“Beats by Dr. Dre”
May 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #617 of 634
Quote:
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I find it really interesting that most early posters in this thread said that the Beats they auditioned were perfectly competent cans, but most likely not worth $350. That's in direct contradiction to the opinion on Beats here now. It'd be interesting to see someone confirm that the original line of Beats were actually better, and they got worse somewhere along the line (either because Monster stopped making them, or they started using cheaper components somewhere along the way).

Actually, once EQ-ed beats are not terrible. I've EQ-ed a solo hd and noticed that the bass is actually fast and punchy. But to be honest, compared to other $200 phones, they don't stand. It's too grainy and has small soundstage with awkward placement for a $200 phone.

May 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #618 of 634
Quote:
Actually, once EQ-ed beats are not terrible. I've EQ-ed a solo hd and noticed that the bass is actually fast and punchy. But to be honest, compared to other $200 phones, they don't stand. It's too grainy and has small soundstage with awkward placement for a $200 phone.

Most poorer/cheaper sounding headphones can be eq'ed to match headphones about twice their price. (like how an eq'ed shure srh240 surpasses an un-eq'ed srh440)
I have never tried eq'ing the solos before though, maybe i should give it a try.

May 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #619 of 634
Quote:
Most poorer/cheaper sounding headphones can be eq'ed to match headphones about twice their price. (like how an eq'ed shure srh240 surpasses an un-eq'ed srh440)
I have never tried eq'ing the solos before though, maybe i should give it a try.

I think Solos are worth about $100, or slightly lesser value than M50 once EQ-ed. Tell me how you felt about EQ once you've tried. My impression about beats changed a bit after trying to EQ them.

May 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #620 of 634
I think Solos are worth about $100, or slightly lesser value than M50 once EQ-ed. Tell me how you felt about EQ once you've tried. My impression about beats changed a bit after trying to EQ them.

The entire point of headphones having different sound signatures is to avoid having to tune them yourselves. If a product is unusable until you apply a bunch of personal touches to it, it's a crappy product.

I used to be very big on EQ until I started moving up in the audio world. Now, if I EQ, it's only minor touches, and it's usually on crappy products that don't sound good without it.

May 3, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #621 of 634
Quote:

The entire point of headphones having different sound signatures is to avoid having to tune them yourselves. If a product is unusable until you apply a bunch of personal touches to it, it's a crappy product.

I used to be very big on EQ until I started moving up in the audio world. Now, if I EQ, it's only minor touches, and it's usually on crappy products that don't sound good without it.

Well, the reason I used beats was because I had nothing else on me. I borrowed the beats. I usually don't EQ anything, but I couldn't use the beats with out EQ. I'm kind of against EQ, in fact.

May 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #622 of 634
I just had a chance to use urbeats. I'm surprised. I though it'd be crap. Still bass heavy with a bad tuning, but it has pretty good clarity and detail. At least that's what I've concluded after source matching and tip rolling. With foam, it looses balance and has no clarity, but with tips I bought from earplug store, highs and clarity improves to a acceptable level. Still has awkward mids though.

May 7, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #625 of 634
Quote:
My coworker touts Beats as the greatest headphones around. Often I'll come into work with a Sennheiser Momentum or Shure and his response is always one of calling them junk and to get a real headphone like his beats. I have asked him to do a test with my Momentums, but even after hearing them he thinks it is junk (M's played through Sony Z walkman, E11 with 320kbs).

It annoys me to no end seeing guys on singing reality shows using Beats in the studio, shameless promotion for someone who is meant to be a professional.

Sorry for beating a dead horse, done to death I know.

from 4 pages back, never miss a pun.

May 7, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #626 of 634
After listening to the Beats, I can safely say that they have WAY too much bass. Not good bass either.

However, the $400 ones sound relatively good, with the bass about 5 dB too high. With an EQ on the $400 pair, I'm sure they'd sound relatively decent.

May 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #627 of 634
Quote:
Whoo. More bass than Beats? How much bass does a Basshead need? Too bad that I'm not a bass head, but a mid-treble head. Still, I might recommend XB500 to my basshead friends than(they are non-audiophiles and prefer quantity).

Bassheads require a complete and thorough massaging of their ears every time they listen to music.
L3000.gif

May 26, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #629 of 634
I'd like to show my opinions on the Beats Solos and Studios in four words:
  1. Cheap (as in marketing, Jimmy Iovine, etc.)
  2. Regular (as in mediocre, below average, stupid)
  3. Audio
  4. 'Phones
Or, to put it simply: C.R.A.P.

Because of this, their successors are getting more hate than love. I'm not a Beats fanboy; I love many headphones that are leagues ahead of this one...except for the fact that this came at around a quarter of MSRP.
Well, the Mixrs, too, have a flatter sound signature, which, in my opinion, is an improvement (even if it ain't much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back