period ends.  After that, the only way I see you getting it back is if they cancel the entire run and refund everyone.

Cavalli needs the deposits to purchase parts. If they had to put them on their credit card and then hope people will fulfill their obligation they would go bust. The amp would cost more to cover the loan. The non refundable deposit is so that if you bail then they are not stuck with the bill. Besides, Cavalli is indeed offering the amplifier but it is You (us) who are actually commissioning the amp to be built for you.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #302 of 1,260

Like I said, it's not cheap and the $500 is for a lifetime membership with no yearly or upgrade fees ever.  Isn't head-fi all about 2-channel anyway?

Sorry, by "2-channel crowd" I was referring to the people who spend 5-6 digits on their stereo systems.  I.e. that $500 software is nothing compared to the $50,000 system it'll be controlling. 

Lots of folks here that have spent 5 digits on their audio systems.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #303 of 1,260
Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in for a second to answer a few questions that some of y'all might have.  
smile.gif

How many second run carbons will be available tomorrow and what is the anticipated delivery date?

Originally Posted by Stillhart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I may have missed it but are they limiting the number of units built or is it basically unlimited until May 5?

They've said it'll be open until a certain date, implying that there's no limit.

Hey @gortman, we're planning a run of 500, like the first run.  

However, the final number depends on how many are actually ordered.  This is going to be the last time that we offer the Liquid Carbon, and we realize that there may be more than 500 people who want to take advantage of this final run.  So if it turns out that 520 people order or something like that, we're not going to coldly deny those last twenty guys by citing a hard limit of 500.

I was perfectly happy with my first run Liquid Carbon (good ole #7).  And I was perfectly content with all the swag you are giving to all 2nd run customers.  But then you had to appeal to the gambler in me with those @#$^*&^@* Golden Tickets...

...I don't know which ticket would make me happier.  Oh sweet agony.

LOLOL, that wasn't our intention, but if it's a good hurt... 
tongue.gif
  BTW, we're still working on the best way to revive the golden tickets, and I should have an update for everybody soon.  
smile.gif

And do they come with the same lifetime warranty?

The original warranty on the first run Carbon was 1 year IIRC.  No word yet on what the warranty is for 2nd run.

Hi Keith, we don't know yet.  In the same way that we had to analyze issues and failure rates after the first run had been in the field for a while, we'll have to do the same here.  In the meantime, all of the Carbons will come with our standard 1-year warranty.  
smile.gif

Also as your now including a powercable, will you be sending out the correct plug for each country it's being sent too? A US cord is no use in England
wink.gif

As you've probably noticed by now, there is an option listed for specifying which country's outlet standard you would like.  
smile.gif

@runeight or @warrenpchi; can you tell me if the improved/quieter power supply (now being implemented in this second batch of Liquid Carbons) affects the total power output being delivered to the headphones?

@musiclvr, nope, the 2nd gen power supply will not affect output power either way.  
smile.gif

And hey, I did my part, I bought a used one to free up a spot for you on the new run! :wink:

Good man!  
smile.gif

Massdrop does this kind of "Golden Ticket" thing all the time.  It might be worth contacting Will to see how they handle the legalities.

Actually, @WillBright was kind enough to contact me with some suggestions as he had been monitoring the thread.  And we've been consulting our attorneys since then.  

@warrenpchi Just wanted to say that the order page is well designed. I like it a lot (viewing on a desktop). That kinda thing doesn't usually get mentioned around here, but it's clear that you guys gave it thought. 

Thanks @GrumbleFish!  
smile.gif

@warrenpchi Can those of us lucky enough to get in on the first run still buy a t-shirt?

Originally Posted by rigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe I missed it, but the shirt is for sale?

Originally Posted by kenman345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so any upgrade program available? would lvoe me  ashirt and upgraded power supply.

Since these questions are - strangely enough - somewhat related, I'll answer them together.

So as it turns out, there is a famous fashion designer named Roberto Cavalli.  And of course that company holds the trademark for use of the Cavalli name with regards to fashion and beauty (which of course includes apparel and clothing).  So we're going to think this over just a little bit.  
smile.gif

However, giving t-shirts away as a promotional bonus is something that we'd like to do, which is why we're giving them away as bonuses along with the Liquid Carbon.  I mention this because, while there is no official upgrade package for first-run Carbon owners, we are trying to see if that would be possible.  If it is, then yes, that upgrade package will include a t-shirt.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #304 of 1,260
Lots of folks here that have spent 5 digits on their audio systems.

I don't doubt it.  But I suspect they're in the minority on a site dedicated to headphones.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #305 of 1,260

Sorry, by "2-channel crowd" I was referring to the people who spend 5-6 digits on their stereo systems.  I.e. that $500 software is nothing compared to the $50,000 system it'll be controlling. 

Gotcha!  Not part of that crowd.  It took me many, many years of savings to get what I have. Only wish I could afford that level of equipment.  I tend to be in the 80%, bang for your buck, crowd.  Get 80% of the way there for a lot less.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #307 of 1,260

I'd rather spend $500 towards improving bits-to-sound waveforms than on software that pretends to fix the fundamentally bad choice of a general-purpose computer as a streaming source. The setups that my recently ordered Carbon will join all start with specialized UPnP/DLNA renderers with low-noise power supplies getting their bits from a NAS and feeding DACs through USB>S/PDIF converters/recklockers. They just work, and I can control them with a few $ of software (BubbleUPnP) on my Android devices. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #308 of 1,260

I'd rather spend $500 towards improving bits-to-sound waveforms than on software that pretends to fix the fundamentally bad choice of a general-purpose computer as a streaming source. The setups that my recently ordered Carbon will join all start with specialized UPnP/DLNA renderers with low-noise power supplies getting their bits from a NAS and feeding DACs through USB>S/PDIF converters/recklockers. They just work, and I can control them with a few $ of software (BubbleUPnP) on my Android devices. 

Roon has very little to do with audio output and everything to do with music organization. It's all about the custom metadata database they maintain. It also integrates with tidal. From what I've read, it's a classical music lover's wet dream of an organizational tool.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #309 of 1,260
Thanks Hansotek, I will educate myself somewhere besides this LC thread but I gather that Amarra is a software program in the computer that receives music files and transmits them to an external DAC with the least possible degradation. It bypasses the computers method of doing the same thing. It does a better job in a way that is audible. I think.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #313 of 1,260
  Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in for a second to answer a few questions that some of y'all might have.  
smile.gif

Hi Keith, we don't know yet.  In the same way that we had to analyze issues and failure rates after the first run had been in the field for a while, we'll have to do the same here.  In the meantime, all of the Carbons will come with our standard 1-year warranty.  
smile.gif

One year warranty currently applies to 2nd run, not the 1st run units?

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #314 of 1,260
Its 1100 cad with usps international priority plus i have to pay tax on top of it... I wish it was a deposit like every other cavalli product but its understandable whu they did it.

Comes to over $1000 with FedEx shipping to Japan. Would seriously like one of these, but can't quite stretch my wallet that far. :frowning2:

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #315 of 1,260
Roon has very little to do with audio output and everything to do with music organization. It's all about the custom metadata database they maintain. It also integrates with tidal. From what I've read, it's a classical music lover's wet dream of an organizational tool.

Good point. I guess I'm not nearly obsessive enough about organization. I do fix glaring metadata errors when I notice them, but otherwise, Minimserver (free, but I gave a donation to support the developer) is plenty organized for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back